Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
The Cube does fine with these CPU upgrades. I've been running one for years, a 1.7 GHZ Sonnet. They all come with a base fan, which takes care of the heat issues very effectively. It is worth keeping in mind though that all of these Macs are 6-7 years old now. That's a long time for a computer to remain in service.

You can also try an Open Firmware reset. Do you know how that is done?

No, how do I do an "Open Firmware reset"?

I agree that it seems odd that the CPU would fail. It's only a little over a year old. The fan seems to still be working fine.

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
No startup chime at all? That's unusual, assuming the speakers are connected and working. This suggests a low-level hardware failure of some kind. Do you have anything connected to this Cube via USB or Firewire?

I've tried disconnecting all of the firewire and USB conntections (except for the keyboard).

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Are you sure it is seated correctly? Maybe it got bumped.

That's a good suggestion. I don't know. I can check it, but that means taking it all apart. I did check to see that the memory was seated.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No, how do I do an "Open Firmware reset"?

Start the Mac up holding down Command + Option + O + F, until a blue screen appears.

At the command prompt type:

reset-nvram [return]
reset-all [return]

The Mac will then (with luck) reboot.

If this doesn't work, you're probably in for a tear-down. It's not fun, I know.

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
I tried connecting the Cube to another Mac (a System 9 Mac) with Firewire, but it couldn't see the Cube from the Mac. Interesting though...it can see the external firewire drive that is connected to the Cube.

Do I need to first start up with the "T" key held down?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
It should actually take a few minutes and find the targeted Mac's hard drive for start up after you turn it on.
This is interesting as I have the same problem on a Cube that previously worked fine. No CPU upgrade, however. Try booting off the targeted Mac's hard drive. I'll bet it is your hard drive.

Also there are some weird settings for the slave master on the Cubes optical drive and hard drive because they are on the same ribbon. I somehow thought this was the issue with the Cube I own because I recently swapped out the dead dvd drive for a working cd rom drive, but haven't played around with it sufficiently to figure it out.

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
It should actually take a few minutes and find the targeted Mac's hard drive for start up after you turn it on.
This is interesting as I have the same problem on a Cube that previously worked fine. No CPU upgrade, however. Try booting off the targeted Mac's hard drive. I'll bet it is your hard drive.

Also there are some weird settings for the slave master on the Cubes optical drive and hard drive because they are on the same ribbon. I somehow thought this was the issue with the Cube I own because I recently swapped out the dead dvd drive for a working cd rom drive, but haven't played around with it sufficiently to figure it out.

It doesn't seem to ever find the hard drive for the Cube (just the external drive connected to it). Is that because the other machine is System 9?

If the hard drive is the problem, why won't it boot up from a System CD? It tries for a while and then just gives the circle with the line through it.

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Start the Mac up holding down Command + Option + O + F, until a blue screen appears.

reset-nvram [return]
reset-all [return]

If I do that, won't it clear out the firmware upgrade that I needed for the CPU upgrade? The CPU upgrade required a firmware upgrade. Of course, I could probably load that again I guess. Is that what you are suggesting?

I think you are right...if these resets don't work, it must be a hardware problem (probably memory or CPU), and I'll have to take the thing apart.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
It doesn't seem to ever find the hard drive for the Cube (just the external drive connected to it). Is that because the other machine is System 9?

If the hard drive is the problem, why won't it boot up from a System CD? It tries for a while and then just gives the circle with the line through it.

The hard drive and the optical drive are on the same cable. Those old Cube optical drives are notoriously crappy.

I bet it is the hard drive. I'm not smart enough to understand the slave/master settings and how they affect the hd and optical drive but google it and maybe take the hard drive out of your Mac os9 machine to put in the Cube to experiment.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
If I do that, won't it clear out the firmware upgrade that I needed for the CPU upgrade? The CPU upgrade required a firmware upgrade. Of course, I could probably load that again I guess. Is that what you are suggesting?

I think you are right...if these resets don't work, it must be a hardware problem (probably memory or CPU), and I'll have to take the thing apart.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it will have any effect on the firmware.

I'm a real doubter that the hard drive could be the cause of your problems, but it's easy enough to find out. Pull out the core and disconnect the drive power. Then try to start up on a CD or DVD.

I'm not sure if I understood your results from Target Disk Mode. If you restart with the T-key held down, you should see a blue screen with a Firewire logo bouncing around as a screen saver. If you don't, then you're not getting into Target Disk Mode.

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
I could be wrong, but I don't think it will have any effect on the firmware.

I'm a real doubter that the hard drive could be the cause of your problems, but it's easy enough to find out. Pull out the core and disconnect the drive power. Then try to start up on a CD or DVD.

I'm not sure if I understood your results from Target Disk Mode. If you restart with the T-key held down, you should see a blue screen with a Firewire logo bouncing around as a screen saver. If you don't, then you're not getting into Target Disk Mode.

Oh boy...the Target Disk Mode doesn't even work. It tries to start up, but then it just shuts off after a while.

One more try...resetting the firmware...hopefully

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007

reset-nvram [return]
reset-all [return]

Well, it never got to the command prompt. It first tried to boot off of the hard drive, coming up with the folder with the question mark, and then it tried to boot off of the CD, and came up eventually with the circle and the line through it.

I think it's time to take the thing apart and hope.

jbstew32

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
The Cube does fine with these CPU upgrades. I've been running one for years, a 1.7 GHZ Sonnet. They all come with a base fan, which takes care of the heat issues very effectively. It is worth keeping in mind though that all of these Macs are 6-7 years old now. That's a long time for a computer to remain in service.

You can also try an Open Firmware reset. Do you know how that is done?

oh I was not aware of that! the cube is much more capable than I thought

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Well, it did apparently turn out to be a hard drive problem. I disconnected the power to the hard drive and it booted off of the CD. So another question...do I need to get a 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch replacement drive?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Well, it did apparently turn out to be a hard drive problem. I disconnected the power to the hard drive and it booted off of the CD. So another question...do I need to get a 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch replacement drive?

You'll need a 3.5" ATA drive (parallel, not serial). Go for about the smallest size you can find. IIRC, the Cube can't recognize partitions over 160 GB.

Happy to hear you found your problem.

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
You'll need a 3.5" ATA drive (parallel, not serial). Go for about the smallest size you can find. IIRC, the Cube can't recognize partitions over 160 GB.

Happy to hear you found your problem.

O.k. I bought a 160 GB hard drive (ATA). I assume that should work. Thatnks to all for the help. I learned quite a bit for the future. I hope everyone else did too.

Another question...I remember that there is a way to use the firewire connections between two machines to format the drive (that's how I did it the first time). I have another Cube. Do I just connect them together, or is there some command that I need to run?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Another question...I remember that there is a way to use the firewire connections between two machines to format the drive (that's how I did it the first time). I have another Cube. Do I just connect them together, or is there some command that I need to run?

Target Disk Mode? You could do that, or just use the system install discs, which you'll presumably need anyway.

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
O.k. I bought a 160 GB hard drive (ATA). I assume that should work. Thatnks to all for the help. I learned quite a bit for the future. I hope everyone else did too.

Actually, what I mean is not just to format the drive, but to copy all of the applications and everything over too. Otherwise, I have to spend hours searching for CDs and installing all of the applications one by one.

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Target Disk Mode? You could do that, or just use the system install discs, which you'll presumably need anyway.

Yes, it is target disk mode I think (how do I get to that?). Of course I have the original install disks, but I don't want to do every application over again if I don't have to. I remember that it only took a few minutes to do last time (instead of the long time it would take to install each app one by one).

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Yes, it is target disk mode I think (how do I get to that?). Of course I have the original install disks, but I don't want to do every application over again if I don't have to. I remember that it only took a few minutes to do last time (instead of the long time it would take to install each app one by one).

I don't know how orthodox it is, but I just go to utilities with one disk in target mode or fw connect, and go to "restore" where I copy the hd I want onto the new one. But if your hd is dead, this won't work.

I think you just helped me fix my own cube, I thought it was a hd problem and you proved me right.

ajedrez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
I don't know how orthodox it is, but I just go to utilities with one disk in target mode or fw connect, and go to "restore" where I copy the hd I want onto the new one. But if your hd is dead, this won't work.

I think you just helped me fix my own cube, I thought it was a hd problem and you proved me right.

Excellent. I'm glad that my problems were able to help someone else. :)

Actually, your suggestion will work. But I'm going to copy from my other cube to the broken one. I'm replacing the disk on the broken one, so it should work I think (if the "restore" command is the one I'm supposed to use to copy all of the files from the other Cube onto my new replacement drive).

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Excellent. I'm glad that my problems were able to help someone else. :)

Actually, your suggestion will work. But I'm going to copy from my other cube to the broken one. I'm replacing the disk on the broken one, so it should work I think (if the "restore" command is the one I'm supposed to use to copy all of the files from the other Cube onto my new replacement drive).

Yes, this has worked for me previously, machine to machine in target mode. Love those cubes, have a great Cube Thanksgiving!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.