mac droid integration

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lyons1005, Nov 12, 2009.

1. lyons1005 macrumors newbie

Here is the situation. I'm a young professional, living independent of my parents, with the exception of my cell phone. My dad depends on his cell phone for work, and therefore likes the better verizon coverage in his area. I like not paying $80 per month for my own plan. Right now I don't even have a data plan so I only cost him $10 a month. If I get the droid I'll pay the additional $30.
    The other half of the story is that I'm a life long mac user. Trust me I would love an iPhone on verizon. I am sure the iPhone is far superior to the droid. My question is this. What, if any, integration do you foresee between Android and Apple products? Mainly mac apps, like iTunes.
    Again I am not asking for comparisons of the iPhone to the Droid, I just wanted to ask the mac community how they think Apple will treat the droid and droid/mac users?
    Cheers.

2. lostingamma macrumors member

i foresee none, except perhaps using bluetooth to transfer files. im no psychic

that being said, u might want to check this out:

http://www.doubletwist.com

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple is extremely unlikely to support the droid in iTunes.

4. Morn macrumors 6502

It'll be up to Google.
    They'll have to make a mac app to read your iTunes library, and then sync it over to the phone.
    Blackberry has done this.
    But I don't think Google is bothering.
    For as long as cell phone companies treat the music playing function as just another app, rather than a primary function of the device just as important at phone calls. iPod users will keep picking iPhones.

5. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

To parrot what the other two posters have said, :apple: has no obligation to support competitors media devices. That being said, you can mount the droid as a USB device and manage your media via Finder. I know its not the best solution but it works.
    Doubletwist is currently your only other 'easy' solution.

I dream of a day when ALL connected devices can sync over the air. I'd love to wake up and my phone has downloaded my music/movies/files for the day. My car has downloaded my Friday drive music selection and my refrigerator has sent me text msg grocery list. My range/oven of course just texted me that it burnt the lasagna and I need to stop and get a pizza :D

6. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why in the world would they add connectivity to a competing product. They're in the business to sell hardware. They open up itunes, they'll sell less iPhones.

Not going to happen

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

You mean like a Windows version of iTunes!? Blasphemy!:rolleyes:

Just because iTunes doesn't yet support the Droid doesn't mean it won't. But like others have said, Doubletwist seems your best bet for now.

9. MTI macrumors 65816

Are any Droid owners using Motorola's Media Link?

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The iTunes/Palm Pre back and forth means they will never officially support the Droid.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Except that having a Windows version of iTunes means they'll sell more iPods/iPhones. Adding connectivity for the Droid wouldn't help them in any way.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Droid will get itunes support right after apple lets palm use itunes legally :rolleyes:

There's a difference between creating a windows itunes app and letting competing devices access itunes.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Well

Apple supporting a phone on another network and a competitors product is unlikley. Like the pre if any look for it to come through on Droids side if any not Apple.

14. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

The only reason they would support other devices would be to get people to buy a Mac and that's not the case anymore. Not enough people would not get a Mac over not being able to sync an Android phone or a Blackberry or whatever to justify allowing other devices to sync.

15. MTI macrumors 65816

Years ago Motorola had iTunes integration in the ROKR and SLVR series of phones, so there is a historical precident . . . just like when Apple sold all those shares to Microsoft . . . remember kids, it's all about the money. ;)

16. Morn macrumors 6502

Which is why the DOJ will have to force it in an anti-trust lawsuit.

17. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

No way. DOJ can't force a company to support products is doesn't make. That doesn't make a lick of sense.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You keep using that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

There are other smartphones, there are other operating systems, and there are other sources of online music. Apple is not a trust nor is it a monopoly.

19. MTI macrumors 65816

When the iPod and iTunes first arrived, neither supported Windows, remember? There was a third-party software company that allowed iPods to sync to Windows PCs and then . . voila' . . . iTunes for Windows put them out of business.

What was in it for Apple? More iPod sales to the much larger PC owner base and more sales of content on iTunes. Again, it's all about the money.

20. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Doubletwist was really slow for me, I used Songbird and an extension FolderSync to copy stuff like my media over. The extension can create .m3u files and directories based on the metatag info.

21. Morn macrumors 6502

Tying products together to form a monopoly, is exactly what anti-trust laws exist to stop.
    And this is easily as bad if not worse as anything microsoft ever did.

22. lyons1005 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies.
    I personally think apple won't officially support iTunes on the android OS, and it really pisses me off. For years I have stuck with apple and the mac OS, despite great software companies not always feeling the need to make a Mac version of their software. Apple was the underdog fighting for it's share of the market, fighting the IBMs and Microsofts. Well, now, in the smartphone market the tables are reversed. Apple does have a market share, a darn big one, that is ever growing. Now that they are the top dog its time for them to show thier true colors. And I don't doubt that I was naive, but I hoped they would be different then those corporations they once stood against.
    But, I could see it coming. The only reason a windows version of iTunes exists is to sell iPods to PC users. The only reason for a windows version of Safari, to promote and ease a switch to OSX. The iPhone SDK only runs on OSX, so programmers are forced to buy a apple computer for the sole purpose of iPhone app development. I'm glad more computer users then ever are using Macs. I know this can only bring good things, and more good products.
    But I wish apple would take a lesson from Microsoft's mistakes, and take a lesson from Google's success. iTunes is easily the best music player available. The zune fails not because of it's hardware, and not even because it's software is unusable. It fails because there is a better, more prevalent music software available and if you buy a zune you can't use it. Google maps and Gmail got to the success they have reached today, because google allowed everyone and everybody to use them. You don't need a google or Gmail account to access google maps. You don't need to use Chrome to use Gmail. They made a quality product that succeed because it was better then the competition.
    I know apple can do this, they make great, intuitive products. At the end of the day no mac user would pick any phone over the iPhone. What does apple really loose by letting android sync with OSX. AT&T is the only one who would loose, because I know whenever an iPhone is available to Verizon, which will happen, I'll get one. Until then I'll take it on the chin, and remember how apple treats it's loyal customers.
    Also I'm not using doubleTwist or any other program, I spent to much time organizing 100+Gb of music on iTunes, I doubt the info will transfer smoothly. Also I love the idea of controlling my iTunes, that plays over my airport express, with my phone. I guess the plus side is that an android app for grooveshark will be out soon, probably before their is an iPhone app for it, if there ever is one.