Mac Fan Software?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Huntn, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Is there a Mac fan control program that is recommended? I have heard of SMC Fan Control but what I read about it was mixed.

Is a fan control program a good thing, or should I just let the Mac handle it's own cooling? Is there a decidedly bad thing that can happen from using a program like this? I play WoW, and that is when I usually notice my MBP fan running non-stop. I'm thinking that when the computer heats up regardless if you have installed a 3rd party program or not, the fan is going to be running continuously anyway...

I did a search in this forum and did not turn up a related thread. If there is a dedicated MacRumor thread on this subject, a link would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pretty much. I like SMC fan control because I'm a control freak and like to see what my fans are spinning at. You're right that the MBP will automatically adjust fan speed, but some people like to change the threshold temperature at which the fans kick in.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the reply. It would be interesting to know if having the fans cut in early could make a difference on the top end steady state temp when playing a high demand application?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doubtful, more likely it would just increase the time it takes for the temperature to reach it's maximum.

5. hamish5178 macrumors member

I'm pretty sure the only trade-off is slightly reduced battery life if you choose to run the fans higher.

I can't even notice a difference, and even if I could, the lower temps would be worth it.

6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

cooler

I set smc fan control to 2450 for both fans all the day, and the unit runs very cool now, bout 120-130 f. UNLESS of course there is some FLASH video, when i kicks up to 150 or so. What is up with THAT!?