Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is it possible to keep a specific size, as far as width is concerned, for the Mac Finder Sidebar? Can one set a specific width and save it as a standard width for all finder windows?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
No. At least not natively within the OS. Built-in flexibility and the propensity for user tweaking makes this a problem.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Because it allows so much flexibility, it's difficult or impossible to standardize the width of the Sidebar. Way back in OS9, things were more rigid and did not change when you reopened a folder. With OSX allowing multiple Views and settings, Finder no longer saved the View for each folder, and modifications made to one window showed up when opening another (not settings, but things like window size).

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I dont see the difficulty in this case though. I only need the sidebar to fit to a width thats relevant to the "names" to the favorite folders that can be set there. Thats all i wanted :)

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If i recall correctly, in older OS's this was an available feature!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
See post #4. In those days, there wasn't a sidebar. I can't speak to OSX prior to Leopard, but my hunch is that the flexibility of window views was present all the way back to 10.1, along with the sidebar. OS9 would also remember each window's position on the screen. I had elaborate cascading folders, etc. All that went away when I upgraded to Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.