Mac G4 newbie

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maniakul, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Maniakul macrumors newbie

Hello, i got today a Mac G4 with 768 Memory of RAM, 30giga IBM 5400 RMP, ATI Rage Pro 128 and 400 mhz i belive but im not sure about CPU. Im really excited about this but i got no ideea how to instal an OS and what OS i can run on this Mac since im a real noob to mac because im a windows user since like ever so i dont have any os on the mac. Anyway i intend to use this computer for internet mostly just surfing chatting and basic stuff nothing much. Need some serious help please.

2. Maniakul thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Frisco macrumors 68020

You need to get Mac OS X Tiger (recommended). What OS is on there now?

4. Gee macrumors 65816

What stuff does it currently have installed? I would have a play with it in its current state for a few weeks before deciding whether you want to upgrade/update anything.

5. Maniakul thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't have nothing instanced, hard drive is empty.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You don't have an operating system on it? If not, go buy a copy of os x Tiger now, along with iLife (and iWork if you feel like it). Install Tiger (put the disk in the tray, close it, and restart holding down the "C" key until you get a menu... proceed from there. Then insert the iLife disk and install all that once you get set up. There, you're ready to go... though the G4 is old, it's good... so good luck.

7. Maniakul thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, but some guy said i have to do a firmware update before i can instal an OS, how do i do that?:)

8. Frisco macrumors 68020

What model do you have? An old PowerMac?

Some older Macs do require a firmware upgrade before upgrading to OS X. Here is the list.

The problem for you is-if you require a firmware upgrade you will have to already have an OS on your computer to perform the firmware upgrade. Either OS 8 or OS 9.

9. Maniakul thread starter macrumors newbie

Its 400 mhz 768 ram 30 giga 128 ati rage pro and a G4 box. Dunno if its that old and if its require a firmware. But i can instal mac os 9 and do the firmware then instal mac os tiger 10.4.10?

10. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

During the install process it will tell you whether or not you need to update the firmware. Just try it first. If it has 768 mb of ram, it should have ran OSX. Enjoy!

11. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

12. Maniakul thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, well i hope i will just try to instal Mac OS X 10.4.10 i belive, is it on dvd or cd? because im not sure if i have a dvdrom :D

13. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Well they make both CD and DVD. You should have a dvd, it should say on the front.

14. Maniakul thread starter macrumors newbie

oh i forgot to mention that the mac os already had mac os x 10.4.xx tiger version. do i still need to update the firmware to instal tiger mac os x 10.4.10?

15. Gee macrumors 65816

no

16. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

17. Maniakul thread starter macrumors newbie

Im such a noob windows user and starting to get inlove with mac :D so i found out exactly what mac i have and as i said i had tiger X on it but hard drive was formated its g4 version with digital audio http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58418
    cheers :) can some1 confirm 100% that i just need to buy mac os x tiger 10.4.10 and instal it without any complication like firmware update and if this os its the best os i can run on this system? sorry im such a mess i hope some1 will read my humble and pathethic post. and yea my english sucks

18. Frisco macrumors 68020

Yeah the firmware update must have been done already since it already had Tiger (10.4) on it. Tiger is the latest OS until October when 10.5 Leopard comes out.

19. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Howdy!

I've tinkered with Leopard on a G4 1.5Ghz and I would *not* reccomend it at all... unless something gets improved by the October timeframe, at least! Buy Tiger (10.4) from any local Apple retail store, or apple.com

Follow the steps the other guy said and you should be good -- don't worry about any firmware updates with that one.

20. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Heya, and welcome to Apple!

Even at that speed, you'll get a decent amount out of that machine. If you need a dvd drive, let me know (PM me), I have a couple spares and could just send you one for the cost of shipping...

21. Maniakul thread starter macrumors newbie

http://aycu26.webshots.com/image/23985/2001084503750129173_rs.jpg
    started my computer today and pressed programmer button and it showed this. i also had a mac os x but it didn't boot it just showed that small icon on the midle with question mark with blue background inside and some face. Check the pic i uploaded maybe can u guys figure it out on something and whats wrong :(.

22. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

you need to hold down c when starting from a disc

23. Maniakul thread starter macrumors newbie

24. Frisco macrumors 68020

Just the c key. It's not working?

25. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Hang on... I thought you said you had OS X installed already?

If so, you just need to run software update.

Also, your CD drive should be a DVD-ROM