Mac G6 anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bruiser05, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Bruiser05 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know, if or when Apple is going to come out with a Mac G6 or something similar? Does anyone think that they are just going to continue to revise the G5? I've been waiting to finally upgrade my G4 that I got in '99 and hope that this will finally happen.
    Thanks.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Umm...Apple has moved away from PowerPC chips to Intel chips.

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Apple isn't going to do either one. They have ditched PowerPC processors altogether in favor of Intel. So no more G5 or G6 or anything else G-related

4. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say never.

Just a guess :D

5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

He's pulling your chain. Apple has made a switch to intel chips, G5 was the last Power PC chip.

http://www.everymac.com/index.html

this website gives you a pretty good breakdown of what the current/previous models are. As does apple.com

Keep in mind that the PowerMac is now the Mac Pro, the Powerbook is the Macbook Pro, etc.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

At the extreme risk of sounding gullible (I just woke up), There is and will never will be any future "G" series development on Apple's part. There hasn't even been a G5 line of Macs for quite a while now. That's the Motorola line of processors, and unless you've been in a cave for the last couple years, Apple is now entirely & exclusively Intel-based, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

7. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Um. No?

Yea, G5 is done with, there will never ever be a "G6."

Using Intel now. Where have you been?

8. Bruiser05 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand the naming issues of the G series, but I was really referring to the question of whether or not Apple was going to release a completely new MacPro computer or just continue to update the current style/model?

9. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

i thought he was talking about the imac G4.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Apple already dumped the G5; the Xeon found in the Mac Pro is the replacement, so it's already the equivilant of a "G6".

There will never be a G6, Apple has dropped the PowerPC processors.

11. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

lol, no one knows for sure but the macpro is due for an update very, very, soon. so wait a little and buy after this update.

12. Bruiser05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Different body style perhaps?

Thanks for all of the comments. Also, what about a new HD screen for the computer?

13. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Aesthetics are really not very important for a tower, and the Mac Pro is completely re-engineered inside. The guts of the machine really don't resemble that PowerMac G5 at all. The Mac Pro will continue to get updates, and it might get a new case design soon, but there's no reason to believe that it's going to be re-engineered again any time soon.

14. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

This had been proposed in the past, but the rumors have died down, however I think a parts upgrade is more likely. Either way, with it so close it's def worth waiting for.

15. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

You'd have to give us more info about what you're looking for

16. Bruiser05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically, I've been a long time apple user and have been waiting for a long time to buy a new mac. I'm a graphic designer and love the power of a desktop computer. Until I can't afford both a laptop and desktop. At my last job, I was fortunate to work on an Intel G5. Since I left and went freelance, my G4 works fine, but it is slow and I want something new. I'm not as technical with the terms for whats in the computers, but I would like to get the latest and greatest. I just wasn't sure if there was something entirely new on the horizon.

17. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I think you know this already, but if so you need to implement the knowledge: To avoid any more unnecessary comments and confusion by the general forum population, let's set one thing entirely clear. There is no such thing as an Intel G5. "G5" is a processor, not a type of computer. The PowerMac is a type of computer that at one point used a G5 processor. The Mac Pro is a replacement for the PowerMac, and it has never used a G5 processor. Saying "an Intel G5" is basically the same as saying "an IBM Mac," which I'm sure you wouldn't do.

18. termina3 macrumors 65816

Separate from the amount of time since the last Mac Pro update, there's nothing to indicate one is coming. Currently the latest and greatest is the 3ghz octo-core version of the Mac Pro.

19. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I think Bruiser may be getting a bit anxious about Power because of things like this...

"The Power6 processor, unveiled at an event on May 21 in London, is a dual-core chip with a top clock speed of 4.7GHz. The new chip also includes 8MB of L2 cache and an internal bandwidth of 300GB per second."

It's too bad that:
    1) This chip will never be put into a MacPro.
    2) It will be a long time before a MacPro will be this fast.

The fastest Intel chips can only dream of the same performance the Power6 is capable of.

This really puts things in perspective for me. :D

20. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Please, please, please, please...... Tell me you're joking or just messing with us....

www.apple.com/macpro

Unless you're back from the dead or just really ignorant about Apple's computer lineup, I really hope you're just trolling...

~Crawn

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The naming of Apple's professional tower was never in line with a design, it was named after the processor. The current tower is not a G5 because it doesn't have the G5 processor in it. It looks like the old G5 but is not called a G5.

You can't be using an Intel G5. The G5 is not the tower's design, it was the processor inside it.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The G naming scheme was to transition away from the silly CPU naming scheme of old -- because it was confusing for the consumer, and IBM and Motorola used different PowerPC CPU numbers.

Don't worry IBM/Freescale/Motorola are gone along with the PowerPC CPUs -- and the G-numbering scheme.

Unfortunately we do have Intel and another batch of silly names for both chipsets and CPUs -- which will confuse you.

So a little reasearch is once again required, instead of buying the G-model with the faster clock rate.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Of course that chip is probably like the G5 where it runs too hot to be in a normal desktop or notebook, and uses a lot of power compared to intel chips or earlier PPC chips.

24. TimJim macrumors 6502a

25. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Mine is still running.