Mac Game Deals?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by nhexima, Jun 17, 2008.

1. nhexima macrumors member

Does anyone know a good place to get cheaper/discounted games? As a new Mac owner, I'm really surprised that Mac games tend to be more expensive and hold their prices far longer than games for consoles and PC. Even games that are several years old tend to cost around $40.

I'd rather support Mac game development and buy those versions when I can, but it's really hard to justify the enormous difference most of the time (for example: a month or so ago, you could get the PC version of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for $10, brand new, off newegg! That's a 5x difference!) Unfortunately, most cheaper games ($20-30 or less) tend to be a tiny selection of indies, or games that are so old they require Classic, which is no longer an option.

So, any good sites, forums, or online stores? Also, is it true that Apple takes a cut of sold games (similar to the way Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft do for licensing console games)?

2. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I'd like to know possible answers to this question as well.

I'd like to buy Civ IV and the add-on packs, but they're all way too expensive. The PC price has dropped by about one-third (or more) over the years, but you can't find the Mac version for less than the RRP from any reputable seller.

3. Dan.Dare macrumors member

Discount Mac game retailers don't seem to exist. And I have no idea how old Mac games retain their value. Star Wars Battlefront and Call of Duty 2 are still being sold on Amazon Uk for £30, which is unbelievable given their age.

The whole set up with Mac's discourages gaming - the hardware is overpriced, the game choice limited and overpriced. It's hardly a selling point to the young gamer considering a change of platform

4. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Every hardcore Mac fans knows that Apple Mac's are not made for games. They could but there not. Even with all the recent hardware and power, it is still not has good than a PC (don't misunderstand me, I love Mac's and hate PC, specially Windows). Saying that, I do run a bunch of recent games on my iMac 3.06. The prices are expensive but if you go on Feral site, they good really good deals and prices.

5. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

The only games I have on my Mac are Mac made games (Frenzic, Ambrosia stuff, etc.) and Battlefield 2142. But of course I do plan on buying Spore and Starcraft 2 but that's all the Mac gaming I do. I would really suggest you check out Ambrosia, great games.

6. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

No, Apple takes no cut.

Mac games holding their original price longer is just a market reality--and many Mac game companies have to pay so much to the game's owners (and middleware) that there isn't much room left to discount, AIUI. But it's worth it to me, since I REALLY like gaming (Quake Wars lately), I REALLY like OS X, and I really HATE rebooting hassle :)

The good news is, this market reality may improve,--gradually... eventually--as the Mac market keeps up its steady growth.

If you want discounts on Mac games--SMALL discounts, at least--try Amazon.com or GoGamer. I bought from GoGamer and it was hassle--I won't do it again--but I saved a few bucks on Quake Wars.

So my recommendation is Amazon. The best deals are if you can get in your "Gold Box" discounts (at top of screen). Try putting the game in your wish list, and then keep checking the Gold Box to see if they offer you any incentive! (Amazon sometimes even has smaller discounts for everyone--just their standard price. And shipping is free. But Gold Box saves maybe a buck or so more, if you can get it. Some luck involved.)

Don't expect a big discounts though. Not for a LONG time.

And anyway, if games were $20, I'd buy more... and play each one less... and have the same amount of fun for the same annual cost as I have now! In fact I'd get into each game less deeply, since some other shiny thing would always be along to distract me :p

BTW, Quake Wars DOES have the depth to be worth $50. Get it! :) Look at it this way: if a piece of software is worth $50 then it's worth it. If someone ELSE can get it for $10, or could get it earlier, then that may irritate, but you're still getting value for your money--the same fun and the same features. If it's not worth the price to you, of course, then that's that. If you have any interest in class-based team cooperation, then in my view QW without rebooting is worth the price.

7. Foop macrumors member

The other way to look at this is when you buy a Mac game it's possible to pay $50 for it new, play it and sell it when you're done for $35 - $40. Try doing that with a Windows game where they depreciate so fast you're lucky to get $20 back after 6 months use. If you're willing to sell your games when your done I actually think Mac games cost less on a per game basis in the long run.

8. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Good point. I tend to be a "collector" so that I can go back and play old games--but with most old games I don't go back very often. I should eBay some.

But... I LIKE my games :eek:

9. nhexima thread starter macrumors member

Amazon's current Deal of the Day is Neverwinter Nights 2 for $23, just a heads-up.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Keep an eye on ebay for Mac game deals. However in some cases I've seen old games sell for more than they did when they were new! Supply and demand at work.

11. mBurns macrumors 6502

Like universal Halo.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That's one of the things that has always bugged me about Mac gaming- in many cases (unless it becomes a big hit) a new Mac game is released, the production runs for a while, then shuts down, supply dries up. I remember seeing a game like Myst on ebay that sold for $70.

And if it is one of the big games that can still be found at the Apple Store, like Neverwinter Nights, you can be looking at a game that is several years old and still priced at $40.

Because of volume of sales, PC versions of old games and those re-released as "classics" are easier to find and at a lower price.

13. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

if you're going to be playing a lot of different games, it's worth just buying a copy of xp to take advantage of cheap pc game prices, not to mention the greater variety.

14. chuckiehina macrumors member

As long as you don't want the newest

Go eBay. But only pickup used games and make sure they are the Mac versions. It is usually fairly easy to find them after 6 to 9 months but you might have to look for a week or two. I would stay away from new games on eBay, to many rip-offs and pirates. Used games are pretty safe.

15. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Or take that $70 and get an OEM copy of XP and use Boot Camp.

Steam, GOG, Direct2Drive, and that one from the GalCiv developer all have weekend/periodic sales. This weekend's Steam sales:

World of Goo $5
    UT III $11

Not to mention all the great old games like Fallout that work perfect in Windows XP and fail in OS X because they were abandoned years ago. I have stacks of old Mac games that don't work anymore or work poorly because there is no universal binary. Heck I never even got to play Stubbs it just sits on my shelf.

I bought Civ IV, and will probably get Age of Empires. But after than I won't buy any ports ever again. Which means I get Blizzard and maybe EA games.