Mac Games

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by commerce, Aug 12, 2010.

1. commerce macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering where you pick up games for the Mac? All the retail stores only sell games for PC.

Also, is steam any good for macs?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Who buys games in stores any more? Order from amazon or any other online retailer and/or just buy a download version.

3. commerce thread starter macrumors newbie

Stores normally have big discounts. Any way, do mac games tend to be more expensive then PC games?

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Not as big as Amazon. Yes.

5. AD7863 macrumors newbie

AD7863

There are barely any games for Mac which is why I installed Windows with parallels and install games on that. Now I can play all Windows games aswell.

6. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

I'm suprised that you can even find PC games in retail outlets. In the UK it's all PS3, Wii or XBox360.

For Mac games, keep a close watch on previews and reviews of offerings at some of the Mac Games sites, ie. http://www.insidemacgames.com/ or in your Mac magazines.
    Then check for downloadable (or cover CD) demos. That way you avoid most of the bad games and buy the stuff you like.
    Then buy from Amazon. Downloadable games are great, but nothing beats having the physical CD / DVD in your hand.
    Avoid EA games, the anti-piracy measures are extremely annoying to those that actually buy the games. Only the pirates have ways round their anti-piracy measures, so ironically, they enjoy the game a lot more than if they'd paid for it.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

8. seb-opp macrumors 6502

They are though! PC games usually are reduced in price after a few years while mac versions generally don't receive as heavy discounts, sometimes don't get discounted at all!

9. Jomskylark macrumors regular

Steam is nice, but there aren't very many Mac games there. There are also bundles such as MacHeist that sometimes contain games.

10. Blair230 macrumors regular

If you have a micro center near you, check them out. They usually have decent prices on mac games, sometimes even discounting them heavily. For example, I bought C&C 3: Red Alert for Mac for $14, and that was about 4 months ago.

Otherwise I check half.com or ebay. Usually have good prices there as well!

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

On a simo release, they are the same price, but what you are saying is true. I remember seeing 5 year old games in the Mac store for $40. :)

12. zao8350 macrumors regular

mac games are a good bit more expensive. and they are generally late releases. steam would be your best bet just because it has valve games which are about the best games for mac i've seen. other good mac games (that are old) are XIII, alice, warcraft 3, fable, and quake 4. as far as EA games being annoying with their DRM, this is true. i just crack the games (not totally sure what MR thinks about that) but i bought the game so i'll play it with or without internet.

13. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Steam's my first choice. If they don't carry it, always Amazon.

14. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

I saw Diablo II in NZ at the start of the year for NZ$40, about £18 / US$30. Diablo II was 10 years old early this year.