Mac Help: Software Update and Trackpad problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nick Jinks, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Nick Jinks macrumors member

Hey, first time poster here. I'm having a few problems with my MacBook Pro:

a.) Every so often the "Text highlighting" command [Hold+Drag mouse across text] seems to go haywire and refuses to turn off.

b.) I also seem to get occasional selection box problems, with selection boxes displaying the same behaviour.

Could this be a mechanical problem with the mousepad? It isn't consistent and only started happening in the last few days.

c.) The software update program doesn't seem able to find the updates. For example, Pages will tell me there is an update to download, but software updater can't find the update. This has happened for long periods of time over the last year or so, but seems to sort itself out after 3 months or so.

Is there a file I can delete or fix to sort this out? I'm not sure which updates I haven't received. I've already deleted "library/preferences/com.apple.softwareupdate"

Can I please have some help?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

A,B) It sounds to me like you have something selected in the trackpad preferences that relates to behavior while tapping. Try going in there and making sure everything selected (like tap to click/tap to drag) is what you actually want.

C) Download the 9.0.3 update from Apple's website and run that. Hopefully it'll update and repair the install. If it's still saying you need to update, i'd just try uninstalling iWork and do a fresh install.
    linx: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL833

3. Nick Jinks thread starter macrumors member

The update doesn't seem to work: "An eligible Keynote application was not found in applications/iWork." Do I need an older update?

As for SPref's, I haven't changed anything recently, but here's my Trackpad section anyway:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2003/screenshot20100817at172.png

Did it get changed by accident?

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

5. Nick Jinks thread starter macrumors member

It seems to be about right. Having said that, I've also had this software updates problem, so I wonder what's going on with me?

6. Nick Jinks thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone help with the update problem? It seems the trackpad problem is bigger than just me, but can someone help with the other issue?

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, it is bigger than just you. Have you noticed there are multiple threads on this situation right now? Please check before you start new threads. So far Apple hasn't put out any information on this matter but I'm sure they will put out a fix soon and it will probably be in 10.6.5.

8. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Everyone with this trackpad issue, tell Apple about it here

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

You have to make them aware of this software bug so they can investigate it and fix it. If you don't tell them, they won't know, and will not fix it.

9. Nick Jinks thread starter macrumors member

I'll remember this in future.

Does anyone have a suggestion regarding the software update problem? Or leave it to fix itself?