Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattkidd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hey,

Ive had my 13 Mac Book For just over a month now all has been great, you have got to love Apple ;)

Now until recently everything has worked fine and over the last few days the track pad has started to become incredibly annoying. At random points of a click or drag or something it seems to very much lockup in what its doing mean for example it gets to a point where if you move the cursor something would drag or something would be highlighted without you wanting to drag or highlight anything and it would become stuck doing that regardless of how many times you try clicking the trackpad. In order to get it out of this motion i have to use multigestures such as expose and that seems to fix the issue until it happens again.

Hopefully this is not hardware related, any support would be greatly appreciated.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I have the same issue. Like when i'm reading mcrumors, and move the cursor, the starts highlighting the stuff on the page. Then I click on he trackpad, the highlight goes away (like it should) then I move the cursor, and it highlights again. Its very annoying and does it in any App. Even on the desktop it does it.

But it goes away after 10 minutes of fighting with the trackpad.:p

mattkidd

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have the same issue. Like when i'm reading mcrumors, and move the cursor, the starts highlighting the stuff on the page. Then I click on he trackpad, the highlight goes away (like it should) then I move the cursor, and it highlights again. Its very annoying and does it in any App. Even on the desktop it does it.

But it goes away after 10 minutes of fighting with the trackpad.:p

Thats exactly my issue! Pleased im not the only one experiencing this ;) so anyidea if its software or hardware related :confused: How long have you had it for? and which model is it?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Thats exactly my issue! Pleased im not the only one experiencing this ;) so anyidea if its software or hardware related :confused: How long have you had it for? and which model is it?

I have a 13" MacBook Pro Mid 2010. 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 250GB HDD, and Nvidia GeForce 320M. I can't remember when this issue started, but I think it happened after I updated to the Magic Trackpad and Multi-touch software update released several weeks ago. I know this issue is very recent, so I think it was the update, and it does occur randomly.

mattkidd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Yeah that's the same specifications as mine hm thats good point! it does seem as though this has only started since the update for support hmmm cant anyone else comment on this? Hopefully if this is the case Apple will come out with a fix soon! I might even Call Apple Care tomorrow see what they have to say ;)

realbrick

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Trackpad on 13" aluminum macbook (1st gen) constantly getting stuck in down position

Having same problem. Apple is still in denial that this is due to their software update.

Note that I have the first two of the "One Finger" prefs for trackpad (Tap to Click and Dragging) checked - and thus am NOT using the 3 finger gesture for dragging.

Are you all using the same prefs as I am?

adriian

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Same thing is happening to me! I was worried I was the only one having these issues, seems not. Hopefully its not a hardware issue as I recently just got mine repaired. I usually have to bang the trackpad in enable to stop the problem whenever it occurs lol

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Having same problem. Apple is still in denial that this is due to their software update.

Note that I have the first two of the "One Finger" prefs for trackpad (Tap to Click and Dragging) checked - and thus am NOT using the 3 finger gesture for dragging.

Are you all using the same prefs as I am?

These are my preferences, and I experience the problem.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-11 at 4.17.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-08-11 at 4.17.52 PM.png
    265 KB · Views: 1,518

godaz

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2009
I had this issue with my 08 MBP 2.5 C2D,

To resolve I set the SMC and I havent had an issue since doing it (about 6 months)

To do this,

Fully shut down the laptop.
Remove the Battery.
Hold down the power button for 5 seconds with the battery removed.
Replace Battery
Reboot.

randomerratum

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I HAD this issue...

I was experiencing some very similar problems... I couldn't click things, sometimes I was stuck dragging windows. Mostly it happened when I pulled my MBP out of the bag and started using it.

Then it dawned on me;

My Magic Mouse was still in the bag, turned on and was being pressed.

Now I'm in the habit of turning the mouse off when not using it... haven't had the problem since.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
It does the same on my Early 2008 15", but to fix it temporarily I just right click. Thats it. That fixes for some time, until it strikes again.

Hope this helps until  gives us a solution.

BurningJah

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Belgium
Idem Ditto

I have the same problem as you all! and yes it started after I updated to the 10.6.4 => my magic trackpad didn't work with my 10.5 and I bought it on a whim never read the specifications :

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I was experiencing some very similar problems... I couldn't click things, sometimes I was stuck dragging windows. Mostly it happened when I pulled my MBP out of the bag and started using it.

Then it dawned on me;

My Magic Mouse was still in the bag, turned on and was being pressed.

Now I'm in the habit of turning the mouse off when not using it... haven't had the problem since.

My mom's computer and my new MBP have the latest update for the magic trackpad and have this update. I did get a Magic Mouse yesterday with my Mac, but even when its not connected, I have this trackpad issue. I had this issue on my mom's MBP before I got a Magic Mouse. Bluetooth was also off.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I had this issue as well on my 2010 13" Macbook Pro. Ended up reinstalling the OS to resolve it, and did not reinstall the magic trackpad update.

realbrick

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
I have the same issue - to the guy who called apple care..any results?

No results, though I got him to acknowledge that problem existed by having him Google "mac trackpad stuck selecting." I think the reason they are not overwhelmed with reports is that it occurs only when you choose a non-default setting for Dragging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.