Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mantle536

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
this is happening on my friends new MBP running snow leopard. i have no idea what is happening(ive never had this happen). as an example everytime he launches firefox the box opens asking to drag it to applications. any ideas how to fix this?

jasonwilldermoo

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
I had the same problem with Opera. I think I initially drug it to my dock from the install window. Delete the Firefox icon from the dock. Go to your applications in the finder and drag Firefox from there to the dock.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I expect because it's being run from the downloads folder?

If you want to keep an app for future use, it's best to put it in the Applications folder.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I expect because it's being run from the downloads folder?

If you want to keep an app for future use, it's best to put it in the Applications folder.
I've run programs from the download folder w/o ever seeing this issue.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
this is happening on my friends new MBP running snow leopard. i have no idea what is happening(ive never had this happen). as an example everytime he launches firefox the box opens asking to drag it to applications. any ideas how to fix this?
My guess is that you are running your apps from the mounted .dmg disk image.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
My guess is that you are running your apps from the mounted .dmg disk image.

From what I am seeing he's not even doing that it sounds like he has been launching the .dmg files thinking they are applications

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

You are not launching FireFox. You are opening a disk image containing FireFox. A disk image is something like a fake hard disk, and many applications come for download on such a fake hard disk. When you double click the disk image, the fake disk image is opened; in a Finder window it would appear under "Devices" below your hard drive. When you eject the disk image, FireFox is gone.

And yes, dragging the FireFox icon to applications (in the Dock, unless you removed it) will copy FireFox from the Disk Image into your applications folder. And once you started it and it is running, click on "Keep in Dock" in the Dock menu.

mantle536

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
thanks guys. it had been put on the dock from the disk image. i didn't know that could be done. appreciate the help.

bunnny

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
NY
i'm sorry i'm not crazy but...newbie

Hey guys, I'm sorry for the dummy-question, but I really need your help and clarification on this. I just got my very first iMac(3 days ago) and I feel like riding the halley's comet :) so happy with my choice.

The only thing is that really bothers me is that I'm not sure how the magic really works.

Example: I download the Skype app and then click Install. After that, I start the app and everything is like in Wonderland. My point is that once, I erase the install file (I don't know why every time, I download an app from the web I see .dmg file, and then the same mounted on the Mac HD aka desktop), after that everything is gone.

I see no more Skype in my next start and I have to download app again. How do I prevent such annoyance, please! I know it is my Mac knowledge, but hey I'm learning it now. Is my new iMac set to install all apps by mounting them on the Mac HD or it is simply my goofiness. Where's my mistake and what are the steps to Install and then freely enjoy the apps.
Thank you.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Where's my mistake and what are the steps to Install and then freely enjoy the apps.
When you download a .dmg file, open the .dmg and drag the .app file to your Applications folder... there's usually a shortcut to that folder in the .dmg file. After you've dragged the .app to the Applications folder, you can eject and delete the .dmg file. Now launch the app from your Applications folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.