Mac is slow, may be corrupt ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Runnerguy45, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Runnerguy45 macrumors newbie

Hello, my 2006 Mac OS X is giving me fits. The color wheel is on and it takes forever to get a webpage to come up. It all started when I went to a site to watch a basketball site to watch a game online. I think the app i tried to load to watch game may have corrupted my Mac. Should I go to a company that debugs my Mac ? If so any company you recomend ?
    My ipads seem to be working ok , just my mac is slow. Any advice ?
    Thanks.

2. gnasher729, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Yes, if you download an app from a random site, you have no idea what you are getting. That might have caused problems. On the other hand, if this is not some particularly dodgy site, then this might have just random.

If your 2006 Mac still has its original hard drive, then it could be just the hard drive wearing out. You should always have an up-to-date backup of your hard drive. If you don't, go to the nearest shop that sells external drives, get the cheapest external USB drive you can find, and backup your computer using Time Machine.

You don't say what kind of Mac. On a 2006 MacBook, it is very very easy to replace the hard drive, if that is what causes the problem. Every hard drive will die eventually, and six years is probably a bit above average already. The good news is that an internal hard drive is cheap, and most likely twice as fast or better than your old one.

You (and everyone else asking for help) should try to give more information. What app did you download, and from what website (so we can judge how dodgy this is, or if the timing is just coincidence). What Mac do you have (so we can tell you how hard or easy it is to fix a problem).

3. Runnerguy45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gnasher, thanks, I have a Mac OS X version 10.6.8 Imac5,1

The site I went on was front row sports and downloaded their app to watch live sports. This is my first time posting and I am not much of a techie so Help is greatly appreciated.

I just got in from doing errands and before I left I was on washington post website trying to read paper and when I clicked on an article the colored spinning wheel came on and the article never came up, gone for over an hour and it made zero progress, still spinning.

4. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

DiskWarrior or Drive Genius3 Might Help

I'd also recommend CleanMyMac2 after you verify your HD's directory is okay. Also fragmentation of the files on your hard drive might be an issue (yes I know there of those that don't believe in fixing HD fragmentation).

Another poster suggested a hardware problem with your HD. Drive Genius can check that out, and I think DiskWarrior can too.

I has some beach balling cursors going until I ran DW and DG3 on my boot drive and external HD drives. This was a new drive Apple put in my iMac on a recall.

If your HD is almost full that could be another reason you are having problems.

If you need to switch to a new HD Carbon Copy Clone can back up your original or of course Time Machine.

No I don't work for any software company.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

6. Drharrington macrumors member

7. Runnerguy45, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

Runnerguy45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could the problem be the app I loaded is incompatible with my older Mac and is taking up to much space ?
    Can anyone give me step by step instruction on how to remove ?
    I basically have no desktop since this has happened.
    If I call Apple can they fix it for a fee ?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Restart your Mac in Safe Mode, then follow these instructions: