Mac Java Virus?(Exploit.Java.ByteVerify-1)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shadowspirit6, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

This was the first time i scanned my computer for viruses in a long time (maybe about 1 and a half year ago was the last time). I don't know why i havent scanned earlier

When i scanned(and deleted), i had 2 infected files, Im using ClamXav as my antivirus

/Users/"my name"/Library/Caches/Java/cache/javapi/v1.0/file/animan.class-4bb611a9-5fa0d313.class: Exploit.Java.ByteVerify-1 FOUND

/Users/"my name"/Library/Caches/Java/cache/javapi/v1.0/file/animan.class-79dc8d6d-364a35d0.class: Exploit.Java.ByteVerify-1 FOUND

I wasnt sure what this was so i did a quick google search, and this came up
    http://www.spynomore.com/exploit-java-byteverify-1.htm

I also wasnt sure how long i had these infected files on my computer, could have been weeks or months even.
    Has anyone else know more information about this?
    As you can tell im worried, since my parents log onto their accounts(banking accounts and such)

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

More precisely: It can exploit the Microsoft Java Virtual machine, which does only run on Windows. It wouldn't be able to exploit the SUN Java Virtual machine on Windows, or the Sun-based Java Virtual Machine on MacOS X. This has nothing to do with Windows vs. MacOS X.

4. Shadowspirit6 thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking of putting bootcamp(today actually), and lets say the infected file was on Leopard/OS X side...since its more of a windows virus, would it eventually reach onto the Windows side and execute at whatever it shall do? Also if i get a virus on Windows, would that affect the Leopard/OS X portion?

5. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Screw it. If windows users aren't running AV at this point they deserve to get one. Delete it from your mac if you want, but you aren't gonna be effected by it in any way.

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

7. Salmar macrumors regular

I remember getting those "Exploit.Java.ByteVerify" on my windows computers but I also read that they were nothing serious to really worry about even at that time.