Mac just works?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by icecone, Nov 19, 2007.

1. icecone macrumors regular

Is it still true?
    With plenty of bugs, freezing, blue screen of deaths, does it worth such high price buying a Mac?:confused:

2. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I've laughed at mac users for over a decade. The switch to intel and unix based OS made me try it. Within 2 months I replaced all my pc's with macs.

They just work.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Absolutely. Nothing will ever be perfect so long as a human is involved, and by reading about problems here, you are only seeing a small percentage of the total mac userbase.

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Generally Mac usage is problem free. There are times when they muck things up a bit but generally using a Mac is a joyful experience.

Remember that for every 100 people blasting something because it has bugs, you'll only ever get 1 person praising the good parts! Especially on a forum!

On the flip side generally using Windows is problem free too. Sometimes there are problems too.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Yep. Still true.

I used Macs for years, switched to building PC's for gaming and to use at work. I recently switched back to Macs and that was an illuminating experience. It just works. It doesn't crash, no ongoing freezes, no problems at all. I installed Leopard by just popping the disk in the drive and installing via defaults (no archive-install). I've had no problems. I then installed Windows XP via Boot Camp, and that went smoothly too. Now I can see directly in A-B comparison how much better OSX is than Windows. And it is. Still. A lot.

6. psonice macrumors 6502a

These forums are full of people discussing bugs, freezing etc. Well, you have to expect that, people aren't going to hang around these boards saying "yeah, still no problems here." "I've been using this app, and there are no bugs in it" etc.

My own experience (having used computers for 25 years odd, and working at the sharp end of IT) is that I bought a mac as a bit of a test 3 years back. I've had issues with it, yes. Mostly pretty minor ones, and nothing really bad. In comparison to the years I've had PCs though, the problems have been seriously trivial. I reckon the amount of time 'messing about' with the computer (updating it, fixing it, reinstalling it when it gets slow etc) has been cut by perhaps 80%. I've since moved totally over to mac, and moved all of my family to mac too, with no complaints.

I bought one of the new 24" imacs in august, one of the ones you'd believe constantly freeze and have major screen issues after reading these forums - it's been rock solid, crashing only once in over 3 months of very heavy usage, and the screen is great.

So.. it doesn't ALWAYS just work, but most of the time it does, and (unless you're unlucky and get a bad one) you should have less problems than with a pc. The other thing I'd say is that macs constantly surprise you in a good way, as you find all kinds of nifty little features and ways of doing things that make life easier!

7. icecone thread starter macrumors regular

Of course windows sucks. I'm using Linux, it just works as well

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have an entire department full of Macs ranging from Power Mac G4s to Intel Mac minis.

I'm slowly rolling out Leopard with maybe 5-10 minutes of troubleshooting per machine.

9. illicium macrumors regular

Isn't linux pretty high maintainance? Everything I know about it says you have to at least consider yourself a power user to justify running linux. How right or wrong is this statement?

EDIT: What I mean is, isn't using a working linux more high maintainance than using say a working xp? Like could a 45 year old who isn't all that computer literate just swith from xp or mac to linux and never miss a beat?

10. icecone thread starter macrumors regular

Perhaps recent linux releases such as gutsy gibbon are better and easier than you might think

11. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'll never understand why people say windows sucks. Just because you had a bad experience with it does not mean it sucks. It just means you had a bad experience.

12. Hmac macrumors 68020

When the volume of people who "have a bad experience" with an OS gets to a certain level, and Windows has been there for years, that pretty much means it sucks.

13. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Absolutely. Ive been using windows XP since I can remember and have had no bad experiences, yes there have been times when its gone slow or clunky but then doesn't every computer do that?
    I think Apple have done quite a good job of demonizing Windows in recent years, and hey, why shouldn't they? They're competition after all. I do however object to the 'Windoze is sh*te etc etc' line sang by many around here, yes there are bad cases, but then again there are bad cases with OS X.
    Different strokes for different folks

OK, lecture over ;)

14. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

15. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Windows does not suck because of one bad experience.

Windows sucks because of a horrible bloated, outdated design framework. The bad experiences are just a symptom of that problem. All you have to do to understand why windows sucks is read the recommendation by MicroSoft that you do a fresh reinstall of their operating system (and all applications) every 6 months in order to keep it running smoothly.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Not quite, but once you've put the effort into configuring it that's pretty much true going forward.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple changed a bunch of stuff underneath the GUI.

That always causes major problems.

Likely we are seeing a bunch more problems in more areas, because the changes touched everything this time.

Some of the other OS updates keep most of the trauma confined to small areas, where the more radical changes happened.

Though losing some printers, scanners, SCSI cards, etc. always seems to happen anyways.

---

But there are work a rounds for most problems upgrading on the Apple Support site.

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You are confused. There has never been a "blue screen of death" on any Macintosh running MacOS X. The Macintosh displays a blue screen while it is booting. Probably because it is a nice colour, and to make Windows users feel at home :D

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Isn't that color called psych ward blue, in order to keep the patients calm.

20. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

Yes, the OS seems to work fine, but the hardware is another issue...;)

Apple care is your friend. I recommend everyone to get it.

21. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Stop listening to others who have no idea what they are talking about and use it yourself. Most of the popular Linux distros (Ubuntu, openSUSE, Fedora, etc.) are as easy to use as Mac OS X. (Actually, they may be easier with their automated software installation package managers.) It's the old world Linux distros, like Slackware and Gentoo, that require much more technical knowledge, but what you get out of that is a completely custom built kernel that only includes exactly what you need.

22. Queso macrumors G4

As do I. My two year old 17" iMac G5 suddenly developed some dead pixels and Apple said it would take them four weeks to get the replacement part.

So they gave me an 20" Alu iMac as a replacement :)

23. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

How about this for "just works": Last week, I typed up a paper in my debate class on my MacBook, and I had to print it. I just plugged the teacher's printer in, cilcked print on my MacBook, and it printed, simple as that. No prior installations or anything. :)

24. Queso macrumors G4

So your teacher has an HP then. Virtually all the HP printers do that these days, but for some reason Microsoft don't use it in their OS. Apple do.

25. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do what, exactly?