Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShineLikeSilver

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2021
Created an account for this reason. Having the same issue here. 10.9.5 on Mid 2012 Mac Book Pro. Everything was working fine and suddenly unable to connect to the server. Tried logging out of icloud via settings and back in and of course that removed all existing downloaded e-mails from the mail app. Since everyone experienced this at same time likely apple's fault. Wish they could notify people prior to doing these changes.

"The server returned the error: The connection to the server “p36-imap.mail.me.com” on port 993 timed out."

Reactions: sparkie7

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Regarding your issue with password credentials. I ran into a similar problem with Spectrum email. The standard Safari-generated password with dashes works fine with webmail, but does not work accessing the account from Apple Mail and I believe iOS devices. Once I generated a password without dashes it worked fine on all platforms and apps.
Thanks! I'll give that a try.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Same problem here. Spent hours trying to figure it out. Have early mac pro 2008 El Capitan . Runs great now this message:The server returned the error: Connections to the server “p49-imap.mail.me.com” on the default ports timed out. Hopefully they don't abandon us. So many creatives having to go to PC's with the cost of new Mac's being so high.

I waisted time also trying to trouble shoot this mess. I tried several things as mentioned. Even booted off my back up system which I know is 100% working and that came with the same Mail server issue. I thought a Mail library file had been corrupted and was going to copy my back up over to my machine but haven't bothered as it seems like it's an issue at Apple's end. Very frustrating and a total time waster that could have been avoided if Apple had alerted users of this in advance

Yes, the MP2008 is a great machine. I just really hope that its a server issue that will be fixed in a few days. iCloud mail is still working and also on newer machines. But I really store all my old emails on this Mac Pro going back 14 years to 2004. What's great is that I can select and drag a whole years worth off emails to be stored onto the drive to free up space on the iCloud limit of 5GB. I don't think I can do this on the iCloud mail and drag it to my drive?

Last edited:

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Chalk me up with the same problem. It started a day ago for me. I'm running 10.11.6 El Capitan on a 2009 MBP and the Mail Connection Doctor in the Mail app reports that it can't connect to iCloud's IMAP server (time-out error). Other newer devices polling the same iCloud account are fine.

If this is a server upgrade bug, then fine. Problems happen.
If this is a planned obsolescence directive targeting older systems that otherwise remain compliant with email standards, then I have choice words for Apple...

Really hoping it's not the latter

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Me too on both of our El Capitan Mac's that still work perfectly. I hate Apple they abuse their customers. They don't have to support El Capitan or any older OS's but to not allow a user to put his email into their mail app, crazy. Problem is my wife is addicted to IOS devices. I will probably never buy another apple product. Goggle and Android fit my needs. Too bad, I spent hours yesterday trying to fix this. Apple Support, Apple Care was useless, wasted my time. Who would pay for level of support. Anyway, really irritates me.

Yes agreed. Annoying and frustrating :mad:

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Created an account for this reason. Having the same issue here. 10.9.5 on Mid 2012 Mac Book Pro. Everything was working fine and suddenly unable to connect to the server. Tried logging out of icloud via settings and back in and of course that removed all existing downloaded e-mails from the mail app. Since everyone experienced this at same time likely apple's fault. Wish they could notify people prior to doing these changes.

"The server returned the error: The connection to the server “p36-imap.mail.me.com” on port 993 timed out."

I did the same and lost all existing emails :confused:

pronicd1

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
Bournemouth, UK
Same problem here. Started the day before yesterday. I spent about an hour on the phone with Apple about it and advisor was not aware of the issue. In the end I was just told that she couldn't [waste] spend anymore time with me as it was now an unsupported OSX version. So neither myself or my partner can receive apple mail on the Mail app on our two old macs. Not pleased to say the least. I use my macpro early 2008 all the time and especially for email. Phone Apple support and bug them for a fix people!

PacoJones

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2021
Same here, MacBookPro5,3 (2009) OSX 10.11.6, since a couple of days ago the mail application does not work, I get the following error:

The server has returned an error:Connection time exceeded to server "p51-imap.mail.me.com" through the default ports.

I hope it's a temporary bug and Apple will fix it.

Lexington88

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2021
Before I found this thread I unfortunately logged out and back in to iCloud. Now all my emails that were in Mac Mail are gone that hadn’t made it back to the server yet, mainly a draft I had worked on all day. Is there anywhere I could locate it where it might have been locally stored?

I’m late 2008 model. I have a 2015 too, but never fully abandoned my 2008.

Monstergerm

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2021
I did the same and lost all existing emails :confused:
I also lost my cached local iCloud emails after logging out and in of my iCloud account. If you have a backup you can import those mbox files into the Mail app. So at least you have an "archive" of your old iCloud emails and can view them all in the same Mail app on the old computer.
I am also forwarding all new iCloud emails to my other mail account so I can see them in the Mail app on my computer; and since sending to iCloud email server still works you can reply from your computer to those emails with the correct iCloud return address.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Just in last 5 minutes, seems that all my Mac Mail emails are streaming and updating. Trying not to get too excited

char.lee.lam

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2021
it seems to work now again(just one timeout since the last sync). It synced again. man if i would have waited a day before deleted stuff.
hope it works for you all.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
it seems to work now again(just on timeout since the last sync). It synced again. man if i would have waited a day before deleted stuff.
hope it works for you all.

Yes but should all download again. Unless you trashed and deleted

tonye63

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2021
Same problem here in Bergen, Norway. Mac Pro early 2009, El Capitan 10.11.6, Apple Mail 9.3 from 2016. Called Apple Support and suddenly - 20 min. later it is working again :cool:

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Same problem here in Bergen, Norway. Mac Pro early 2009, El Capitan 10.11.6, Apple Mail 9.3 from 2016. Called Apple Support and suddenly - 20 min. later it is working again :cool:

Have had this issue for last 1-2 days

JohnDille

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2021
It's Wednesday, September 01, 2021 10:11 AM Arizona time and I just received an email from my iCloud account on my El Capitan Mac. I checked my wife's computer and the triangle exclamation symbol that indicates an account error are now gone on both of our computers. Grab your files while you can :)

joepavone

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2021
Had the exact same problem with my MBP 2012 and OS 10.11.6. Also had the same problem on my MacMini 2012 10.11.6. Contacted apple support and they advised me to upgrade my OS.
They provided a useful link as all versions of mac OS are available though support. Here is the link they gave me:
Updated my MacMini to os 10.13.6 (High Sierra) and it took a while but was not too painful. It solved the Email issue.

I do plan on updating my MBP 2012 next BUT oddly enough iCloud EMAIL is now working on it OK even though it is still on 10.11.6. Not sure f the other upgrade changed something in my account or if Apple just fixed the bug but FYI all the same.

Hope this info helps.

Calion

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
Seems to have been fixed in the night. Possibly because I reported it, but probably not; we had not yet finished all of the inane, pointless troubleshooting steps (which included removing my iCloud account entirely from my computer…) so that the rep would realize that the problem was on their end, not mine, and report it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.