Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoricardo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Hi I have a 21.5", mid-2011 iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 (the last update possible).

I use it for my work email (Exchange/Office 365) and iCloud. Both have been fine for years.

However today my Mail app asked me to confirm my password and it keeps saying Unable to verify account name or password. I have tried inputting it manually and also copying it and pasting it, but to not avail.

I have tried:

* Removing the account and re-adding it (even in safe mode)
* Restarting the computer
* Changing the password
* Checking if Multi factor authentication is on. It wasn't, I tried turning it on, then off and both ways made no difference.
* I've created an app password from within Office 365 and it won't accept that password either
* I've tried setting it up as an other mail account, rather than Exchange
* Checking if my mail account works on my iPhone, iPad and 2017 MacBook Pro (it works on all of them).

Wondering if anyone has any genius ideas?

Thanks!

I've got to say that I've tried using Spark Mail since this issue and so far found it to be a better email client than the native Mac Mail. And most importantly, the issue doesn't appear there.

Last edited:

MacMediaNet

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2014
I have exactly the same problem with my email (Exchange). On High Sierra 10.13.6 the Mail application suddenly (after years) stopped to work correctly and keeps asking for the password, on macOS 12.6 it works. I was not able to figure out where the problem might be.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I saw some news earlier saying that Microsoft has changed something. I'm not sure what the "something" is, but I heard that removing and re-adding the account may fix it in some cases (although this apparently hasn't worked for the OP).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

What I would try (no promises):
(this assumes you are using Apple Mail.app as your email client)

Quit Mail.

Go to the "network" preference pane and delete the account that's giving you problems.

Now, open Keychain Access (in the utilities folder).
Click "login" "up above", then click on the "passwords" for your category.

Now, work your way through the list, and DELETE all passwords that would be associated with your email account (the one that's giving you problems).

When done, quit Keychain Access.

Go back to the Network preference pane, and choose to create a new email account to replace the one you deleted earlier.

The point of removing old passwords in Keychain Access was to get rid of "past items" that could be messing things up.

Again, you might have already tried this -- no promises.

gharbud534

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2022
Hi I have a 21.5", mid-2011 iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 (the last update possible).

I use it for my work email (Exchange/Office 365) and iCloud. Both have been fine for years.

However today my Mail app asked me to confirm my password and it keeps saying Unable to verify account name or password. I have tried inputting it manually and also copying it and pasting it, but to not avail.

I have tried:

* Removing the account and re-adding it (even in safe mode)
* Restarting the computer
* Changing the password
* Checking if Multi factor authentication is on. It wasn't, I tried turning it on, then off and both ways made no difference.
* I've created an app password from within Office 365 and it won't accept that password either
* I've tried setting it up as an other mail account, rather than Exchange
* Checking if my mail account works on my iPhone, iPad and 2017 MacBook Pro (it works on all of them).

Wondering if anyone has any genius ideas?

Thanks!

I've got to say that I've tried using Spark Mail since this issue and so far found it to be a better email client than the native Mac Mail. And most importantly, the issue doesn't appear there.
Hi, did you manage to solve this issue? I'm having the same problem.

Badoldbadger

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2022
I have the same problem but strangely can log into my exchange mail account from my iPhone without problem. My MacBook Pro developed the 'unable to verify account name or password" problem yesterday morning. Password is right. I would love to know what Microsoft have done!

gharbud534

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2022
I have the same problem but strangely can log into my exchange mail account from my iPhone without problem. My MacBook Pro developed the 'unable to verify account name or password" problem yesterday morning. Password is right. I would love to know what Microsoft have done!
Yes mine started yesterday, all works fine on Phone, iPad, & Windows Outlook etc.

gharbud534

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2022
Yes mine started yesterday, all works fine on Phone, iPad, & Windows Outlook etc.
Have you tried deleting the mail account on apple mail and trying it again?

Badoldbadger

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2022
Have you tried deleting the mail account on apple mail and trying it again?
No - not sure if I lose all my emails if I do so? I did try adding the account again and it said the account already existed and gave the same message when entering the password.

gharbud534

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2022
So the issue I have found is that Microsoft have updated their authentication. Because I use a 2011 Air, mac mail uses the basic authentication method. But now exchange uses somthing else. So effectively I cannot run any exchange accounts atall now on High Serria. Needs to be Mojave and above for apple mail. & mine doesn't accept mojave. I have tried a couple of third party clients . Thunderbird, spark etc they all work fine but I don't like them plus I use mail butler so need to work with apple mail. I have just ordered a 2017 Air. My 2009 imac also stopped working at same time so that's finished now aswel.

Reactions: johnandmaidiej

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have the same problem on all my devices. It started about a month ago. Deleting / re-adding the affected account didn’t help. Setting up as new on the devices didn’t work, either.

The account works for a few mins and then gives me the error. The cycle happens several times a day every day.

Badoldbadger

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2022
So the issue I have found is that Microsoft have updated their authentication. Because I use a 2011 Air, mac mail uses the basic authentication method. But now exchange uses somthing else. So effectively I cannot run any exchange accounts atall now on High Serria. Needs to be Mojave and above for apple mail. & mine doesn't accept mojave. I have tried a couple of third party clients . Thunderbird, spark etc they all work fine but I don't like them plus I use mail butler so need to work with apple mail. I have just ordered a 2017 Air. My 2009 imac also stopped working at same time so that's finished now aswel.
Hi Gharbud 534
My MacBook Pro is a 2017 model running 10.15.7 Catalina which followed from Mojave and I have the problem.

johnandmaidiej

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2022
and same issue for me. I use Mail to save and file all my emails so I cant afford to start with a new mail app. Im so frustrated

johnandmaidiej

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2022
I found this article and am not very technical but it seems to explain what others above have said.
Basically Microsoft will remove basic authentication for many email connection protocols in October 2022, and move to 2 factor authentication for exchange accounts so if you have an OS less than 10.14 then Mac mail cant handle 2 facto authentication so cant sign into microsoft exchange accounts :( .
As I said I am not very technical so hopefully those smarter than me can understand and see if there is a solution or whether i need to get a new mac (currently my OS is 10.13.6 and wont upgade any further).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.