Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
The mini is not a primary desktop. It is a terminal to access a larger desktop or an adium machine. People do not choose between a mini and an imac or mac pro. People buy the mini in addition to the other computers. Some people even have minis to run their home entertainment.

Um....wrong!

I use a Mac Mini CD as my main dekstop. I mean I could use my old iMac G5, but the Mini is faster, so why would I?

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
ATV + Mini + Blu Ray...

My predictions:
*Mini merged with ATV, with Blu Ray drive - entertainment hub:cool:
*MacBook entry level model sees price drop, (becomes new base standard):D
*Both before the new year...:p

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
My predictions:
*Mini merged with ATV, with Blu Ray drive - entertainment hub:cool:
Not a chance. AppleTV is a low-price set-top box. Mac mini is a computer which costs much more than most people want to spend for that purpose. Blu-ray isn't even in Apple's top of the line computers yet. Or perhaps you were only joking. :)

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Not a chance. AppleTV is a low-price set-top box. Mac mini is a computer which costs much more than most people want to spend for that purpose. Blu-ray isn't even in Apple's top of the line computers yet. Or perhaps you were only joking. :)

Joking, no. Optimistic, perhaps...;)

Can you not see people using their flat screen/HD TVs as monster displays..? I think people would pay handsomely for an all in one device. Neither ATV or Mini has high sales at present, but their powers combined;)

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
Can you not see people using their flat screen/HD TVs as monster displays..?
Of course I can. I have a mini connected to my own HDTV. But many of my friends think I'm a nut for doing so. When most people want to play Blu-ray discs on their TVs, they buy a BR disc player, not a computer.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Of course I can. I have a mini connected to my own HDTV. But many of my friends think I'm a nut for doing so. When most people want to play Blu-ray discs on their TVs, they buy a BR disc player, not a computer.

Yep, as an early adopter you'll get looks for sure. Now though, with so much more media coming via the net, does it not make sense to hook up a computer to a TV/home theatre?

How long before all the shows/films/music/games you watch/play will be exclusively streamed or downloaded from the world wide web?

Giddy up!
:cool:

lparkiv

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Forgive my ignorance...please explain

I took a peek at the Apple Store (via my company's discount website) and the specs for the Mini appear to be the same as when I last checked. Could you elaborate on what you are seeing and you know there will be a release in late October?

Thanks!

lparkiv

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
I UNDERSTAND that you said October...

HOWEVER, you stated, seemingly with a tone of certainty, that you anticipated a performance bump to the mini in October. I'm trying to determine whether that prediction is based on facts or if it was wishful thinking. If it is based on fact, I was asking where you obtained your information.

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
HOWEVER, you stated, seemingly with a tone of certainty, that you anticipated a performance bump to the mini in October. ...

Well, that's the way God planned it, that's the way God wants it to be. ... Have you ever seen a new release or update of an Apple computer that did not include some performance increases? I mean, the Apple II was faster because it had disk drives but the same processor ... since the Apple III & Lisa, ALL Apple computers have increased in performance with each model update, whether processor or peripherals or both ... and Steve Jobs knows Gordon Moore, ipso facto ... :apple:

" ... Is the mini dead? I've been waiting since March for an update. ..."

That of course is the other option ... :apple:

lparkiv

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
O.K. Let's try this again...

Fine. Obviously, IF Apple released ANY new computer, it will indeed have improvements. I should have been more precise in my question. What I want to know is from WHAT SOURCE, exactly, did you read/hear/divine the fact that a new Mac Mini WILL be released in October, 2008????

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
Ah... i have to confess, i cracked, bought a refurb, very happy with it so far the only issue so far is that they gave me macbook install discs instead of mini ones, so i'm a litle buggered if i have to re-install the OS.

could i get them replaced at an apple store?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Fine. Obviously, IF Apple released ANY new computer, it will indeed have improvements. I should have been more precise in my question. What I want to know is from WHAT SOURCE, exactly, did you read/hear/divine the fact that a new Mac Mini WILL be released in October, 2008????

Who said that they heard anything? I'm not going back through all of these posts, so could you find it please? I didn't think that anyone had said anything yet.

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
" ... What I want to know is from WHAT SOURCE, exactly, did you read/hear/divine the fact that a new Mac Mini WILL be released in October ..."

That would be totally out of tune with the very flavor of this web blog: MacRumors:Forums :p

If you don't believe me, then don't ... It may be a rumor, it may not. ... Apple's reply would probably be something like: " ... we can neither confirm nor deny ...."

(I don't work for Apple, never have, directly anyway. I am the first non-Apple employee to go through the Mac service training school = January, 1984, pre-Super Bowl announcement, so I'm a follower of Apple policy and technology and read a lot and own several Macs. That's it, take it or leave it. ... But I'm not the only Apple fan here and I'm sure there are a few Apple employees watching, maybe even participating ... )

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Joking, no. Optimistic, perhaps...;)

Can you not see people using their flat screen/HD TVs as monster displays..? I think people would pay handsomely for an all in one device. Neither ATV or Mini has high sales at present, but their powers combined;)

I'd definately say it's optimistic, considering Apple still puts regular old DVD combo drives in the baseline mini... two years after those disappeared from baseline Windows PCs.

Me personally, I'd love to see it, as I use my Mini in my home theater, and I do stuff with BluRay all the time. But I'm not holding my breath. When I see BluRay drives in the Pro models, I'll get excited.

darkblu

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
frankly, i think apple may be shooting themselves in the foot with their reluctancy for mini updates. why? because the mini has become a popular development station with iph/ipt developers. i know companies which have equipped whole iph dev teams with mini's. i know indiviual developers who are doing, or are looking to get their iph/ipt development going on minis, just because their interest in the iphone does not automatically expand to apple's more costly desktops. so what do apple do to accomodate the 'non-traditional' interest in their platform? nothing - they keep their entry platform in a stasis field for almost a year - neither upgrades, nor price drops (yeah, i know apple don't generally practice that). and what are the options for people with 'specialized needs' for an entry mac?

(a) wait for the 'next surprise unveiling', which is always around the corner now (tm)
(b) bite the bullet and go bigger, even though that's not what they need.
(c) go hackintosh

fwiw, i fall in the (a) category. i've got an exceptional value-for-money out of my g4 mini, but it's started to show some aging, and most importantly, it's been left out of the iph sdk circle, and i've been itching to get into serious ipt development. so apple, do me and people like me a favor and either announce the absence of plans for further development of the mini, or get the mini on track with the rest of the macs, dammit!

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
The mini is not a primary desktop. It is a terminal to access a larger desktop or an adium machine. People do not choose between a mini and an imac or mac pro. People buy the mini in addition to the other computers. Some people even have minis to run their home entertainment.

The Mac mini is the primary desktop of a lot of people. Some of us just can't afford a "better" Mac, some of us don't want a laptop, some of us don't want an all-in-one (I'll choose my own display thank you very much) and some of us wouldn't know what to do with the powerhouse that is a Mac Pro.

The target for the Mac mini, as Apple have said themselves at its introduction, is for switchers. People who want to switch to Mac but can't afford the other Mac models.

Just because you keep reading about people using a Mac mini as a 2nd or 3rd Mac or as a HTPC on forums doesn't mean that it's the majority of users. The majority of users don't write in forums. ;)

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Just because you keep reading about people using a Mac mini as a 2nd or 3rd Mac or as a HTPC on forums doesn't mean that it's the majority of users. The majority of users don't write in forums. ;)

My first Mini was bought as my primary as well; bought after my sawtooth died (6 good years, RIP). When I discovered how powerful they were, I bought a second one as a dedicated HTPC. I waited for Apple to come out with its successor, but they never did, so I built a hackintosh. Apple's losing money by not updating this work of art, IYAM.

Figure 11

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Kent, England
My first Mini was bought as my primary as well; bought after my sawtooth died (6 good years, RIP). When I discovered how powerful they were, I bought a second one as a dedicated HTPC. I waited for Apple to come out with its successor, but they never did, so I built a hackintosh. Apple's losing money by not updating this work of art, IYAM.

My sawtooth is still going strong (>8 years) but is underpowered for what I now want. I was waiting for an update to the mini this year as an interim machine until the Nahelem Pro is released then re-purpose the mini as a HTPC but it looks like we'll see the Nahelem before then :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.