Mac Mini 2010 HTPC Issues Recording EyeTV

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by irishv, Oct 30, 2010.

1. irishv macrumors regular

I have the base 2010 Mini serving as my HTPC using an HDHomeRun. Watching TV works great, but recording HD stutters. I'm using the latest version of EyeTV and ETV-Comskip. Will upgrading the ram help or would this issue likely be the result of processor speed? Macsales.com has a pretty good deal on 8GB of ram, and I'll probably pull the trigger, but I'd like to know if that will really help performance. I know I could lower the quality of recordings but would rather avoid that.

2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Take a look at activity monitor and check your page INS/outs. If outs are 10% or more of INS, then most likely it's the ram. How much do you have now? I maxed mine out right after I got mine. Definitely helps. Stinks apple didn't put at least a 3ghz processor in it since no i3/5 processor. A 4 core mini would be awesome.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

4. irishv thread starter macrumors regular

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

6. irishv thread starter macrumors regular

I pulled the trigger and just installed the new ram. I haven't done any tests to see if performance on recording has improved, but everything does seem to be moving faster (opening/closing applications).

7. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

please keep us posted, im considering upgrading to 8gb from the 4 that is installed. I have not experienced any skipping, but im sure it will speed things along nicely.