Mac mini 2011 Server to replace 2008 Mac pro

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
So I'm on a downsizing kick trying to de-clutter my personal belongings and gadgets. I have a Mac Pro that's taking up too much space and so I took a bite on a $876 Like New Mac mini Server 2011 on Amazon (jerk reaction to the low price).

Will i get comparable speeds to the Mac Pro (2.8 Quad Core 14gig ram) with the new Mac Mini Server?

I do video transcoding, Web Development/Illustrator/Photoshop for school (hopefully work in a few years) and run Boxee(connected to mac) to my TV.
I guess it's also my HTPC in a way.

The added benefit would be the HTPC outputs (HDMI) Wifi (wich i don't have on the Mac Pro). I just want to sale my Tivo (I don't watch Live TV), Boxee and Mac Pro.

Basically I want an all in one machine that does a bit of everything.

Any thoughts?

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
With the Mac mini you won't be getting the GPU power I assume you got with you Mac Pro, but CPU performance should be similar. Geekbench has the 2011 sever Mac mini around the same zone of 2009 Quad-core Mac Pros.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Hope it help.:)

P.S. You should upgrade the RAM on the Mac mini.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Cool thanks for the link!

I dont do any gaming so not worried about that. I hope the processing speed can help a little with photoshop and Illustrator.

I'll definitely upgrade the ram.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2012
Maybe a slight tradeoff in speed, not much at all, but the reduced space and power consumption may be worth it.