Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VegetarianNachos

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2022
Parts Unknown
I solved the issue in a very strange way, by installing a clean Monterey via USB with Open Core Legacy, then just upgrading directly from Monterey, no USB, to Ventura, via Software Update, and is working, very strange.
Does your Ventura install work 100% correctly by upgrading Monterey using Software Update? Just wondering if this is a viable path for my 2012 Mac mini. Thanks

Reactions: ExclusiveMac

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
Does your Ventura install work 100% correctly by upgrading Monterey using Software Update? Just wondering if this is a viable path for my 2012 Mac mini. Thanks
Yeah. It works, no issues for the moment. But try a clean install first to see if you have the same issue.

pdxplm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Portland, OR
Couple of suggestions that worked when I was installing on my 2012 Mini. 1. Make sure you build your Open Core to the right hardware. It uses specific ktexts for each machine. 2. When you have your usb ready, make sure to completely wipe your 2012 drive for a clean install from your usb. I didn't run into any issues installing Ventura, yes, it was slow, but no issues with hardware.

Reactions: ExclusiveMac

VegetarianNachos

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2022
Parts Unknown
Yeah. It works, no issues for the moment. But try a clean install first to see if you have the same issue.
Hi, I just wanted to provide an update on my 2012 quad-core i7 Mac mini. I used OCLP to upgrade from Catalina to Monterey, then went through the whole process again to upgrade from Monterey to Ventura. I am very happy with Ventura on this Mac. Cannot find anything that does not work as intended. I bought the Mac mini last week for $75 with 8GB ram and 1TB HDD. I upgraded to two new SSDs (250GB boot drive, and 500GB data drive, and bought the additional SATA cable). All in cost for this computer including shipping was $141.16. The computer itself had never been opened and is in near perfect cosmetic condition and has the original Apple ram. I am thrilled at the performance with this price point. I will be setting it up as a file server on my home network.

active8

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
Anyone notice that their Mini runs hot with OCLP installed? My fans area always up and spinning loudly

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
Anyone notice that their Mini runs hot with OCLP installed? My fans area always up and spinning loudly
It runs no different than how it ran for me on native Catalina. If anything, it runs better. I'm on Big Sur 11.7.7 with OCLP 0.4.11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.