Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tijs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2012
I'm thinking of getting this option on my BTO I7 mini. From what I read the 10 Gbe NIC's generate quite some heat. Will this impact the fans, ramping up more because more heat will build up in the case? Also is this heat only generated by large file transfers over prolonged time or also in Idle and if so can it be reduced by deactivating the NIC via system preferences?

The idea is to expand storage later on via a 10Gbe NAS. So I don't need the NIC to be on all the time, just for project transfers. If deactivating it in system preferences will cut the voltage supply to the chip it'll solve potential excess heat when not needed.

I know there are tb3--> 10Gbe adapters to get the heat out of the case but I really like it integrated in the mini.

If there are people here on the board with this option I really would like to hear their experience with it. Any input much appreciated.

jdgtr7

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2016
Tijs - Did you ever purchase the i7 Mac mini? I am thinking of doing the same thing, but have similar concerns about heat issues. If you have any personal information on your experience, it would really help. Thanks!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I would also be interested to hear about this. Have been watching the refurb store for the configuration I want - which would be the maxxed-out i7 version but *without* 10gb ethernet. Awhile ago they had a maxxed-out refurb that did have the 10gb ethernet. Would prefer not to pay for something I don't need, especially if there is some downside in terms of heat.

BTW, am I correct to assume that I could still plug the 10gb version into my existing gigabit LAN without any special adapters and have it work properly at gigabit speed?

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Sorry to revive an old thread, but came across it while searching about the 10Gbe heat issues, so if anyone else is curious about it:

Hard to measure for sure how much the NIC is heating up the rest of the system, but my BTO w/10Gbe does run fairly hot, spending quite a lot of time at max fans when under even moderately strong load. More notable is that the NIC itself pretty reliably overheats in Bootcamp, though for whatever reason never in MacOS. This seems to happen regardless of how much data is actually being transferred at the time. See thread here:

Currently getting a custom Mac Mini cooling base, will see how that does. Just given how key Bootcamp is for me, I'd probably rather have gone with the regular 1Gbe NIC and a TB3 dongle.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Is there supposed to be a heat issue when using the gE port in general or only with 10gE speeds? My i7 doesn't run particularly hot or loud but I'm only using a standard Cat 6e with it right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.