Mac mini 2018 ssd speed?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by radiohead007, Nov 8, 2018.

1. radiohead007 macrumors newbie

radiohead007

Curious of apples internal ssd implementation? Any speed tests from early buyers?

2. killawat macrumors 65816

Theres already a few tests on the various threads. Standard NVMe speeds. I'll link if I come across one.

3. gp313 macrumors newbie

According to some test, it should be around 2800MB/s in both writing and read.

4. mikehalloran macrumors 6502

From the looks of it, should be similar to the iMac Pro. The iFixIt teardown showed a glimpse and it appears to be the same design. Coupled with the buss and RAM speeds, it should be quite impressive once people get around to Geekbenching it.

5. jdmagoo1 macrumors regular

6. F-Train macrumors 6502

There isn't one, there's a page full of rubbish. It's being discussed in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/im-very-happy-with-my-new-2018-mini-are-others-as-well.2153434/

Which contains this to-the-point post among others:
    '
    I saw the iFixit article this morning after I did my own upgrade. Their article is junk, completely wrong. It's a mix of 2014 Mini, 2018 mini and Mac Book Pro. They even said they didn't actually HAVE a 2018 Mini. They pulled stuff from their other articles and cut and pasted the article together without even having the 2018 Mini. They even said they "borrowed" some of the pictures from this forum.

7. tubedogg macrumors regular

To be fair to iFixIt, iFixIt didn't write it, for one thing. The person that did has since fixed all the pictures. And they never claimed it was a teardown to start with, simply a guide on how to upgrade the RAM.

8. radiohead007 thread starter macrumors newbie

radiohead007

Good information. To achieve ~2800 externally would I need nvme ssd in a tb3 enclosure? May consider smaller internal drive for os and rest external.

9. F-Train, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

F-Train macrumors 6502

To be fair to iFixit, iFixit published it. As far as I know, publishers decide what to publish and are responsible for what they publish.

This was disgraceful, and had no apparent purpose other than to sucker people into going to their site and taking the drivel that they published seriously.

10. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

11. radus macrumors 6502

Using an external TB3 nvme housing I got around 2400 write and read (1TB nvme SSD WD Black) and TRIM.

12. tubedogg macrumors regular

Define "published it". As far as I can tell, literally anybody can write a guide for their site, and iFixIt, the company, doesn't review them prior to being available to the public. Following your logic, MacRumors published your post and therefore to the extent that it's wrong, should be ridiculed simply because they allow people to post on these forums.