Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixthefire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2018
I just ordered the new Mac mini and went for the standard 8GB version. I plan to buy 32GB 2666 MHZ DDR4 RAM and then got asked what PIN count I wanted, with 240 and 260 being options.

Any thoughts as to which it should be?

Your thoughts on brand would be very helpful too!

UPDATE: 10/11/18
I have received my Mac Mini and installed the memory and the upgrade was really worth it.

It's not as simple as the previous Mac Mini, but it didn't take longer than 15mins to do.

I ordered 2 x 16GB Corsair sticks and these worked a charm.

The screwdrivers needed are:
TR6 hexagonal - note this is the security one with a hole in the centre. Used for most screws.
T5 hexagonal - used for the ram cage
T10 Hexagonal - used to remove the motherboard

It sounds more complex than it actually is.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited:

dombera

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2013
I just ordered the new Mac mini and went for the standard 8GB version. I plan to buy 32GB 2666 MHZ DDR4 RAM and then got asked what PIN count I wanted, with 240 and 260 being options.

Any thoughts as to which it should be?

Your thoughts on brand would be very helpful too!

I have ordered this kit from Amazon. I already have it so now just waiting for my mini to turn up kn 7th Nov :)
You can also get 32GB kit too.

This is the same spec as the RAM in new mini (DDR4, 2666 MT/s).

I have always had great experience with Crucial Ram. My previous mini (late 2012 server) has been upgraded with Crucial Ram the first day I got it and it's been running 24/7 since.

felixthefire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2018
I have ordered this kit from Amazon. I already have it so now just waiting for my mini to turn up kn 7th Nov :)
You can also get 32GB kit too.

This is the same spec as the RAM in new mini (DDR4, 2666 MT/s).

I have always had great experience with Crucial Ram. My previous mini (late 2012 server) has been upgraded with Crucial Ram the first day I got it and it's been running 24/7 since.

I was looking at getting Crucial RAM also, but the Vengence model, this has options for the PIN count on the sticks and that is what stumped me. Do you know the PIN count to order?

dombera

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2013
I was looking at getting Crucial RAM also, but the Vengence model, this has options for the PIN count on the sticks and that is what stumped me. Do you know the PIN count to order?
DDR4 SO-DIMMs modules have 260-Pins. You can read up more here (under 'Module packaging').
[doublepost=1541153569][/doublepost]
This should work right?
Yep, it will be fine.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

felixthefire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2018
Ok cool. Thanks a lot!
I don’t buy memory every day and didn’t want to get this wrong.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but IF I was ordering a new Mini (and they're not even out until next week), and IF I wanted to order "more RAM", I'd buy the 8gb "minimum" and live with it for a month or two, until enough reports have come in as to what works and what doesn't.

There are bound to be some problems, and I'd rather that others find them!

I can live with 8gb for the time being.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for that link. Looking at the prices for the larger modules, maybe the Apple price is not so bad after all...

All that tells me and anyone sane, or anyone not doing full studio (video and/or audio), is to go with 32gb for now. You probably won't come even near needing that. The price will drop on it. computer parts, man in the beginning, $$$$$$$, wait and be patient they always get cheap. Early adopters always pay for it, literally. Hell you might just go 16gb for now until prices drop. me I'd do 32gb and be done with it for years. I'm running 16gb in my MM quad core and it's never slowed down on me.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks for that link. Looking at the prices for the larger modules, maybe the Apple price is not so bad after all...

$329 for 32GB vs $600 from Apple?

Of course Apple is actually selling you 24GB for $600 while OWC is giving you 32GB.

Tim Cook and his crime crew are high functioning psychopaths who should be in the SHU at Pelican Bay.

Reactions: Cape Dave

hsadler

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
$329 for 32GB vs $600 from Apple?

Of course Apple is actually selling you 24GB for $600 while OWC is giving you 32GB.

Tim Cook and his crime crew are high functioning psychopaths who should be in the SHU at Pelican Bay.

Yes.... $329 for the 32GB minus what you can sell the 8GB for that you will replace.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
Eh OWC is overpriced + hold out for black friday deals as well. That's what I'm doing anyway, I only ordered with 8GB, and will wait for more benchmarks, etc.. and a deal. I'm wanting 32GB for closer to the $200 mark.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
32 GB seems like the sweet spot at the moment - should be a net of about $200-210 if you buy for about $270 and get $60-70 from selling the 8GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.