Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Green_Plums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Uk
Hello!

New-ish to Mac's.

Does the 2014 Mac mini, what HDMI port version does it have? Assuming it wont support 2560x1440 from what I've read so I'll need to use a thunderbolt port that anything bigger than 1920x1080?

Am I correct in thinking a standard mini displayport cable to standard cable will support 2560x1440 at 60hz?

For example... This cable?

Thanks!

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Does the 2014 Mac mini, what HDMI port version does it have? Assuming it wont support 2560x1440 from what I've read so I'll need to use a thunderbolt port that anything bigger than 1920x1080?

Apple has a technical specs page for the Mini with some fairly useful info. That page says:

Support for up to two displays at 2560 by 1600 pixels, both at millions of colors

Thunderbolt digital video output:

Native Mini DisplayPort output
DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

HDMI video output:

Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz
DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)​

As to whether it can support 60Hz, I'm not sure it'll handle it at anything above 1080p (maybe someone else can answer in more detail). From Apple's 4k support page, the Mini certainly can't do 4k at 60Hz...

Reactions: Green_Plums

Green_Plums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Uk
Hmmm....

Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz
DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

So it the mini limited to these resolutions?

There's a lot of other resolutions in-between what you've mentioned.

I may just buy a cable and see what happens, it's fairly cheap after all.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
So it the mini limited to these resolutions?

There's a lot of other resolutions in-between what you've mentioned.

Oh! No, those are the maximum resolution / Hz values. All the Minis are quite capable of handling many, many different resolutions. (I've plugged all sorts of monitors & TVs into mine. :) )

I may just buy a cable and see what happens, it's fairly cheap after all.

Yeah, you can never have too many cables / adapters. :) I've got an entire shelf of various types of cords just in case I need a specific type...

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
The answer to you question seems "no". The mini will output 2560x1440 but less than 60hz. I would say you will not notice any problem seeing movies. Any frame rate drop is likely caused by graphic power of your mini rather than the cable or the monitor.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I didn't have a problem with that resolution, using a cheap Displayport cable.

Also worked quite well using the HDMI cable that came in the box with the monitor.

Screen Shot.png

Last edited:

Green_Plums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Uk
@Sun Baked

So that's just a simple mini displayport cable to standard displayport cable?

I was thinking it's basically the same technology you'd find in a PC with similar GPU specifications so why not, if you are just using a simple conversion cable that's great news!

Also worked quite well using the HDMI cable that came in the box with the monitor.

Do you mean 2560x1440 @ 60hz worked through HDMI too?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Hello!

New-ish to Mac's.

Am I correct in thinking a standard mini displayport cable to standard cable will support 2560x1440 at 60hz?

For example... This cable?

Thanks!

2560x1440 @ 60hz will work with a MDP to DP cable plugged into the Thunderbolt port. The cable you linked looks correct to me.

Green_Plums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Uk
The cheap DisplayPort cable and the HDMI cable I had both supported 2560x1440 :D

One thing that made my eyes burn was that my monitor was picked up as a "TV" which meant it didn't display colours correctly so I had to follow this guide a little annoying at first as I had no idea what was wrong my Windows based PC appeared fine.

Thanks for the friendly help guys :)

Reactions: jpietrzak8

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Wow, I'm surprised; I thought that would only happen with really old monitors. Can you tell us the make and model of the monitor?"

I have a Viewsonic VX2770 that's about 2.5 years old, and (when connected via HDMI) it does the same thing.
That is, my late-2012 Mac Mini "sees" it "as a tv", and NOT as a "computer display".

There were no problems with sharpness, but I wanted to "force" RGB color, as well.

After a couple of failed attempts (the instructions are a bit vague), I got it to work.
Of interest is that if I go to the Displays preference pane, it now identifies as "Display with forced RGB mode (EDID override)".

I will -guess- that the "EDID" function (does this mean "external display ID?" gets confused when a display is connected via HDMI...

Reactions: jpietrzak8

Green_Plums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Uk
Wow, I'm surprised; I thought that would only happen with really old monitors. Can you tell us the make and model of the monitor?

It's a BenQ GW2765HT I'm using the mini DisplayPort to Displayport cable, my eyes were being strained before I forced RBG colour.

EDID reading in OS X is buggy. On the exact same hardware but just running Windows, the OS will read the EDID just fine.

Glad everything is working fine.

Thank you :)

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I have a pair of Dell S2340L monitors both connected by HDMI (one through a mini Displayport-to-HDMI adapter) and the Dell monitor OSD (On Screen Display) on both monitors says they are running with Input Color Format YPbPr. They run fine with YPbPr, so I probably don't need to change that format. When I set the monitors to Input Color Format RGB the colors are all messed up, for example white is changed to green.

I noticed recently on the OSX Menu bar selection for Airplay the settings both my monitors are labelled as Connected TV which I have been wondering about. I think before OSX El Capitan the monitors were just labelled as ordinary displays but I may be incorrect about that.

Ghaleon

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
I am posting this message from a 2014 Mac Mini with a Dell U2515H Display. It runs at 1440 x 2560 resolution, 60 Hz. The image is very beautiful. I had it for about a week.

And yes, it uses the Mac's mini Display port. If I were using the HDMI port the monitor would be running at a lower resolution.

Cleider

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
Ghaleon.. I bought a Philips 288/P6LJEB ultra HD 4k... and using a mini displayport to displayport cable.. I got only 30hz. Then.. the unique resolution that work in 60hz was 1080p. Am I doing something wrong?
I selled this monitor and I'll to buy a DELL like your.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
I am posting this message from a 2014 Mac Mini with a Dell U2515H Display. It runs at 1440 x 2560 resolution, 60 Hz. The image is very beautiful. I had it for about a week.

And yes, it uses the Mac's mini Display port. If I were using the HDMI port the monitor would be running at a lower resolution.

Unless I am mistaken you should be able to get 2560 x 1440 resolution from the HDMI cable too - I've had this monitor before and the screen quality is certainly impressive for the price. Have you tried the monitor over HDMI?

A Loutfi

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2017

I'm looking at the U2515, too, but I hate that it's matte; I prefer glossy. The other option I'm considering is the S2415; what do you think? I use my Mini for amateur photo editing.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
I'm looking at the U2515, too, but I hate that it's matte; I prefer glossy. The other option I'm considering is the S2415; what do you think? I use my Mini for amateur photo editing.

Are you interested in the S2415 or the S2415H?

I like my U2515(H) for photo editing but... This U2515H is not a glossy finish monitor. It is big and beautiful with plenty of adjustments and other Dell Ultrashrarp features but this monitor has a light matte finish on the screen.

Have you checked that monitor listing that Fishrrman posted?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-brands-of-monitors-are-good.1991582/#post-23545272

The S2415H seems like a nice glossy option for you. If it matters, the cost is less than ½ of the price for its 25" cousin. Note: Some Amazon reviews indicate that the S2415H lacks a height adjustment. It also appears to have a different port configuration than the Ultrasharp series monitors. While the U2515H has DP, mDP, and HDMI inputs as well as one DP output, the S2415H has HDMI and VGA inputs. I suppose that the analog input feature helps if you want to use this display with a legacy computer.

Last edited:

A Loutfi

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2017
Are you interested in the S2415 or the S2415H?

I like my U2515(H) for photo editing but... This U2515H is not a glossy finish monitor. It is big and beautiful with plenty of adjustments and other Dell Ultrashrarp features but this monitor has a light matte finish on the screen.

Have you checked that monitor listing that Fishrrman posted?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-brands-of-monitors-are-good.1991582/#post-23545272

The S2415H seems like a nice glossy option for you. If it matters, the cost is less than ½ of the price for its 25" cousin. Note: Some Amazon reviews indicate that the S2415H lacks a height adjustment. It also appears to have a different port configuration than the Ultrasharp series monitors. While the U2515H has DP, mDP, and HDMI inputs as well as one DP output, the S2415H has HDMI and VGA inputs. I suppose that the analog input feature helps if you want to use this display with a legacy computer.

Hi, thanks for the detailed description and link. I wasn't so sure which way to go (higher resolution or glossy surface). Glossy surface eventually won and Amazon has just emailed me that my new S2415 is on its way :) Will be sharing my experience once it arrives!

_UrBaN_

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2018
Hello! New to the forum, happy to be here!

I just bought the AOC Q3279VWF and I connected it to my mini late 2012 with a MDP to DP cable.
I get the 2560x1440, but I can't get the 75Hz, only the 60Hz. The refresh rate menu (mac mini settings) is grayed and I can't change it.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I just bought the AOC Q3279VWF and I connected it to my mini late 2012 with a MDP to DP cable.
I get the 2560x1440, but I can't get the 75Hz, only the 60Hz. The refresh rate menu (mac mini settings) is grayed and I can't change it.

As far as I know, that's the max refresh rate you're going to get at that resolution without modifications.

The pixel clock patch might open up 75Hz at that resolution, but I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.