Mac Mini Boot Issues

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by BenJeffrey, Sep 29, 2016.

1. BenJeffrey macrumors newbie

Hello all!

I'm new to the forum, but a sworn Apple fanboy so i'm going to find a ton of use for this forum!

I've recently purchased a Mac Mini to run in my office, although it looks like it needs a little work. Mac is powering up with the fan on and LED light on, but most of the time there is no display and apple tune.

What am I looking at to try and resolve this? More than happy and comfortable opening it up and pulling it apart! :)

Cheers
    Ben

2. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

People can help you if you tell us which Mini and OS X you are using. Hit the little Apple in the left hand corner and go to About this Mac and tell us what you have except for serial number.

3. BenJeffrey thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about that! I've not received the Mini yet but it won't have a HDD or RAM upon arrival, plus i'm unable to find out which OS was on it previously. The mini itself is

Mac Mini A1347 MD387 (2012) i5 2.5ghz

Hope that is of some use?

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The original shipped OS was 10.8 (Mountain Lion) using Internet Recovery or any other OS after 10.8 that you have purchased from Apple.

Here is information about your model Mac mini:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i5-2.5-late-2012-specs.html

You need to install RAM.
    You need to install a internal drive or connect a external drive with a Mac OS on it. If you can swing it a SSD (Samsung & Crucial are popular) would provide better performance that a HDD (spinner).

5. ipos macrumors 6502a