Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I have built a double esata hack mac mini from a 2.53ghz 2009 mac mini. here are two shots of it finished front and back.

Now it is finished for testing and work. But not for prettiness. I hope to redesign it for looks and will post more soon. It has 2 1.5tb wd cavair blacks inside of sans digital towerstor units. both drives are seen as internal hdds. i can clone from a to b at about 140mb/s drifting down to 110mb/s near the end of the hdd's. These esata hacks are low cost and you can bring the mini back to stock if you choose to do so. I have a lot of photos and links to post. I have two of these. Both are late 2009 models both are double esata hacks. one is a 2.53ghz and one is a 2.66ghz. when all is said and done I would hope to show how to do this with a 2.53ghz 2009 server model and a 2.66ghz 2009 factory upgraded model. The 2009 2.53ghz and 2009 2.66ghz both work really well I have used them as double esata hacks for months. The one below is the lower cost single bay hdds with a basic dvd player. I hope to show this with a pair of two bay hdds and a higher end dvd player already built and tested. Finally with a rosewill 8bay case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132016&Tpk=rosewill 8 bay

I have the parts have not built it yet. I am using this with my new mac pro.

Attachments

• IMG_0461-1mb.jpg
    IMG_0461-1mb.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,680
  • IMG_0460-1mb.jpg
    IMG_0460-1mb.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 589

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
TO MODERATORS I know I am replying to myself but I wanted to show a lot of photos on this build photo shows two esata cables connected to the top and bottom slots of a 2009 mac mini a 2.66ghz model i needed an adapter caddy to do it correctly. since this was on a 1 drive 2009 mac mini not the server the adapter tray/caddy was needed. the reason you need the tray is the sata connection to the inside dvd is not a standard size 2.5/3.5 sata conntection. the tray makes it fit standard sata plugs. I also used a small male male adapter to hooke the esata cable to the inside for the mini. since i did this i found better parts to do a cleaner job. they are on order. I found a good price for the adapter tray if you don't have a 2009 sever you will need the tray. I found a 1 piece cable that allows for a much nice mount to the mini. if any one want links just reply to this post.

Attachments

• IMG_0361small.jpg
    IMG_0361small.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 500
  • IMG_0360small.jpg
    IMG_0360small.jpg
    930.4 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0359small.jpg
    IMG_0359small.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 482
  • IMG_0371smaller.jpg
    IMG_0371smaller.jpg
    886.2 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_0362smaller.jpg
    IMG_0362smaller.jpg
    737.1 KB · Views: 605

mooonte

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
is it possible to make something like this in a macbook late 2007?

i was thinking in removing the dvd drive (since i never use it), and to find a way to fit the port in the dvd slot. (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9281)

but the problem is to know if the esata will work with a 2007 sata controller. will it be AHCI enabled?
where did you buy this bay adapter?

thanks

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
I have a 2010 model and wondered if I could run 1 sata from the optical drive out to hook up a 2TB drive. Is this possible? Don't care what it looks like. Figure run it out the front slot were the cd would go. Let me know what I need to do this. Tnks

mooonte

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
i'm not sure right now, but i think it is an A1181, and the super drive uses a mini sata connection

considering that it is a sata, will it be hot pluggeable, or ill need to restart it all the time i connect an external drive?

mooonte

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
i was looking for the difference between sata and micro sata, and all i found is that only the power connector is different

what is the difference for the sata connector? is it thinner?

because both are 7-pin, maybe its possible to make this without the tray

billib

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
USA
Data SATA cable

i was looking for the difference between sata and micro sata, and all i found is that only the power connector is different
what is the difference for the sata connector? is it thinner?
because both are 7-pin, maybe its possible to make this without the tray
I've done a similar hack to Philip's. I didn't use a tray
just the Data SATA cable. You can do it without the tray its just
not as clean. I attached the SATA cable with small zip ties. Can't
help you with the micro SATA. I just used the 7-pin SATA cable.

Docholiday52

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Source of "better parts" ? Thanks.

TO MODERATORS I know I am replying to myself but I wanted to show a lot of photos on this build photo shows two esata cables connected to the top and bottom slots of a 2009 mac mini a 2.66ghz model i needed an adapter caddy to do it correctly. since this was on a 1 drive 2009 mac mini not the server the adapter tray/caddy was needed. the reason you need the tray is the sata connection to the inside dvd is not a standard size 2.5/3.5 sata conntection. the tray makes it fit standard sata plugs. I also used a small male male adapter to hooke the esata cable to the inside for the mini. since i did this i found better parts to do a cleaner job. they are on order. I found a good price for the adapter tray if you don't have a 2009 sever you will need the tray. I found a 1 piece cable that allows for a much nice mount to the mini. if any one want links just reply to this post.

I would appreciate the links to the "better parts"
Doc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.