Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Mini is EOL'd sources are telling folks over at AppleInsider. This makes me think a new system is on the way. So Long Mini, Hello ....Macintosh? Im hoping for the consumer tower. Anyone think there is a chance of Apple bringing in a new machine or perhaps a cubelike redo?

Yeah i'd be tempted by that. Maybe it's just minor updates to the mini though.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Give it dedicated graphics and I'd buy one! (A combination of Mini and AppleTV).

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I believe it will be a revamp to the mini line. This also ties in with the Macbook rumors as they both use the same GMA950 and are both rumored for a change soon. Perhaps with Leopard apple realised that the 950 isn't going to perform too well. Heres to updated graphics in both the Macbook and the new Mini.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Apple hasnt done anything with Mini in a long long time. This latest update was just a cpu change and they didnt say much. Apple needs 3 desktops in my view, a consumer tower,a all in one and a Pro Model. I thought this was interesting since we own one and when Apple has a slight upgrade and says nothing then usually a replacement is on the way. It would be a terrific time to introduce a new OS and a new "Macintosh" to run it as long as it didnt have integrated graphics.:D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The August Mac mini update didn't require any sort of retooling. I doubt there was any cost to doing it for two months.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
I hope that apple decides against the mini, I know of more than a few people who are just waiting for some quick cash to come through and with their own monitor and inputs, they can have their mac

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
This:

http://machappens.com/2007/09/17/aluminum-and-glass-mac-mini/

macmini_1.jpg

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Why would they discontinue the Mini, as they don't have anything to replace it with (as yet) ... :confused:

The mini was my first Mac and I'm sure it was the first for many switchers ... :)

mikeytrend

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
San Francisco, CA
This makes a lot of sense because the apple store closest to me has recently received a new store layout and now that I think about it I don't think there were any mac minis out for testing.

I think people are starting to move away from the low-end desktop because for a couple more hundred (which you'd end up spending on displays and such anyways) you can get a low-end laptop that can go anywhere.

I don't quiet know what apple has up their sleeve for their next low-end desktop, but I'm excited either way.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
If the mac mini is discontinued (although I can see them bringing a better spec out still - ie x3100) it looks like I'll be making a windows based system to put under my tv as the :apple:tv just doesn't cut it in my view.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Not EOL'd, just renamed to Apple-TV Extreme ;-)
now with full sized TOS port, and HDMI port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.