Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
the new process is not necessary for the mini the sole purpose is to make portables stronger. how often do you move a desktop.

Not to mention that the Mac mini has had an aluminium shell since the beginning, and it's already extremely strong.

All we need is that nVidia 9400M, up to 4GB max and a superdrive in all models. :D

Jimmery

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2005
Canada
Not to mention that the Mac mini has had an aluminium shell since the beginning, and it's already extremely strong.

All we need is that nVidia 9400M, up to 4GB max and a superdrive in all models. :D

What's pathetic is that this could easily be done.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX

This is true. I would think Apple does not have time, because they just released new MacBooks/MacBook Pros, and probably are having some extremely minor glitches with them, and trying to control it because Apple are all perfectionists.

tom53092

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Want to upgrade from my G4 mini

The latest MacBooks seem to be the first that can handle playing hi-def (https://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/1...oding-of-h-264-on-new-macbooks-pros-and-airs/). And they seem to handle it without breaking a sweat. This is what I've been waiting for in a mini. I'd buy two just to use one as a DVR.

Now I'm glad they didn't update the mini within the last few months. If they had, we'd be sitting on THAT rev for the next year. I'm keeping the faith and hoping they update the mini to MacBook specs by MacWorld. Of course, they could intentionally underpower it to try to make the iMacs look more attractive, but I'm betting not. They'll be competing with quad-core desktops from other vendors, so even with new MacBook-like specs, the new mini wouldn't be a standout performer.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch

Personally I think they should dump the Mac mini and go for something similar to this design:

sunray2.jpg

Or even something basic like this:

srfs.gif

eric m.

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Kalispell, MT
love the mini.

i work at a place where we use a mac pro, imacs, macbooks, and a mac mini in our daily operations. for normal everyday use, the mac mini works great. i'd say 99% of non gaming computer users would be just fine with a 1.83ghz mac mini for their computer needs. obviously it's not going to work well for video editing or anything more than children's games, but for basic email, internet, itunes, and even office and iwork applications it's been fine for me.

i'm very impressed by this little machine and i have recommended it to tons of friends as a first step into the world of apple. if they discontinue the mini, apple will really be shooting themselves in the foot. i'd bet a lot of people graduate from the mini to the imac and apple needs to keep a lower cost computer in their line-up.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
The latest MacBooks seem to be the first that can handle playing hi-def. And they seem to handle it without breaking a sweat. This is what I've been waiting for in a mini.

Me too. I've even got the gift cards saved up.

The Mac mini may be pronounced dead as soon as today's Apple earnings conference call, as two major retailers in Europe have confirmed to me that they can't order any more of the little computers. While this could signal an updated model coming in, they have been told by Apple to expect no more of it. Their impression is that—once again—the Mac Mini may be dead dead DEAD for real, even while you can still order it at the Apple Store.

Let's hope! And maybe a silent update, as well. Let's hear it for new Mini's in a few hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.