Mac Mini for desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by KyleKlink, Nov 6, 2009.

1. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

I'm not new to Macs, I've owned a 20" iMac which I sold after 6 months, a 24" iMac which I sold after 9 months, and a 13.3" MBP which I returned after 7 days (I didn't like Mac OS X on the small screen; I'm not really sure why).

I have been considering selling my PC and buying a Mac Mini, since I cannot really afford an iMac at this point in time. My concern is that the majority of Mini users I've seen on forums use it as a home theater solution, rather than as a desktop. I'm worried that I might find it to be slow compared to my current PC and the previous Macs I've owned (though the current specs seem to match the specs of the MBP I just returned). I don't do much on my computer besides web surfing, E-mail, browsing YouTube, and writing papers for my college classes.

Does the mini work well as a desktop? Given the light nature of my use, would a Mini work well for me as a desktop, or should I hold off until I can afford an iMac?

Thanks in advance.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The current gen mini will be fine. It's hard to compare it to your current PC since you failed to list the specs of your current pc. While my mini is a HTPC, it is also something I use for YouTube, web browsing, e-mail, and VLC.

3. njean777 macrumors 6502

well if you like macs why did you sell them so quickly after buying them? Answer to your question: yes the mac mini will be just fine for you. Im actually trying to sell my pc for a mac mini. I am using it for the same thing you are.

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

My Mac Mini is my main computer and I only use it for web browsing, Youtube, school, and watching TV shows. It is perfectly fine for my needs and should be fine for yours.

5. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that the current mini is as fast as the fastest PCs were about three years ago. Of course it will be fast enough for the tasks you've listed. I'm preparing to sell my ship anchor Mac Pro and replace it with a mini.

6. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Just because I like something doesn't mean I would have no reason to sell it. I sold the first iMac because I was moving and needed the cash. A few months after arriving in my new town I picked up the 24", which I then ended up selling because my wife needed a specific camera lens for her business.

Now that I'm fairly certain that I am going to be living in this town for a while, and my wife has all the equipment she could ever want or need for her business, I want to get a Mac again.

7. MrSEC macrumors regular

Agreed.I edit,and encode video with mine and it works fairly well.The only reason it doesn't work really well is because the processor is only a 1.83 and it has the pathetic intel graphics,which isn't a problem anymore since they went to Nvidia.

8. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Sorry, I didn't find that information to be relevant, as I wasn't looking for a comparison to my current PC. Rather, I just wanted to know if the Mini works well as a desktop (performing the tasks I listed).

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And I answered your quesiton, but thanks for picking out one part that apparently you find irrelevant given that you said
    . Odd that I would somehow think that was relevant to you. :rolleyes:

10. sfroom macrumors regular

Absolutely. The new mini's are solid performers, even the graphics are pretty decent for a casual user. Buy the base model with a student discount. None of the upgrades from apple are worth the cash, although if you want to spend some money, the remote, magic mouse, and keyboard (wired or wireless) are nice accessories.

11. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

She certainly told you. She did answer your question with the fist sentence.

These people listen to NPR, you need to be on your toes at all times.

12. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Im not trying to offend, please do not take my previous comments as offensive.

Though I did mention my concern about the Mac Mini feeling slow compared to my current PC, my question was not asking if that was going to be likely, but rather if the Mac Mini can easily handle the tasks I listed.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

NPR didn't get me where I am today.

OP, let me put it this way, with the 9400 card in there it is a highly capable machine. I would increase the ram from 2gb to 4 gb right away though.

14. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

She answered my question, yes, but then went on to assert that I failed to provide other details; details that it seems she thinks were relevant. Despite my supposed failure, she was able to answer my initial question nonetheless.

Maybe those additional details were not necessary after all...

15. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Thanks for the advice, and the lively debate! :cool:

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

17. EasyRider macrumors regular

EasyRider

I don't think you can really compare pc/mac speed with just specs... Macs just run better even when the specs are below their pc counterpart.

My 2.16 c2d imac easily outpaces many other higher powered PCs running the same/similar software. They have better video cards, higher speed processors and more memory... yet my mac "seems" to run smoother with little to no hickups. It gets more work done in the same amount of time.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wasn't trying to, wasn't going to, wasn't implying you could or should, and know enough to understand that the CPU works completely different on each platform.

19. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Yes, you will be fine. I got my 09 Mini a few months back and have been using it none stop as my primary desktop. My previous is my 06 Macbook, but its being really flaky lately.

20. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

NPR didn't get you on a forum, on a Friday, at 0044 EST... I can see the logic there. :D

21. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

Because its BBC International at that time of night, duh. Who cares anyway?

On topic, the current Mac Mini sounds like it would be a perfect fit for your needs. And you can can listen to streaming NPR or Glenn Beck or whatever real well.

22. almac68 macrumors member

almac68

I have windows 7 and SL running in my 2.0GHz mac mini with 4GB ram. I am running software like Solidedge (which is a 3D design software), Autocad 2007, Sketchup, Adobe Premier CS3, Orion (A structural analysis software), Microsoft Flight Sim X and etc. If I can run all these fine on the mac mini. The latest crop of mac mini should be even better.

23. moomog macrumors member

Of course you can't compare the 2 exactly as they are all physically different.
    I have 2 legs but I can't run as fast as Usain Boult.

24. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Mine is my only computer now (sold my XPS laptop last week). I play HD videos, I run Office 2008, I browse the web, I occasionally play EVE Online, and I even run Adobe CS4 apps on it.

OK, mine's not the usual Mini with it's upgrades, but even before the SSD it ran everything fine.

The almost complete silence is the main bonus - I only get a tiny bit of fan noise for a minute or so after watching a HD movie.

I used to run mine with dual screens too (2x19" Dell 1280x1024), but got a great deal on the 23" which is better for watching videos.

25. dyn macrumors 68030

The Mac mini uses laptop hardware so compare it with that. The hardware is quite up to par with a lot of notebooks out there (that's certainly the case with the current late 2009 model!). My early 2009 Mac mini is faster than my early 2008 MBP. The cpu is 400 MHz slower but the FSB is 1066 MHz and it uses sata 3 Gbps which is why it is faster (the MBP has 800 MHz FSB and uses sata 1.5 Gbps although the chip is capable of doing 3 Gbps). The MBP only is faster in the graphics department but not all that much. This is just 1 year of age difference we're talking about so that 3 years is very exaggerated. It's like telling someone that their machine might have the speed of an 486. By saying that you're walking on eggs or something.