Mac Mini Good For Downloading and DVD-Ripping?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zainjetha, Mar 2, 2008.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Hi

I have a MacBook Pro which i use for everything. However I have an old Desktop PC which is before Dual-core. Its a clone 2.4ghz processor, 512mb ram. However get the impression its going to pass away soon... I use it for downloading off bit-torrent and it stays on ever day for at least 12 hours. It is also used for ripping CD's and encoding of video files before they are transferred to mac. No data is stored on it whatsoever. I am planning on purchasing a mac mini for the sole purpose of downloading and dvd ripping most hours of day, and ripping cds, converting of video files, all of which i dont like to do on MBP. How do you reckon MacMini would function as a workhorse. I am considering getting the lowest spec one. Would it be able to handle the level of work which i expect from it?

Please understand that i only rip my own DVDs ( i purchase a LOT of them) and bit-torrentting of music, tv shows is legal where i live) i only use bit-torrent to download episodes of TV shows, movies etc. while the seasons are playing and once the season is over i purchase the boxset.

2. zainjetha thread starter macrumors 6502a

simply put, does it get hot easily? i dont intent to store much data on it.. as soon as i finish ripping a dvd on it or a download i will immediately transfer to my 1tb external harddisk, therefore i dont require a large harddisk. i will use my old tft monitor from my pc when it passes away.

3. natharvey macrumors member

I think that's a great idea. the mac mini should be able to push that kinda work. especially since u won't be doing any other stuff with it. but I think if you have the resources that u have I think its a good plan

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you feel that your MBP is capable of doing that kind of work for you, then the Mac Mini should be able to do it as well.

Mind you, the lowest spec'd Mac Mini doesn't come with a Superdrive (DVD burner). You'd have to get the better machine. If you have an external DVD burner, I guess it doesn't matter.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you take the cheapest MacMini, perhaps a cheap 500GB USB drive, so you can rip 50 DVDs at a time, then let HandBrake run for a week, should be no problem ;)

DVD ripping uses very little RAM, it's purely CPU, so any Intel MacMini will do fine. Just avoid a used MacMini with Core Solo processor for that purpose.