Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2012
North East US
Has anyone ever seen or tried a solution where a Mini's internal parts are mounted into a regular PC case with the ability to easily swap drives?

Or is there a way to add a eSata port?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Has anyone ever seen or tried a solution where a Mini's internal parts are mounted into a regular PC case with the ability to easily swap drives?

Or is there a way to add a eSata port?

yes but with the white 2009 model. quite a few built double esata hack machines.

I had a 2009 running 12tb via esata. others popped the white top and added a second mac mini cover making the 2009 white mini about 6 inches tall with cooling and a cube like appearance.

many people have speculated these mods caused the end to the superior white design.

the new aluminum design is a good design if you do not want to mod.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1178755/

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
I am building one into a MDD case and am reusing the 4 drive carriers and the PSU. I am using two Lacie SATA hubs to go from thunderbolt to 4xsata. The MDD case is currently running the drives but I have yet to fit the mini itself. Eventually I will probably rip the power supply out of the mini and feed that 12V from the MDD powersupply as well.
Strictly speaking of course, I am leaving the mini in its case (with the exception of the PSU). It has two internal drives which will remain internal, I will just fix the mini case inside the MDD case.

Last edited:

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
I am building one into a MDD case and am reusing the 4 drive carriers and the PSU. I am using two Lacie SATA hubs to go from thunderbolt to 4xsata. The MDD case is currently running the drives but I have yet to fit the mini itself. Eventually I will probably rip the power supply out of the mini and feed that 12V from the MDD powersupply as well.
Strictly speaking of course, I am leaving the mini in its case (with the exception of the PSU). It has two internal drives which will remain internal, I will just fix the mini case inside the MDD case.

Did you ever finish this project?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.