Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blodyholy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
Iowa
Is the 2014 mac mini ram upgradable or is it soldered on?

Its mentioned as "configurable" on the Apple Store. If I had to guess, this memory is not soldered on.

Side note/question: If it is indeed not soldered on, is it possible to use DDR3 SDRAM in place of LPDDR3 SDRAM in this new machine? I'd love to toss the 16 GB memory from a recently purchased Mini into this if I decide to upgrade.

Edit: It appears the other Mac's with soldered memory refer to the memory as "onboard" whereas the wording for the new Mini's memory doesn't include onboard. Looks upgradeable?

Last edited:

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Its mentioned as "configurable" on the Apple Store. If I had to guess, this memory is not soldered on.

Side note/question: If it is indeed not soldered on, is it possible to use DDR3 SDRAM in place of LPDDR3 SDRAM in this new machine? I'd love to toss the 16 GB memory from a recently purchased Mini into this if I decide to upgrade.

I believe LPDDR3 SDRAM is what the Mac Air uses and I wouldn't expect it to be user upgradable... especially if it says "at the Apple Store only"

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
there is not disclaimer on the ram like the macbook pro and air say...most likely is user upgradeable

You're right, the MBA and low-end iMac describe the RAM as "onboard" which this does not. However, I don't think LPDDR3 SODIMMs exist...

http://www.virtium.com/blog/ddr3l-vs-lpddr3/

EDIT: LPDDR3 is designed for embedded and mobile systems and uses a very low voltage. Very unlikely this is user upgradable.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
What about the hard drive? Is it upgradable 2.5 ssd?

Sounds like flash drive.

----------

You're right, the MBA and low-end iMac describe the RAM as "onboard" which this does not. However, I don't think LPDDR3 SODIMMs exist...

http://www.virtium.com/blog/ddr3l-vs-lpddr3/

EDIT: LPDDR3 is designed for embedded and mobile systems and uses a very low voltage. Very unlikely this is user upgradable.

I would say it is not upgradeable and ssd is flash drive just like the rMBPs.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
It comes with a 2.5" 5400 rpm hard drive. The same ones that you could find in your typical laptop from 1995.

If you buy the fusion it will come with flash drive and a hard drive. Now considering it does come with a spinner you may be able to replace with your own SSD but you will not have trim enabled for garbage collection.

We will have to wait for a IFixit teardown to see exactly what is going on.

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
It looks upgradeable. Both the 21.5" iMac and the Macbook Airs have disclaimers in their BTO descriptions warning users they can't upgrade later. The new mini has no such disclaimer. I went ahead and ordered one with 8GB, if it turns out its soldered on I'll just return it and then purchase one with the upgrade.

naltst*

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
We will have to wait for a IFixit teardown to see exactly what is going on.

Exactly - If the RAM and hard drive are user upgradeable I'll buy the middle spec one straight away and then buy an SSD and up the RAM. (And a container for the old harddrive?)

If not I might have to spend a lot more to Apple to upgrade. Boo

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Sounds like flash drive.

----------

I would say it is not upgradeable and ssd is flash drive just like the rMBPs.

This is what I got from apple! I'm confused now. So the base model uses a regular 2.5 HDD @ 5400RPM, but if you upgraded to 1tb you get a PCIe-based flash drive?

Customers can choose to configure their Mac mini with up to a 3.0 GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor, up to 16GB of memory, and up to a 1TB PCIe-based flash drive.

Source: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/10/16Apple-Updates-Mac-mini.html

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
The Apple store Mini page says that the RAM is ONLY upgradeable at the online Apple store. I take that to mean it is soldered in.

naltst*

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
Last edited:

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I'm sure there isn't any LPDDR3 SO DIMM, so, probably soldered.
This.

I am going to believe RAM is non-upgrade in the 2014 Mac mini until someone can point me to any LPDDR DIMM or any product with LPDDR RAM that is actually user-upgradeable.

mullet

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2003
B'klyn
That's funny because I spoke with two reps that both said it's not possible. You have to buy the amount of RAM you need and that's it. No upgrades possible. I'm hoping they're talking out of their....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.