MAC MINI (NEW) UNDERWHELMING

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by HappyDude20, Oct 30, 2018.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

Boy, so the new Mac mini comes in space gray finish and has similar specs to that of the Mac Pro.

I’m now considering getting a used Mac Pro instead.

The new Mac Mini; the Mightiest and most versatile Mac ever? Sure. But this was a tepid update to say the least.

2. Basic75 macrumors 6502

Seriously, what more could Apple have put into a "mini"? I think it's fair to say that they delivered.

3. salmacis3 macrumors newbie

I'm pretty happy with it. I'm going to wait for the reviews, and I'm particularly interested to know if the RAM is user upgradable (not quite clear from the presentation), but I'm seriously thinking about getting the base model.

4. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I they this new Mini is a winner. All the prior issues that the castrated 2014 model had are resolved.

5. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I think it is.

6. CerebralX macrumors 6502

CerebralX

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
    What could you possibly have wanted more in a Mac mini?

7. useme2305 macrumors member

i dunno man (original poster). the new mac mini is pretty cool if you ask me. the range of cpu power from lowest to highest model is exactly what i wished for and the rear with the connectors looked much better than i feared. it's actually a worthy and awesome upgrade.

that being said. i hope it's QUIET!!

8. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

Pretty sure I heard user upgradable RAM.

9. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Moan, moan, moan.

It's a great update.

10. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I'm disappointed there's now no neutered spinner model to moan about!

11. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

You lost me there, the new Mini looks very nice to me.

12. greenmeanie macrumors 65816

greenmeanie

I like the maxed out specs but the price is a joke for whats in it.

13. esk macrumors member

they didn't even use iris graphics. This mini is pointless without an eGPU

14. Midgetinabikini macrumors regular

8gen CPU, lots of RAM, lots of SSD, great networking. I'de like one to replace my Hackintosh.

15. auxsend macrumors regular

auxsend

It's a great value proposition. Frankly, you hook up some USB-C SSD, or even NVMe storage, and en e-GPU and the base model's adequate. Especially since you can pop in your own memory.

The only thing you might think about upgrading is the processor. You can do the rest on your own. It's a Mac Mini ownsers dream come true.

Unless you thought you were going to get a headless iMac Pro for $500 - which seems to have been the expectations from those who are showing disappointment.

16. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I'm very happy. Apple did very good with this update. Going to buy an eGPU and a mid tier model and replace my Ryzen Desktop.

17. Basic75 macrumors 6502

You're missing the point, it's not a gamer PC. It has 10Gbit ethernet and 64GB RAM, rack hosting and other cluster users will love it.

18. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

better price! You can get a ryzen 2700x + 32gb ram + 512gb ssd +gtx 1060 (+board+case and psu) for 1200$. Compared to an i7, 8gb,512ssd for 1500$

there is a some serious magical apple tax in this!

The machine & options are great but the price is not

19. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

If the RAM is not user upgradeable, then this is the one of the worst cases of false advertising that I ever seen: Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 4.39.56 PM.png

20. CerebralX macrumors 6502

CerebralX

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
    Do you get 4 thunderbolt 3 ports + 10Gbit ethernet for that as well? How about MacOS, does it run MacOS?

21. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Solid update brings a solid price increase, that's not criticism it's just the reality of decent specs. I'll see what the benchmarks come out at and probably upgrade in the next few weeks. Might as well buy soon, they won't be updating this machine for a while!

22. pl1984 macrumors 68020

IMO this is a much better buy than a used Mac Pro (I am assuming you're referring to the 6,1 model Mac Pro). Unless you require the graphics capability of the discrete GPUs in the Mac Pro or a processor with more than six cores (when it comes to multi threaded tasks the eight core might be slightly faster than the six cores in this new Mini ibut it won't be a slam dunk).

23. phoenix-mac-user macrumors newbie

Umm. Are you new to this company called Apple? I have been buying Apple desktops going all the way back to the first iMac and this has always been the case. Even if you are looking at the old $499 mac mini, you could build the same/better computer for $100-$200 less.

I briefly went to a PC for a year, because I was upset at how quickly they made my $2000 G5 obsolete after the switch to intel, and it was the worst year of my life and am glad to pay the "magical apple tax" again.

But it has always been this way and these new Mac minis are completely in line with what you would pay with any previous systems they offered. Heck, when you compare them to the pricing/specs on the current Mac Pro, it is a steal.

24. Oculus Mentis macrumors member

Oculus Mentis

The RAM can be upgraded but, judging from that picture, it does not seem an easy job. I hope people don’t have to slide out the motherboard out of the enclosure to remove/add the So-dimm from the slots...

25. bigfatipod macrumors regular

this looks like a solid upgrade. the price is (always) too much, but that's another topic.
    my only concern is how long before the next upgrade - four years is too much time