Mac Mini or Custom PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by droalex, Jul 5, 2009.

1. droalex macrumors member

I'm currently looking to upgrade to the new gen mac minis. I'm not new to macs I'm currently using a 1.66 Duo 2GB Ram mac mini.

How much faster are the newer mac minis when it comes to converting video (800MB DVD Rip to H264)? Using visual hub, thats my primary complaint about my current mac mini it takes forever to convert video. I want to know if I would get major better performance.

I could get a quad core computer on windows side for about the same price but no mac OS =[

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What else would you be doing. The Mini is not the greatest of machine when it comes to processor intensive things.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd get the cheapest quad core PC you can build or buy. The new Mac minis aren't going to shave enough time off any previous dual core model to be of any value.

Handbrake runs on Windows and it does so very well.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Build a PC. You already have a Mac for you OS X needs so PC will convert files so much faster

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I'm going to be the first to say that you should get a Mac Mini 2.26GHz. You will only see slight speed benefits over your current Mac Mini at first (expect around 10-20% decrease in encoding time), but when Snow Leopard comes out and software such as Handbrake starts to use OpenCL, this speed increase will completely trounce any quad core PC.

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Why do a handful of people say 2.23GHz, does it say 2.23GHz in About this Mac or somewhere else? Sorry, I'm just wondering.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Go to the configure page for the Mac Mini in the Apple online store.

8. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I know there is a BTO option for the Mac Mini for a processor speed bump and it says 2.26GHz.

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

2.23 was a typo :rolleyes:

11. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Lol, but a lot of people make a typo and put 2.23 :D

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There are no pc of that size and price that is as quiet as a mini.

13. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

based on what? Also, PC allows for upgrades and flexibility that the mini does not

14. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Is the form factor and volume a concern though? There are much better deals to be had for converting video. You could probably build a ddr3 C2Q hackintosh for close tot he price of a mini, and still run osx on it.

15. Tenebrous macrumors member

Well, what are your reasons for originally buying a Mini? In other words, was a hassle-free OS the only reason for choosing the Mini? No answer will really satisfy you unless we're aware of all the things that are important to you in considering a new computer.

16. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

http://www.voodoopc.com/#/productsfirebird

Price is $1649, but it has a Core 2 Quad and dual GeForce 9800S 512 MB in SLi.

17. Tenebrous macrumors member

Do you have a candidate in mind for something quieter than the Mini? A quick Google search shows several reviews that generally tout the Mini's quiet operation. And the Mini does allow for upgrades -- see all those USB and Firewire slots in the back? Of course those count. Apple allows you to upgrade in a different manner than your generic PC box.

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They keep slashing the prices on it.

Plenty of Mini-ITX solutions out there as well and some fanless ones if you go dual core Atom.

19. Tenebrous macrumors member

Voodoo is a high-end PC manufacturer. The Firebird starts at $1700. I'm afraid the Mini is quite a bit cheaper. Then again, we don't know if price is important to this guy or not.

20. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If you read my edits, you'll find that it is worth the higher price.

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've seen it float for $1,299 if not lower before. Now if only the Mac mini was the Firebird.

22. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

5 usb ports and one firewire is nothing to brag about. I spent less than 599 on my hac and it has 8 usb ports and 2 firewire400. AND i can upgrade the videocard. The mini is very quiet and small, but dont come in here and say its as upgradable as a tower pc, or even a micro-atx pc, just because it has usb ports. Do you think we are all retarded?

23. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I would go with a PC desktopm you already have a macmini , the macmini would be a nice media hub whle the pc desktop which will cost little be a nice work donkey for you.

24. Chihuahua1 macrumors newbie

Read this and check out some of the links.