Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KreamTea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
My current PC is getting a little out dated, so I have been wondering if now is the time to make the move to mac. The main uses will be surfing the web and doing work (mainly word processing). However I do enjoy a bit of gaming from time to time, there lots of good games on the App Store such as civ 5 and borderlands 2. So I was just wondering if a Mac mini would be up to the job or if I should by a higher spec pc for the same price.

Cheers.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice is to consider the Mini, but to _wait a little while longer_ if you can hold out.

Some have complained that the integrated graphics (Intel 4000) in the current generation ("late 2012") Mini isn't quite up to handling gaming apps as well as it might be.

The upcoming "Haswell" Minis will also have considerably-improved graphics. It should be worth the wait, and sell for essentially the same price as the current generation.

I would expect the new Minis to come to market in Jan/Feb 2014. You might use the intervening time to do a bit more investigating insofar as the Mac is concerned.

I have a late-2012 i7 2.6ghz Mini, and it's absolutely fine for what I do. I _am not_ a gamer, however, so I have no experience as to how it runs with games...

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
My advice is to consider the Mini, but to _wait a little while longer_ if you can hold out.

Some have complained that the integrated graphics (Intel 4000) in the current generation ("late 2012") Mini isn't quite up to handling gaming apps as well as it might be.

The upcoming "Haswell" Minis will also have considerably-improved graphics. It should be worth the wait, and sell for essentially the same price as the current generation.

I would expect the new Minis to come to market in Jan/Feb 2014. You might use the intervening time to do a bit more investigating insofar as the Mac is concerned.

I have a late-2012 i7 2.6ghz Mini, and it's absolutely fine for what I do. I _am not_ a gamer, however, so I have no experience as to how it runs with games...

Mostly, I agree with you.

Two points:
a. I would wait a little more...also, because of the upcoming PCI-e SSD in new Mac Mini (apart from Wi-Fi AC which sounds now worthless).
b. I wouldn't wait for the new Mac Mini till early 2014... because in late Oct.2013 is very likely to be announced!

PS: There are some important statistics by experienced MAC customers...however, technology and components are fresh + available....the only existing problem is the available quantities of components and days needed to build a min. amount of Mac Minis before the official launch...I hope late Oct.2013 is a valid date! ...come on APPLE! Roger the engines, please! (along with the new iPad and iPad Mini 2).

KreamTea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
Thanks for all the advice, I think I will wait for the new Mac mini then. I especially hope it has intel iris graphics like he iMac 21.5" because they look incredible for what they are!

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I hope late Oct.2013 is a valid date! ...come on APPLE! Roger the engines, please! (along with the new iPad and iPad Mini 2).

Despite all rumors there is another hickup for the Mini: the mac Pro. As long as that one is not on sale, Apple will not update the Mini. If they would do that, it would be utterly stupid. Do you see the MacPro arrive this month...:confused:

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
Despite all rumors there is another hickup for the Mini: the mac Pro. As long as that one is not on sale, Apple will not update the Mini. If they would do that, it would be utterly stupid. Do you see the MacPro arrive this month...:confused:

Maybe....but, do you think Mac Pro is Apple's highest priority this year? If so, why?

PS1: Personally, I bet APPLE doesn't care to update Mac Pro as highest priority....if this happens, it will be announced the same date with Mac Mini and possibly along with new iPad and iPad Mini 2 (late Oct. 2013 event!).
PS2: I read that Mac Mini case support MAX TDP 45W. Have you heard that? If so, combination of Iris Pro + Dual/Quad Core i7 mobile processor isn't an option! In this case, most possible candidate HD4600+Quad Core, HD5000+Dual Core or Iris HD5100+Dual Core.

What is your opinion?

Last edited:

jmhart

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012

By that logic they shouldn't have updated the iMac either...so, no.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
My current PC is getting a little out dated, so I have been wondering if now is the time to make the move to mac. The main uses will be surfing the web and doing work (mainly word processing). However I do enjoy a bit of gaming from time to time, there lots of good games on the App Store such as civ 5 and borderlands 2. So I was just wondering if a Mac mini would be up to the job or if I should by a higher spec pc for the same price.

Cheers.

try to hold out for a 2013 mac mini. assuming it shows up before Black friday..
if you hate it it is easy to sell it on ebay. it has low weight and is easy to ship also mac minis have good resale value. If you get tired of waiting buy a pc on black friday.

covertash

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
My two cents is that as much as I do love the Mac platform, unless you get a higher spec machine with a good dedicated GPU, your gaming experience is variable at best.

Obviously, the best of both worlds would be to have a Mac Mini, and a dedicated gaming PC. Assuming your current PC is relatively recent (has an Intel or AMD CPU from the last 2-3 years), it's quite possible to drop in a new GPU to breathe renewed life into your machine without spending too much money - especially with AMD releasing its new lineup in the coming weeks.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Despite all rumors there is another hickup for the Mini: the mac Pro. As long as that one is not on sale, Apple will not update the Mini. If they would do that, it would be utterly stupid.

Why? They are very different products aimed at two completely different markets.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I do not see Dual-Core processors in 2013 Mac mini computers. AFAIK, the new iMacs have no Dual-Core option. Dual-Core processors are less efficient than Quad-Core processors.

there are many i7 dual-core mobile Haswell processors with HD5100/5000/4600 graphics...consuming less than 47w (max. TDP of Mac Mini case).

If quad-core i7 mobile Haswell processor is selected, HD4600 graphics will be combined to keep MAX TDP below 47W.

check around...:cool:

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe

Mac Pro? It seems "YES"!

However, Mac Mini remains a "mystery", possibly because of an expected "silent update" in late Oct. 2013 similar to new iMacs.

:rolleyes:

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010

Cheers.

I just did this and, so far, am very happy. I was not concerned about the possible update of the mini as the current version runs circles around my winbox. (I take that back a bit, I was concerned about price drops but got a deal with AMX points so it balanced out.)

I also picked up Office for Mac thorugh our work at home program and it was one of my concerns. But it has been perfect. No issues with documents and I use Outlook with my POP3 account and Mail to port my wife's account (so you can have two seporate e-mail acounts on the same Mac.)

I'm still not use to the track pad and not having two buttons but otherwise all is well.

Just do it.

FWIW
DLM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.