Mac mini, performance and eventual wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rhadge, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Rhadge macrumors newbie

I'm going for my first Mac, the Mac mini.

What I want to know now, is if the 1 GB RAM Mini handles Leopard good. And if it's sufficient for HD-video, guitar recording and music editing. I am not much of a multitasker, so there won't be too much of that.

I also want to know if I should wait for the next update or go for it now?

Thanks in advance

2. Rhadge thread starter macrumors newbie

100 views and no one can tell me about Mac mini's capabilities in these areas?

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

We don't know if there will even BE another update.

More RAM is always better, but mini can do very well with only 1g. I would recommend 2 though, it and the putty knife you need to put it in are cheap.

4. Rhadge thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.
    You mean that Mac will maybe scrap the Mini for something else instead?

Yes, I read just now that you can buy separate memory from Crucial, and a putty knife from Apple, and install memory without breaking warranty? Do I order the putty knife at the same time that I order the Mac, and which particular RAM should I get?

Maybe the RAM isn't a problem. Something that I wonder about though is the hard-drive. I read here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944371 , that one must get an external 7200 rpm hard-drive to record guitar in Garage Band with reasonable latency.
    Any truth to that?

5. Cory5412 macrumors member

The big thing about the mini is that the current model has not been updated or had any speed-bumps or price reductions in a full year.

In general though, a Mac Mini should do all of those things fine. I also second the recommendation that you upgrade the mini's memory.

6. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

nah, you won't need a 7200 rpm, the hard drive inside it would work.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it is very fast for the tasks you asked.

I would upgrade to a 320GB 7200RPM drive and 2GB+ RAM for maximum benefit, but the standard configuration is very good.

Also 99 of those 100 views could be bots.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to suggest to keep waiting. That is unless you really, really need a new Mac mini right now and are willing to settle with 2006 hardware.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

2007 ;)

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

¿wut?

¿Merom? ¿945GM?

11. Cory5412 macrumors member

The mini kind of is 2006 hardware, because when they put a Core2 processor in, they did not put in the new chipset, so it's still running the old 945 "napa" chipset, not the newer 965 "Santa Rosa" chipset.

12. Rhadge thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds kind of bad.
    On the other hand, the processor should still be enough for all my needs, so I think I'll go for one anyway.

Most of all I'd like an iMac, but I can't stand having a built-in monitor. It seems like such a waste (both money and resources) when the computer is forfeit and you have to discard a working screen. That's why I opt for a Mac Mini, as long as it can do all the things I want it to do.

I figure 5200 RPM shouldn't be a problem myself. Many laptop's have that and are used for recording.
    In the worst case I'll just get an external firewire disk though, have thought of getting that anyway for storage.

13. Yvan256 macrumors 601

14. Rhadge thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help all you guys/gals.

Just to be sure though before I buy. Has anyone here actual experience with recording audio on a Mac mini? Or do you just speculate?
    Also, what is the RAM I should buy? I know it's Corsair, but which of Corsair's RAM?

15. Rhadge thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I wonder about the resell value of Mac's.
    I've heard that you can sell a Mac 2-3 years after buying it, for about half the price? Is that just a possibility if you're lucky, or completely normal?

Is it the same with Mac mini's?

Thanks in advance.

16. monjones macrumors member

I have used the Mac Mini to record with Garageband a lot (I use it with a Presonus Firebox over firewire connection to record midi keyboards, guitars and vocals). It works great. I got 2gb ram, which I got Apple to put in before I bought it. It's more expensive that way, but putting it in yourself voids the warranty and I didn't want that to happen.
    In my opinion the Mini works great. I also have a new MacBook Pro which I use for other stuff, and just have the Mini for recording and don't feel the need to use the added power of the MacBook pro for that. I think you will be very happy with a Mini if you don't want to do anything too advanced.

Edit: I notice you refer to HD video editing in your first post. I suspect the Mini may struggle with that, but don't know. I've never tried it.

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

There's no reason why it should. It'll just be as fast (or slow) as any 2 gHz Core 2 Duo processor.

18. monjones macrumors member

Does the fact it only has integrated graphics make a difference? I'm no expert on this area, but had understood that the graphics card is a factor.

19. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Nope. Final Cut Express and Pro only use the cpu, not the gpu. Only Motion and Color (part of Final Cut Studio) use the gpu on the video side, and Aperture and Pixelmator on the photo side.

20. monjones macrumors member

That's interesting to know. Thanks.

21. Rhadge thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess the Mac mini will do fine for my recording needs then.

Last question is the thing concerning Mac resell value. Will the Mac mini have an okay resell value after 2 years?

22. monjones macrumors member

No idea about resale value, and I don't think anyone can advise you on that with any accuracy. The Mini is already a bit old in terms of technology and so it's anyone's guess as to how easily you could sell it in 2 years. I think it stacks up very well compared to new systems in terms of what it is able to do. I don't think you can ever buy technology and expect to recoup that much on resale. Things move too fast for that. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not. The Mini is good value right now, and that is the best reason to buy it.

23. Rhadge thread starter macrumors newbie

Yet I've heard that Mac's have a pretty decent resell value compared to PC.
    But I guess it's hard to say with the Mini...

But how about the iMac? Next computer I buy might be an iMac. Is it true they have good resale value, like one third of the original price even after 3 years?

24. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

I say save a little more and get an iMac now instead, the Mini is old hardware and i dont personally think you get a good deal for your money. You will love an iMac and the hardware is very up to date!

25. Rhadge thread starter macrumors newbie

I won't have those kind of money the next 12 months to spend on a computer.
    Therefore I thought I'd buy a Mac mini, and even get 100 bucks back if I sell it in 2 years when I buy an iMac.