Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Can anyone who bought the new Mac Mini Server confirm if OSX 10.6 from last year (ie: from the 2009 Mac Mini) be successfully installed despite not having the drivers for 320M GPU?

bimmerfreak0

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
Can anyone who bought the new Mac Mini Server confirm if OSX 10.6 from last year (ie: from the 2009 Mac Mini) be successfully installed despite not having the drivers for 320M GPU?

Would love to know myself. Got a copy of SL sitting around, wondering if i could "downgrade" that badboy.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
You may need a copy of 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 so an old retail disc may not work. I am sure that you can install regular S.L. but it's got to be an updated version.

geltab

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
I feel like I am missing something. Why is everyone who is buying the server mini Mac wanting to get rid of server sl if it supposed to be the same, just with server options?

tpm1999

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
So...question.... The OSX server operating system contains everything the OS Client software has except the iLife software? If so, then changing the OS would not really be needed.

One just needs to find a cheap usb dvd drive to load up the iLife software.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
So...question.... The OSX server operating system contains everything the OS Client software has except the iLife software? If so, then changing the OS would not really be needed.

One just needs to find a cheap usb dvd drive to load up the iLife software.

Back in the 10.3 days, iLife would refuse to install on the server OS. However, it was simply checking one file, so you could rename the file to fool it into installing.

Some reported issues, but I never found one.

tpm1999

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
After googling a little bit, I found that osx server 10.6 does not do bootcamp.

Looks like client has some benefits after all.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
After googling a little bit, I found that osx server 10.6 does not do bootcamp.

Looks like client has some benefits after all.

Interesting. That's something I never tested as I don't use it. I do use VMware Fusion though which works without a hitch.

i7QuadCoreMania

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
I got my 2010 server running on the same discs used to restore the 2010 mac mini. I am using the 10.6.3 discs that came with the regular Mini.

Working perfectly and already updated to 10.6.4 I mainly wanted the server ver. cause of the dual HDD Raid 0 setup. I tried the regular mini on the stock apple store model 5400rpm 320gb, but seemed too slow to me and having to spend a 100 or so on a decent hard drive or 200+ on a SSD upgrade seemed to defeat the purpose.
I already had a Macbook Air superdrive that I modified to be universal so the optical drive also wasn't a big issue.

So just to confirm server works fine with the 10.6.3 install discs. :D

Money wise if you are going to spend money to upgrade the Regular mini and don't need the optical drive go for the server ver.!:apple:

pmcdunnough

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
I got my 2010 server running on the same discs used to restore the 2010 mac mini. I am using the 10.6.3 discs that came with the regular Mini.

Working perfectly and already updated to 10.6.4 I mainly wanted the server ver. cause of the dual HDD Raid 0 setup. I tried the regular mini on the stock apple store model 5400rpm 320gb, but seemed too slow to me and having to spend a 100 or so on a decent hard drive or 200+ on a SSD upgrade seemed to defeat the purpose.
I already had a Macbook Air superdrive that I modified to be universal so the optical drive also wasn't a big issue.

So just to confirm server works fine with the 10.6.3 install discs. :D

Money wise if you are going to spend money to upgrade the Regular mini and don't need the optical drive go for the server ver.!:apple:

Can you get the Mini 10.6.3 client disks from Apple? Otherwise there is no way to get the drivers for the SD slot and even ethernet to work.

The server is a really better buy, but I don't really need to run a server. Don't mind playing with it, etc... Can it ( the server disks) be installed on an 09 Mac Mini on an external drive?

philip

belltree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Can you get the Mini 10.6.3 client disks from Apple? Otherwise there is no way to get the drivers for the SD slot and even ethernet to work.

The server is a really better buy, but I don't really need to run a server. Don't mind playing with it, etc... Can it ( the server disks) be installed on an 09 Mac Mini on an external drive?

philip

Precisely. I need to find someone who bought the 2010 Mac Mini.... :(

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
I'd be willing to trade my new 2010 Mac mini client discs for the 2010 Mac mini Server discs. I already have SLS so probably won't be much interest to me after I load it on though.

i7QuadCoreMania

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Otherwise there is no way to get the drivers for the SD slot and even ethernet to work.

Just to confirm, my ethernet works and my wireless as well with the client discs.;)

I have it hooked up to my router directly and disabled the Airport and I can still access my file shares and get on the Internet.:D

btw, the 10.6.3 client discs fit on a DL DVD, and the Apps Disc is DL (double layer) as well.;)

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Can you resell the SL Server disks if you don't want to run Server? Can the Server Disks that come with the Mini be installed on any Mac?

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
Ok so it seems that the 10.6.3 disks will work, I'm wondering if the 10.6 family pack disk will work.

I'm getting the new Unibody Mac Mini Server either by the end of this week or early next week so I will let ya'll know either way. I really hope I can get it working with just the regular 10.6 family pack disks . . . .

Otherwise its looks like I will be buying a new set of disks from Apple or eBay!

-iGrant

i7QuadCoreMania

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
lol, all you guys, made me doubt myself for a minute.

Just tried it, put in a SD Card in the slot (it's not sping loaded btw) works perfectly.

I might try do a vid later to prove it works.:D

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
lol, all you guys, made me doubt myself for a minute.

Just tried it, put in a SD Card in the slot (it's not sping loaded btw) works perfectly.

I might try do a vid later to prove it works.:D

Oh I believe but most of us don't have access to the Mac OS X disc that came with the new Mac Minis. I think the rest of us just have the Snow Leopard discs thT came out when Snow Leopard first came out.

-iGrant

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
Well as they say the proof is in the pudding, well, for any non believers, here is short vid of the SAID mac mini server.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay63op9Bx2o

Again you said you did this with 2010 Mac Mini retail OS X 10.6.3 disc, so it makes sense they would have the drivers and software needed, everyone else here is wondering if you can just use a regular 10.6 disc or 10.6.3 retail disc to get the drivers working.

-iGrant

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Hey Guys

For those of us that don't have 2010 Mac Mini 10.6.3 retail discs, I think we can use our "old" 10.6.0 disc and then download this update from Apple to resolve our issues:

Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update Mac mini (Mid 2010)

I'm going to be testing this out when I get my Mac Mini Server next week.

-iGrant

No no. I don't think you can use a 10.6.0 disc. You can use 10.6.3, I can confirm that, but I doubt a 10.6.0 disc will work.

Unless you do all of it in Target Disk Mode, you aren't going to get a functioning machine. And by that I mean:

1. Install to the target volume (mounted with TDM)
2. Install the 10.6.4 update to the target volume

You will probably not be allowed to install the Mac Mini 2010 specific update, as you booted OS will likely say it isn't compatible with the computer. So you will have to do the vanilla 10.6.4, boot the Mini and then apply the custom update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.