Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casey2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
I bought the MiniServer for it's extra hardware, not as a server. The server desktop is fine, but the operating system has a lot I have no use for. Right now my new Client installation is several times smaller than the Server installation but I have not used the Application Disk yet. I primarily wanted to put BootCamp on here, and that is not available in the Server OS.

That left me with figuring out how to get Client on here to use for BootCamp. But now I am seriously considering completely removing the Server OS as I think the Client OS is more than sufficient for my use. I have no use for a server at all.

My Mini Client Computer has a 2.53 processor and I could not see going smaller or by the time you upgraded to the 2.66 and still didn't have the dual 7200 RPM 500 gigabyte harddisks, the Server just became the right choice, then figure out how to do what I have now accomplished. I am sure I can solve the driver problems in the XP BootCamp installation.

I just added my Panasonic 50 inch Plasma through HDMI and now have both displays. I will stream movies and Nascar onto the Panasonic from here. I was using the Server OS for that, now now don't need that.

vslo

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Any of you guys that installed the non-server snow leopard after the server snow leopard noticed any graphic improvements? I mean, one thing thjat is bothering me with this new mac mini server 2010 is that the dock gets sluggish sometimes, so I figured that the large number of processes could be the reason. So , you guys experienced any kind of improvements of this type ?
THank yoU!

Casey2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
So far the graphics seem fine here but I haven't done anything that would tax it yet. I do know that this installation is far faster loading and running than the Server. Maybe because of all the applications Server runs.

Any of you guys that installed the non-server snow leopard after the server snow leopard noticed any graphic improvements? I mean, one thing thjat is bothering me with this new mac mini server 2010 is that the dock gets sluggish sometimes, so I figured that the large number of processes could be the reason. So , you guys experienced any kind of improvements of this type ?
THank yoU!

vslo

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
So far the graphics seem fine here but I haven't done anything that would tax it yet. I do know that this installation is far faster loading and running than the Server. Maybe because of all the applications Server runs.

But are you running it @1080p ? And when you were using the server snow leopard, did you experienced any kind of slugishness at the dock or any other OS X graphic ?
I am suspicious about a thing too. The max frequency I can set is 60hz, but my samsung 2370 uses 67,5hz. Could it be causing the lag ?

vslo

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
I dont mean on bootcamp. I mean at the snow leopard. The dock is choppy sometimes. Kinda laggy.

Casey2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
Bootcamp installed XP Pro with no problem. My problem is Windows drivers for XP. I got some fixed but my main problem is finding a Broadcom 57765 driver that XP will install. Some are only the driver with no installer.

Also the Video driver is not right.

I was responding to Casey2.

analogkid

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Savannah
Can you use the have disk install method for the broadcom? Maybe use the Laptopvideo2go driver for the gpu? I'm using Windows 7 and had little trouble finding the drivers but XP may be a different story.

Casey2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
I'm not sure which disk you mean. Are you referring to the XP installation disk?

It's 10PM here so I need to get to bed. Thanks for any help.

Can you use the have disk install method for the broadcom? Maybe use the Laptopvideo2go driver for the gpu? I'm using Windows 7 and had little trouble finding the drivers but XP may be a different story.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
What types of monitors do you guys use with the Mac Mini? I'm thinking of getting the mini and get maybe a Cinema Display, but some people have said not to bother with an "overpriced Apple display", and rather get a monitor with better specs for less or the same amount of $.

As for OS X 10.6.3, as pictured earlier in the thread, I have that very disc. If anyone needs it, do let me know. We all own OS X licenses, yes? ;)

Also, from an installation standpoint, why bother with an external DVD drive? Wouldn't it be easier to just install OS X over a network?

analogkid

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Savannah
I'm not sure which disk you mean. Are you referring to the XP installation disk?

It's 10PM here so I need to get to bed. Thanks for any help.

This is from memory so I might confuse a step, but-

Go to device manager, select the ethernet controller, properties, driver, update driver, browse my computer, let me pick from a list, have disk, browse, then just point it to the folder your driver is in and it should install correctly.

Casey2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
Thanks, I did manage to get the ethernet going using the NetXtreme 1 download. The number they use for the ethernet adaptor is BCM5701.

Now that I am online and updated in this new BootCamp I can run a driver search and see if I can get the video running smooth. This installation is doing very well now except for apparently having the wrong video driver.

This is from memory so I might confuse a step, but-

Go to device manager, select the ethernet controller, properties, driver, update driver, browse my computer, let me pick from a list, have disk, browse, then just point it to the folder your driver is in and it should install correctly.

Casey2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
Success

I now have 2010 Mac Mini Server BootCamp Windows XP Pro operating 100% including the 320m video.

caliwolv

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Because they are making an uninformed decision.

Really?

MacMini (non-server)
-Change to 2.66Ghz CPU config
-Change to 4GB RAM config
-Change to 500GB HDD config
Total: $1049

MacMini Server
- Already has 2.66Ghz CPU
- Already has 4GB RAM
- Already has 500GB HDD
- Has an EXTRA 500GB HDD in place of seldom used optical drive
Total: $999

So I saved $50, and got an extra 500GB of space. I'm happy.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Really?

MacMini (non-server)
-Change to 2.66Ghz CPU config
-Change to 4GB RAM config
-Change to 500GB HDD config
Total: $1049

MacMini Server
- Already has 2.66Ghz CPU
- Already has 4GB RAM
- Already has 500GB HDD
- Has an EXTRA 500GB HDD in place of seldom used optical drive
Total: $999

So I saved $50, and got an extra 500GB of space. I'm happy.

You missed some context there. The uninformed decision he was talking about had nothing to do with the hardware. People buying the server machine and trying to install the client OS on it are the ones he said were making an uninformed decision.

vslo

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
You missed some context there. The uninformed decision he was talking about had nothing to do with the hardware. People buying the server machine and trying to install the client OS on it are the ones he said were making an uninformed decision.

Why its an uninformed decision ? The hardware is the same, whats the difference from a server mini and a normal mini , both running the non-server Snow Leopard? I guess there isn't, right?
I do understand that the superdrive is probably more expansive than a 500gb hard drive. Thats the 50 bucks difference.

caliwolv

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008

Even still, installing the client version is only a hassle until the full 10.6.4 Snow Leopard is available in store. It's less uninformed than it is impatient.

Casey2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
I have no reason to run 1080P but have set the resolution to 2048X1946 (I think it was 1946) but a card game way overscanned. Otherwise the picture was fine.

Yesterday I streamed the NASCAR race from the BrickYard and I used 1280X1024 at 75hz on the Samsung 940BX monitor and 720P on my Panasonic 50 inch Plasma. Both worked fine. I also tried 1080p and 1080i on the Panasonic (setting them in Mac) but saw no advantage to it as the set is 720p. Neverless the picture was fine at all settings. The picture being on a 3meg DSL was at least as good as it would have been on an analog TV. I am using a 33 foot HDMI cable and see no deterioration to the signal.

But are you running it @1080p ? And when you were using the server snow leopard, did you experienced any kind of slugishness at the dock or any other OS X graphic ?
I am suspicious about a thing too. The max frequency I can set is 60hz, but my samsung 2370 uses 67,5hz. Could it be causing the lag ?

Casey2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
Quote: "The uninformed decision he was talking about had nothing to do with the hardware. People buying the server machine and trying to install the client OS on it are the ones he said were making an uninformed decision."

I get a real kick out of that. Why should anyone care how I spend my money or time? I have a perfect running MacMiniServer with Server OS, SnowLeopard 10.6.4 and Windows XP Pro all working perfectly. And I had a great time with the challenge doing it.

I don't remember if I posted the instructions on this forum, but just in case here is what I did.

After the following I was able to find all drivers etc and all OS on the Server are now functioning perfectly.

---------------------------------

Re: Snow Leopard on Mac Mini Server
Posted: Jul 20, 2010 11:28 AM in response to: NevBull
Click to reply to this topic Reply email Email

I just proved to myself that this can be done using my MacMini Client and the 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD that came with it. I will attempt to make this clear. You must have access to a Mac Mini Client computer. Mine is a late 2009

1. Format an external USB Harddisk, (Mine is 80 gigabytes) to GUID Partition Table using Disk Utility in MacMini Client. This is found in Applications/Utilities on your Task Bar at the bottom of the screen.

2. Insert the Snow Leopard Install Disk that came with the Mac Mini Client. It will open and give you the choice to install it.

3. Install Snow Leopard to the USB Harddisk.

4. After installation is complete boot into the new installation of Snow Leopard on the USB Harddisk.

5. Use the Software Update in the fold down list from the Apple Icon in the upper left corner. It downloaded and installed 1.07 GB on the first time and then added two more small updates when run the 2nd time. One was for my Canon Printer so you may not have these.

6. Now either boot your Mac Mini Server into Server and chose the new Snow Leopard from System Preferences/Startup Disk. Or the split second you hear the chime on boot, immediately hold down the Alt key on a MS keyboard or it's equivilent on a Mac keyboard. Select the new Snow Leopard installation to boot from the choices it gives you.

7. That booted mine into a perfect installation of Snow Leopard except as has been said before there is no Ethernet or Card Reader driver.

OK, now for operation number two.

1. Open Disk Utility in the new Snow Leopard you just booted into.

2. Now in the left column highlight the new Snow Leopard.

3. You will see a list of four choices, the 4th one is Restore. Click that.

4. In the window that opens drag the highlighted new Snow Leopard into the Source box.

5. Drag the 2nd item of the 2nd Harddisk into Destination. Unless you changed the name it will read untitled. Leave the box below the Destination box checked. Click on Restore in the lower right corner.

Do not touch the one called Server HD! I do not think it would let you mess with it but don't take the chance. That is your Server Operating System.

6. Now sit back and wait about half an hour. (at least on mine)

I am now booted into the new Snow Leopard on the previously unused 500 gig harddisk on the Server.

Use BootCamp Assistant in the new Snow Leopard Client to install Windows in the normal fashion. You may then need some drivers as I did but some searching will find them.

Casey2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
Oops

Before the first step six you have to unplug the USB harddisk from the Client and plug it into the Server.

analogkid

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Savannah
I don't see the decision to grab the server uninformed either... it's more bang for your buck, but I also don't understand the need for Snow Leopard Client. I just installed iLife and downloaded Boot Camp and I was where I needed to be. My only complaint is that I couldn't install Windows 7 with a thumbdrive, but had to pick up a used MA Superdrive on ebay for $50. I like my machine now, one drive for OSX, one for windows... it runs my Steam games great and fits under my HD tv like it wasn't even there.

Casey2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
Looks like we both got where we wanted to be using different routes.

Snow Leopard Client just turned out to be the method that worked for me. But now that it is up and running I plan to reformat the 1st harddisk that has Server OS on it to Fat32 which can be used as a large storage disk that can be read by both SL Client and Win XP. I am very happy with having Client and XP now working.

If you want to have easy access to a limited Windows in addition to BootCamp one of the Virtual Machines will pick up BootCamp inside Snow Leopard but it will not function nearly as well as the full Windows install on BootCamp. I am using both VMWare on the Server OS on this machine and Parallel Desktop on my 2009 Mini Client. Both leave a lot to be desired whereas BootCamp is indistinguishable from a PC installation of XP.

I don't see the decision to grab the server uninformed either... it's more bang for your buck, but I also don't understand the need for Snow Leopard Client. I just installed iLife and downloaded Boot Camp and I was where I needed to be. My only complaint is that I couldn't install Windows 7 with a thumbdrive, but had to pick up a used MA Superdrive on ebay for $50. I like my machine now, one drive for OSX, one for windows... it runs my Steam games great and fits under my HD tv like it wasn't even there.

holg

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
OSX wont work on Mini Server...

thank you casey2!

just wanted to do the same thing on my server.. apple told me to wait for the hardcopy update of the OSX version on 10.6.4 in the store...

now ill try it your way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.