Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blink487

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Hi folks, I'm looking at a mac mini server edish, and I was wondering if anyone had luck getting a 1TB 12.5mm (taller than the standard 9.5mm drive) into either of the HD bays. Would appreciate the info : )

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
There was a teardown published when the latest model came out and I'm pretty sure they said you could only fir the 9.5mm drive in there. Which means for now the max capacity you can get in the slot is 750GB.

MyMac8MyPC

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
I have one of these thicker drives in my older mini. In a few weeks I think I'm going to be buying a new mini. From the teardown pictures that I saw the thicker drives should fit. I'll be the first to let you know :p

MagentaLoyal

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
USA, Midwest
I replaced the main (lower) internal drive of my "Macmini2,1" with a 500 Gig Western Digital drive. Since my Optical drive had crapped out, and I had already replaced it with an external Pioneer DVD drive, I considered purchasing the adapter shown here:
http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/12-7-mm-Optical-Bay-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/IF107-079

In the end, I decided against it, and used an external drive case I already had lying around.

What I would like to know (for future reference) is...
Has anybody replaced the optical drive with a 9.5 or 12.5 mm tall HDD and _NOT_ had to use the above mentioned adaptor?

How did it work?
Was yours a good or bad experience?
Any not-so-obvious things to look out for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.