Mac Mini Server with OS X Client?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by PenguinMac, Jun 15, 2010.

1. PenguinMac macrumors member

I want the Mac Mini server hardware, but then want to install normal OS X client on it using an external DVD drive. I'd then run the double 500GB drives in software RAID 0 - as it's an HTPC, everything on it would be a duplicate from my regular PC, so drive failure (if it occurs) is not a problem.

My only concerns are: can I do this with OS X client (perhaps with Plexus), and would there be a problem with heat & fan noise from 2 drives in what should be a quiet HTPC? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

2. belvdr macrumors 603

I have the 2009 Mini server and noise is not an issue. You should also not have an issue with running OS X on it.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can use Plex in OS X Server too, it should work fine. Normal OS X should also install without issues

4. PenguinMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply - that's the answer I was hoping for!

5. iBunny macrumors 65816

How would you install regular OSX Client on the Mini Server?

Every mac that I have owned if I dont installed OSX from the "CD" that shipped with that Mac it does not work, unless I go newer.

I have a 10.6 DVD here, but it came out a while ago.... I dont think that it would install on the new Mini Server....

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If your 10.6 disk is retail version, it should work fine. Only issue is that 320M came after 10.6 so there MIGHT be issues but it's worth it to give a try

7. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

You could install 10.6 on a partition/drive on another system, upgrade it to 10.6.4, then use disk utility to restore it to the new Mini's internal drive.

8. sdv5 macrumors member

Boot from external DVD drive

Can Mac Mini boot from external USB drive for clean client OS installation?

To install client OS on new Mac Mini server, would one need to buy full installation DVD or would upgrade DVD also work?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, Mini can boot from external HD.

Upgrade DVD is fine

10. belvdr macrumors 603

How do you know if the ugprade DVD will work? If the new Mac Mini requires 10.6.1 or later, then the 10.6 DVD may not work.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hmmm, good point, I don't know actually :D Only difference is 320M though so it could work, idk. I was thinking about upgrade DVD, as it works for clean install too

12. sdv5 macrumors member

Thank you. Just to clarify, can Mini boot from external USB DVD drive if a bootable disc is in the drive?

13. PenguinMac thread starter macrumors member

Mini can boot from external USB DVD. I've ordered a $50 Samsung external DVD in white from Amazon for this purpose. And retail Snow Leopard DVD is 10.6.3 in Apple Store, which supports the 320M graphics on the MacBook so should work for the Mini.

14. screen macrumors newbie

Verified

Just wanted to report that I just successfully installed 10.6.3 client on the new 2010 Mini Server and migrated my settings over from my old mac mini. Booting the original Snow Leopard 10.6 DVD image just crashes with the new hardware but it worked with a 10.6.3 DVD image booted from a disk or thumb drive.

15. belltree macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. Many people will want to know about this as the MacMini Colo guys said it was possible. I guess then I need to get the 10.6.3/10.6.4 DVD image somehow as I only have 10.6 from my Mini. I wish there was some way to slipstream the updates to recreate a 10.6.4 install disc.

16. iPhobic macrumors newbie

Good news! So, did you do some sort of disk partition? Did you wipe out SLS by installing the OSX client? Would you mind elaborating a little bit further on how you did it? I'm a newbie when it comes to Mac stuff, and the Mini server looks quite appealing.

Thanks in advance.

17. Hotman2009 macrumors newbie

Hey iPhobic. So i notice you were looking for some info on how to install OS X client on the server machine. Its defiantly not the easiest but i believe i have just successfully done it. I have been reading and posting on Apples Forums. Here is the link to the post. Read thought the entire post before you try anything. It is not as simple as it seems and i tried to document what i did and how i did it. So check it out if you wanna give it a try.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2465599&tstart=0

-Andrew

18. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

hi Dudes,

I have posted on multiple threads on the same topic.

Yes, you can install 10.6.3 Disc from (regular Mac Mini 2010) without a hitch, there is no mystery or any hacks required. I even created a RAID0 setup before the install and installed the apps disc after as well.

So as I mentioned, the easiest method, get a 10.6.3 disc from a friend who owns a regular mini or connections at the apple store.

19. iPhobic macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, Andrew. I read the article and it made sense. I'm new to Macs but not to PCs. However, I've been reading some post stating that the server version will run as well as the client's for general purposes. I'm not a gamer either, so a fast GPU and lots of RAM won't be necessary, but two 500GB 7.2K drives is what I'm looking for (and I already have an external DVD burner). The server won't have the iLife program, but that's not important to me.

I have a $300 rebate from Amazon and am getting the server version since it makes perfect sense.

20. pooryou macrumors 65816

What is the reason not to just leave OSX Server on? Isn't it pretty much the same just with some extra features that you don't have to use?

21. ATHmathieu macrumors regular

What's the point of RAID 0 if it's only a software RAID because the Mini has no hardware based RAID controller?

22. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

here is a link I found, note: these are numbers from the 2009 model, but you get the idea, also, considering the regular mac mini is 5400rpm and the server is dual 7200s with a 300 dolllar difference, and other upgraded specs it was a no brainer for me.

[​IMG]

full link here:
    http://mac-fusion.com/401/mac_mini_server_raid_0_vs_raid_1_vs_other_macs/

23. MyNamesNotBob macrumors newbie

I thought the Server version was slower, I wanted to get the server and stick the client on it, but if there are no performance issues and I just need iLife then perfect...

24. screen macrumors newbie

Glad my confirmation helped. I had to borrow a 10.6.3 DVD from a friend to make the bootable thumb drive. I was also wishing for a way to roll my own from the original 10.6 DVD and the combo update but that is asking for a lot.

I was upgrading from a 2007 mini which was already running client. Since server has no migration assistant and it's not possible to do a time machine restore to a different hardware architecture, upgrading was the only way to easily transfer all my apps, settings and accounts. There's really nothing in server I can't run in client if I needed or wanted to via macports.

25. pmcdunnough macrumors member

Did you use a 10.6.3 DVD from the new Mac Mini? I can't see how you will get the drivers for everything (SD, network) unless you use a DVD specific to the new Mini ( or somehow use the SLS drivers). I assume when a newer retail SL disk comes out that will work.

Sorry to bother you, but what exactly did you use? I am upgrading from a 2009 Mini and I would like to migrate stuff! I also don't need a server....

philip