Mac Mini Should I Wait?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by WonderMonkey, Feb 24, 2011.

  1. WonderMonkey macrumors newbie

    Feb 24, 2011
    I desperately want to get a Mac mini and create a home entertainment center but have been waiting for potential upgrades. I was finally ready to pull the trigger when today the macbook received its refresh.

    Am i being over cautious by waiting or should i take the plunge?

    I know any advice will be pure speculation but I sure could use the advice.

    Thanks in advance!!
  2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

    Nov 2, 2010
    I would wait if you can. Last year's update was a redesign and performance didn't change that much compared with the late 09 Mini. This year's update should provide a good performance boost. If intending to do stuff like watch live HD sport using EyeTV this should prove useful. Hopefully with the 2011 Mini you'll be able to watch HD sport with the best deinterlacing method (can't remember what it's called atm), but we'll have to wait and see.

    The likely introduction of Thunderbolt to the Mac Mini is also a good reason to wait.
  3. chile7236 macrumors newbie

    Feb 7, 2011
    i had thought about this after buying my mbp at the beginning of the month :eek:...then again, as a basic user of both my mbp and new mac mini (got rid of my 08 imac), i am happy with the purchases of both. the only thing i was really looking for on the mini was an hdmi port, and voila, it is there. now, i just gotta upgrade the RAM in it...
  4. mdgm macrumors 6502a

    Nov 2, 2010
    I do agree that the Minis are great, I have two of them. It's a great machine, but I do think that the benefits of the 2011 Mini should be worth waiting for, if you can. If you can't wait go ahead and buy a Mini. Bear in mind that the hard drive in the 2010 is very difficult to upgrade (hard drive in the 09 was easier to upgrade).
  5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000


    May 22, 2009
    Yes wait! What is in the 13in MBP will most likely be in the Mac Mini.
  6. Newfiebill macrumors regular


    Jan 6, 2011
    I would Wait

    It is my opinion that you should wait for a few weeks, the intel "i" processors should come with the new upgrade in addition to better graphics, ThunderBolt port and SS Drives. When you buy one of these don't cheep out, get a loaded one which you will enjoy for years to come.
  7. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

    Feb 4, 2008
    One more reason to wait (if you can): if the new Mini comes out and the new features don't impress you, you can then buy the 2010 model at a discount.

    That's what I did when the 2009 MacPro came out; there were a number of things that didn't add up (for me), particularly the increased price, so I bought the 2008 model.
  8. cooljoe349 macrumors regular


    Oct 7, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
  9. WGoins88 macrumors regular

    Feb 8, 2011
    I am going to hold out as well... I intend on buying a Mini because I am getting angered that I can't do certain things on my G4 MDD (Doesn't mean it's not staying on my desk! To me it's still aesthetically pleasing). I just don't want to buy one and spend $700 only find out a new one debuts later this year.

    This would actually be my first new Mac.... every Mac I've ever had was used.
  10. WonderMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 24, 2011
    Many Thanks

    What a great forum!!!

    Thank you for the great posts. It's exactly what I was thinking but was getting a serious itch. Better to deal for now and upgrade when the time is truly right.

    Thanks for talking me off the ledge.
  11. Annerz macrumors regular

    Feb 15, 2011
    New Jersey
  12. Rapscallion macrumors regular

    Sep 28, 2010
    Last years mini and mac pro 13" base were both about the same specs, so imagine what a new 2011 mini might be like if this is the same line apple takes.
  13. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 30, 2010
    North Yorkshire, UK
    The 2011 Mini will (imo) be basically a desktop version of the 13" MBP.
  14. slipper macrumors 68000


    Nov 19, 2003
    Wait if you can. However it may be several months until a Mac Mini refresh.
  15. player2 macrumors member

    Jul 12, 2008
    What is the normal "refresh" time for Minis?

    Has it been once a year? Or nothing that scheduled
  16. Tunster macrumors 6502

    Nov 28, 2009
    The current version came out 15th June last year. We may hear some info at the next Mac event or wait nearer end of April to see what happens.
  17. player2 macrumors member

    Jul 12, 2008
    What was the time between the '09 mini update and the June 2010 update?
  18. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

    Oct 16, 2009
    The mac mini wikipedia page has all the info you need.
  19. panzer06 macrumors 68030


    Sep 23, 2006
    Ok, that sounds like logical thinking; however, do we want the Intel GPU that comes with the 13" MBP? It may not matter but should be considered as part of buy now vs wait discussion.

  20. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 7, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Agreed. Last year when they upgraded the Mini I was very unimpressed so I built a desktop Windows machine. I just couldn't get my mind around the fact (granted it was $1,600) that my MBP Early 2008 outperformed the 2010 Mini. It may be double the price but two years is a very long time for technology.

    I hope to be purchasing a Mini at the next update. I am still itching to have a Mac desktop for storage of all my content (photos/music/movies). I currently use the Windows 7 desktop, it works but it's not OS X.
  21. flopticalcube macrumors G4


    Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    The Intel GPU benches about 20% faster than the old 320m in the current mini. Real world results may differ.
  22. KGB macrumors newbie

    Apr 24, 2008
    Definitely wait. The i3/i5 will be just the bump needed to really cut through 1080p mkv's like butter.

    The core duo mac-mini's struggled with 1080p, the core 2 duo mac-minis handle 1080p well enough, but the intel i3/i5 is a proc that will truly leave you with an HTPC that can handle 1080p without breaking a sweat.
  23. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

    Feb 8, 2006
  24. philipma1957 macrumors 603


    Apr 13, 2010
    Howell, New Jersey
    look at 2009 macmini scores

    Mac mini (Early 2009)
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz (2 cores) 3534

    Mac mini (Early 2009)
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8800 2.66 GHz (2 cores) 3724

    now look at 2010 mac mini scores

    Mac mini (Early 2010)
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4 GHz (2 cores) 3336

    Mac mini (Early 2010)
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8800 2.66 GHz (2 cores) 3650

    these are pulled from this link

    Now all hopes are that the 2011 mac mini will mirror the 2011 macbook pro 2011 scores the link above has scores up to oct 2010 but there are some 2011 macbook pro scores on the site.,1

    they range from 5400 to 7617

    now they are not averaged but they are so much faster then the current mac minis it is amazing. no one has tested a t-bolt raid0 ssd from lacie as a boot drive if possible you may get scores up to 8000. so waiting for the new mini is pretty much a no brainer.
  25. flopticalcube macrumors G4


    Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    Yes. Even notebookcheck shows a big difference in some games vs others. Probably down to how much the CPU is needed. Some games also see a large drop from low to med settings making a smooth game unplayable. Looks like the older 320m is the better gamer at the moment.

Share This Page