Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfnode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am a seasoned Apple User and my last and current Mac is a Macbook Pro 2.5ghz Core 2 Duo - late 2008.

I have done quite well not getting anything since then.

I would like to get a Mac Mini to keep costs down.

Would a Core i5 be decent enough for web design/photoshop and electronic music production in Logic Studio?

Don't play many games on Mac (got xbox for that and iOS!)

My wife can get educational discount so can get good deal on the i5 model.

Or do I wait for the Mac Mini refresh and hope that when the Haswell models come out that the i5 base model will be replaced by the i7 but at the same price of what the i5 model is currently?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice:

Since you have a "working Mac" now (the MBP), continue to wait until the next-generation Mini gets released. Some are speculating late October, but I sense that Apple wants to hold off on the Mini so as not to tarnish the rollout of the new MacPro later this year. I wouldn't expect to see a new Mini until at least January 2014. But I could be wrong.

Also...
Don't scrimp on the CPU. Pay more and get the i7 -- two years from now, you'll be glad you did. Remember that the CPU is the _only thing_ inside (well, graphics included) that you can't replace later on. You can add a drive, add RAM, but you've got to "live with the CPU you buy" until you retire the computer.

I'd also keep using the MBP as long as you can, it will complement the Mini well. You might consider putting an SSD into the MacBook, it will run like a new machine (or at least feel that way)!

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
... I wouldn't expect to see a new Mini until at least January 2014. But I could be wrong.

Also...
Don't scrimp on the CPU. Pay more and get the i7 -- two years from now, you'll be glad you did.

Unfortunately, there isn't any mobile i7 Haswell processor (Dual or Quad Core) + Iris Pro 5200 graphics combination because of max TDP 45w case limit...

I don't think APPLE will update MacBook Pro and Mac Mini in early 2014. They will silently update them in late Oct.2013.

Let's see...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.