Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
I would love this but I just cant see it happening. Why not have already done this on the Pros allowing tri-monitor setups when you get home or to work?

because the integrated chipset has two outputs. On laptops, one drives the built in LCD, leaving one to drive and external display. When they made the mini, they stuck to the DVI format and just one display to keep it different. They didn't update later because they were still using big DVI ports. When they updated the mini to intel, the macbook with the smaller ports wasn't widely available yet. With no form changes, the newer mini-dvi and mini-dp both fit in the same size hole as a full size DVI port.

Because of the built-in DRM on mDP Apple has to have an option for third party monitors or you can't watch iTunes. Also, they already have established macbook dongles for analog video, VGA, and DVI out that plenty of people use to hook to TVs and other monitors. But the preferred method will be to bundle (for about the same price as an iMac!) the new LCD for 1-wire setup (assuming you buy BT kbd and mouse) Because of the constraints on the mini-DVI port, enabling dual monitors won't conflict with the Pro machines in any way because the second monitor can't ever be "full" size, and won't conflict with iMacs because of the LCD monitor prices.

I think Firewire is out, to be like the Macbook, it's a trend. But there might be a hack if the optical drive is SATA to get an extra drive port. Maybe we'll get a NAS for time capsule or they'll integrate that into the mac-mini so it doubles as a server or something.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
because the integrated chipset has two outputs. On laptops, one drives the built in LCD, leaving one to drive and external display. When they made the mini, they stuck to the DVI format and just one display to keep it different. They didn't update later because they were still using big DVI ports. When they updated the mini to intel, the macbook with the smaller ports wasn't widely available yet. With no form changes, the newer mini-dvi and mini-dp both fit in the same size hole as a full size DVI port.

*slaps forehead* Off course! Wow, that really does sound promising for the mini-revamp.

juststranded

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2006
I do wish that Apple would put out some sh*ttier displays simply because of the Mac Mini. I can see Apple expecting Mac Pro buyers to go for the Cinema Displays, but there's no way they expect a Mac Mini buyer to get a cinema display. How about a couple of 18-24" normal people displays haha. If you get a mac, you want it all apple. I'm just saying it'd be nice.

If they really push Mini sales, they could benefit from lower-end displays, otherwise there's not enough market. Yet.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Ignoring the fine print on the spec sheet (which isn't there funnily enough), there's a lot of screens I can compare the acd to.
There was lots of talk and assumptions (mainly on price...) here about what sort of panel the screen had for a fair while after release - It's not worth the premium to me.

I'm completely baffled why there's no mini-dp>hdmi adapter currently. There's serious profit in (apple) cables and adapters, and if it's such an open spec, where are all the 3rd party alternatives?

I'm not forking out for the mini unless it's released at a sensible price, and I'm sure I can get hd sound from it.

If you get a mac, you want it all apple. I'm just saying it'd be nice.

I don't, I want quality and value for money. I also prefer the minimalist look of the (square) dells :)

thoshino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
The 24" LED Cinema Display is around $400 less than any other comparable display on the market.

So just buy a next-gen Mac Mini with the money you save NOT buying third-party.

It all really depends on by which standard monitors are compared. For instance one could use some subjective measurement of "quality", or one could say that all S-PVA matrix monitors could be considered comparable or... (and I'm not saying this works for everyone) ... all 24" monitors could be considered equal (in the sense that they in fact are of comparable size).

I'm, not attempting to be a troll, going to go out on a limb here and propose that even amongst "power users" most can't/won't really see the difference between 74%, 93%, 97% or 104% of NTSC. That in fact the initial setup might be just as important. That most people rarely use their monitors at acute angles (yes I've heard of "...can't view TN from above/below...") And frankly that a good deal of complaints about monitors comes from people spending to much time reading the specs.

For instance if the FujitsuSiemens L24W-2 is anything like the L22W, you can get 2 useable (did not say fantastic) monitors and half of a Mac Mini for the price of a ADC 24".

I'll probably get the ADC 24" and a Mac Pro (or my third mini, PPC 1,33 and CD 1,66) within the next 12 months. Still I think it's worth to ask if those of us who are not professional post-production artists, photographers etc. aren't suffering from some kind of complex.

hiimamac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Boston
As I already said, this goes against BYODKM, as it forces EVERY switcher to buy at least ONE adapter to use ANY display they might have.

The MINI will have NO firewire.

Sales for present macbooks are down as well.

Unbelievable that there is a story on white covered banners. Yeah, and?
Geesh, to much time on your hands or what! C'mond guys, really? Especially that Apple pulls out of Macworld which is a slap on all the giddy Jobs can do no wrong fans.

Again, Apple sticks it to us, no firewire.

USB requires CPU overhead, thinking otherwise shows there is no understanding of how much better firewire, daisy chaining, is vs. USB.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
The MINI will have NO firewire.

Sales for present macbooks are down as well.

Unbelievable that there is a story on white covered banners. Yeah, and?
Geesh, to much time on your hands or what! C'mond guys, really? Especially that Apple pulls out of Macworld which is a slap on all the giddy Jobs can do no wrong fans.

Again, Apple sticks it to us, no firewire.

USB requires CPU overhead, thinking otherwise shows there is no understanding of how much better firewire, daisy chaining, is vs. USB.

I find the lack of firewire especially ironic given how Apple didn't want to adopt USB 2.0 when it first came out. My PowerMac had Firewire 400 but only USB 1.x. I had to add a USB 2.0 PCI card to use my iPod Touch with it. I guess what Steve giveth, Steve taketh away. :confused:

I just bought a Western Digital Passport Studio 500GB drive for my September Era MBP (the one that has 2 Firewire ports and a matte screen). It has Firewire 400, 800 and USB 2.0 interfaces and all included cables to connect it. Ironically, it's faster transferring to my old PowerMac via Firewire 400 than a brand new Macbook using USB 2.0. It's faster than my MBP's internal drive using the FW 800 interface.

hipsheik

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
It all really depends on by which standard monitors are compared. For instance one could use some subjective measurement of "quality", or one could say that all S-PVA matrix monitors could be considered comparable or... (and I'm not saying this works for everyone) ... all 24" monitors could be considered equal (in the sense that they in fact are of comparable size).

I'm, not attempting to be a troll, going to go out on a limb here and propose that even amongst "power users" most can't/won't really see the difference between 74%, 93%, 97% or 104% of NTSC.

He's talking about IPS LED. That's what's comparable. And he's right, the new Apple display is priced less.

The other panels you bring up are not comparable in this sense (panel type), even if some people cannot tell the difference. People are just mouthing off because it's from Apple and so it has to be overpriced. Which in this case it isn't.

sighlent

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
He's talking about IPS LED. That's what's comparable. And he's right, the new Apple display is priced less.

The other panels you bring up are not comparable in this sense (panel type), even if some people cannot tell the difference. People are just mouthing off because it's from Apple and so it has to be overpriced. Which in this case it isn't.

Do we know for certain the LED ACD uses and IPS panel? I haven't read anything confirming it one way or another yet.

newamiga

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2001
HDMI of great use on Mini for Home Theater

Because, as has been said many times already, HDMI (type A) used on almost every consumer device does not support dual-link resolutions and is pointless on a computer.

I think HDMI on the Mini would be awesome. I currently use a Mac Mini as a HTPC to drive a 12 foot wide anamorphic projection setup with an Epson 1080UB projector. It works well but it is kind of a pain to have a DVI to HDMI cable and a separate optical audio cable to drive the whole system. I would love to have the HDMI port to use instead. I am really hoping that they do that. The reviews I have read about the current adaptors for the video port on the Macbooks doesn't look really promising for use in a theater setting.

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
Which are you thinking of? I recall it being included with the Mac and Mac Plus etc. - sorta portable desktop classic macs along with the iconic mouse. One came with my $3,800 (in early 90's dollars) IIsi. A KB came with the later LC and the quadras. Was is extra with something like the $10,000+ IIfx?

The keyboard has always been included.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Instead of adapters I wish they would make cables with, for example, mini-dvi on one end and "normal" dvi or hdmi on the other end.

I haven't had a good look at the mini-displayport adapters but my mini-dvi to dvi adapter that I use to run my blackbook in clamshell mode is constantly getting jostled and will occasionally get pulled away from the laptop. Due mostly to the big size of the two DVI connectors hanging of the left side of the laptop.

If monoprice.com can have 3" adapters made, why not 6' or 2m? Maybe mini-displayport on one end and a male hdmi connector on the other?

BrittQ

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
If the new mini has mini displayport and mini dvi, which would give better quality when connecting to a HDTV - Mini Displayport to HDMI or Mini dvi to HDMI? Or would there be no difference?

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
There'll be no difference.

As far I can see, neither will provide sound, so you're limited to a standard stereo jack/optical on a separate lead and no hd sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.