MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AppleInsider reports that the rumored upcoming revision to the Mac mini will bring support for dual displays via one Mini DisplayPort connector and one Mini DVI connector. Apple's low-cost desktop computer has featured only a single DVI connector since its introduction in January 2005.

Evidence recently discovered in OS X configuration files points to the adoption of NVIDIA's MCP79 chipset in the forthcoming Mac mini and iMac revisions. The current models of the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air already utilize the chipset, which offers a substantial increase in graphics performance over the Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics found in the now-dated Mac mini.

The report also casts doubt on recent rumors that the Mac mini will see a shift to a black plastic and aluminum enclosure, which would bring its appearance more in line with that of Apple's iMac and notebook models.

Article Link: Mac Mini to Gain Support for Dual Displays?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
This is something I could get into....but why Mini DVI?

Give me DVI and Mini Display Port

Its a win-win, Apple get to push Mini Display Port onto people, while still supporting older ACD and 3rd party displays.

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
As I already said, this goes against BYODKM, as it forces EVERY switcher to buy at least ONE adapter to use ANY display they might have.

It'll definitely come with an adapter.

The laptops are different - you don't need an adapter to use the Mac, it comes with a display! The Mac Mini needs an adapter if people are to use existing displays with it.

It will come with one. Definitely.

Comment

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
As I already said, this goes against BYODKM, as it forces EVERY switcher to buy at least ONE adapter to use ANY display they might have.

Unless it comes with an adapter. I haven't bought a new Mac since my G4 MDD, but it came with an adapter. Then again, back when my G4 MDD was new, it was more in line with Apple's Pro line of computers.

As long as I can get this Mini hooked up to my TV via it's HDMI input, I'll be peachy.

Comment

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007

The laptops are different - you don't need an adapter to use the Mac, it comes with a display! The Mac Mini needs an adapter if people are to use existing displays with it.

Here's hoping! It's not definite until someone opens the first box.

Comment

Doodledoo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
This makes no sense. Apple has already said they're switching to DisplayPort for their future products.

This sounds to me like some guy saw an early prototype a few months ago before the new MacBooks - interim enclosures and preliminary port setups. This would also explain why the article claims it won't have a black/aluminium exterior. I call bull.

Comment

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C

Sure hope its small(ideally smaller then the current)....I wouldn't love a huge thing dangling out the back of my Mac Mini

Comment

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA

I loved the old days when Apple included everything. Now they don't include anything so you have pay for all extras.

Comment

williedigital

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2005
interesting

I imagine the reason they don't go with full dvi is cost or space. It's going to be crowded on the back of that thing. I wonder if the mac mini will support dual 30"...

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Sure hope its small(ideally smaller then the current)....I wouldn't love a huge thing dangling out the back of my Mac Mini

Current one isn't that big - and I doubt they'd make a smaller one since they have so many for the new MacBooks.

Plus, you aren't going to see it since it's behind the Mac Mini, and monitor cables are bulky anyway.

Comment

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
great news, but at least one mini DVI to DVI adapter better be included in the package.

(edit: while the above is still true, I just realized that I have one mini DVI to DVI and one VGA adapter that came with my MBA!)

The foot print of Mac Mini could be the same than MBA's SuperDrive. It wouldn't be too bad if they dropped the optical drive from Mini to make it cheaper.

Comment

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I actually think, from a marketing perspective, 2 display ports is a brilliant move ... if true.

Apple is offering a reasonably affordable starter system that will connect to your existing BYODKM - albeit with a display adapter that I'll wager will be dirt cheap if bought with the Mini. Now you have a clear upgrade path to justify the purchase and the switch.
1) When you can afford it you trade in your existing monitor for the new Apple one (no adapter needed since the Mini has the mini DP).
2) Then, when you decide you need/can afford an Apple notebook, you already own a 2nd display that will work with it. Makes it "seem" cheaper to buy since you can use it with a 2nd display with no extra purchase. You may not ever do it, but it feels "cool" to be able to.
3) The mini gets retired as a media server or something similar.

In other words the new Mini will sell more Apple displays and notebooks because you can add the pieces incrementally.

Just my 2 cents worth....

I'm curious to see just what will be introduced though!

Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Isn't some company coming out ( or is it already out ) with a mini-display port to HDMI connector ?. One that preserves the *cough* HDCP *cough* compliance ?

Seems to me Apple wants folks to be able to connect this thing to either their HDMI TV and/or the new cinema display.

[edit] found it here

[/edit]

Comment

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
there is always a chance that it would come with the adapters, though i doubt they will. but i guess it would be nice to hook up 2 displays to a mini

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.