Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dixie8123

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Charleston, SC
Hello All,

I have just started using very powerful architect software and my 13" MBP 2010 does not have the power for it! I am trying to decide if I want to upgrade my MBP to the max RAM, etc. or just buy a Mac Mini and upgrade it to 8GB RAM. Can somebody help? Thanks!

----------

PS: I already have a 23" monitor and Apple Trackpad/Keyboard

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Are you sure it's ram the software needs? It could be graphics or CPU limitations as well in which case the particular solution you choose would differ.

Its the same memory in all these machines so if it's only memory you need obviously upgrading your MBP is the cheapest solution. The higher end desktop mini offers a good graphics card and the server mini offers a quad core CPU so it just depends on your need. All of the minis are upgradable to 8or 16gb or ram.

A larger MBP or iMac are your only choices if you need both more graphics and CPU.

Hope this helps.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
it is easy to see if ram is your problem and free. look at this thumbnail. I clicked apps I pulled up activity monitor and set it to system memory. I have no page outs and I have about 6 gb ram free. if you have many page outs and 10 or 30mb not gb ram free . boosting your ram to 8gb may work. boosting your machine to 8gb is low cost. Since I do not know your software and what it uses I can only show you to how to see if you are maxing your ram.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-25 at 12.00.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-12-25 at 12.00.08 PM.png
    455.9 KB · Views: 100
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.