Mac MMOs with or without a monthly fee

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ScottC2105, Jun 8, 2007.

1. ScottC2105 macrumors member

I played WoW on my PC for a few months and got bored of it at level 60/61 and I am now deciding to switch to a Mac with new iMacs due anytime soon but I cannot seem to find any major Mac MMOs.

The ones I have found are:

As I have said, WoW I played and got tired of it. Everquest is a fairly old game and with the Mac Edition only being able to work with other Mac players I have a feeling not many people will play it and EVE Online isn't "my cup of tea".

The type of MMO I like is WoW/Runescape/Anarchy Online. I don't mind paying upto $15/£8.99 a month to play an MMO so if anyone has any suggestions, please, fire them my way!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Disney has Toon Town... but something tells me you don't want to play that. :p

3. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

There is a reason people, even the Apple advocates, say that OSX isn't a gaming platform :)
    Which is not to say, as you pointed out, that there are no games, or no good games. We get a number of the major titles, but you get into trouble when you start getting picky about what exactly you want to play ;-)
    I'd suggest setting up bootcamp and acquiring an XP Install and just playing games that way if you're seriously interested.

It's not like a 1 minute restart is going to take away from a productive day when you're gonna sit down and sink a few hours into an MMO ;-)

4. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

I don't want a Mac to game I just wouldn't mind playing the odd MMO. I guess I could try WoW again...

5. Leej macrumors member

6. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

Great thanks! If there are anymore, please, post them :).

7. jabberwocky macrumors newbie

I've just recently stumbled upon Dofus (www.dofus.com) which is a free flash-based MMORPG that works _great_ in adobe's standalone flashplayer.

I really like the artwork and the combat is turn based like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Highly recommend it.

8. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

9. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

I say it over and over here - why not use Crossover?

I play Planetside, EVE Online, etc etc. on my Mac without Windows.

10. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

11. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

Yes there is. It was confirmed back in march I believe and I think their doing it with Cider.

12. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

It isn't native and I guess it will have bad performance.

13. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Then there will be no PPC version.. too bad for me.

14. IBobby macrumors regular

IBobby

I use crossover and play my favorite game in the world, Rose online Great MMORPG, I am a lvl55 Muse and its a great game. Plays better on the mac then a windows machine. :D. The site is Roseonline.ph

15. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i'll second that. been playing dofus for over a year. love it. p2p is only about $7 a month, too. good times.

IGN's: lumbro, grumpy-lumpy

16. TheAdmiral macrumors newbie

Rose Online

How do you get Rose to work? I played rose when it was a Beta(on my Pc)
    Now I have a mac and i cant get crossover to open Rose. It just stays on the "PLAY ROSE" screen

17. Leathlord macrumors newbie

World War II Online works for Mac but bewarned due to poor coding you'll get 5-50 fps depending on your machine on the Windows version I get 50-200 FPS. It's a very fun realistic game where you fight on 1 map thats 1/4 the size of europe with towns and brigades with supply.

18. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

it keeps telling me there's something wrong ith my security settings, how do I change them?

19. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Dofus has been getting some press lately, it seem to have a very active fanbase as well.

20. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

I don't think any other online RPGs can really stack up to WoW.

However, I'd like to try Uru Online, which is apparently available for Intel Macs. Unfortunately, the stupid website won't let me sign up because it doesn't like my Japanese IP address.

21. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Back at the time when I bought Uru, I was thrilled by the possibility of it going online. Unfortunately, it never happend for us Mac users, until some time ago. Too bad it doesn't work on PowerPC though...

22. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I tend to disagree, IMHO I think WoW has kind of lost the plot. The gameplay in essence is all the same (e.g. kill 10 of these to finish a quest, can do much at higher levels with epics, etc..) and WoW is getting very very very boring, that's why I've stopped playing.

WoW has impacted the gaming community in a very positive way but I really do think they haven't added anything new despite the adding BC and having a new expansion coming out soon. It's still all the same despite a few new graphics tweaks.

23. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

I'm not a big wow supporter - personally the out of scale toony graphics, and easy game play get boring too quickly.

I would recommend FFXI online, although you'd have to use bootcamp and play it in windows. It's an old game and has its share of faults as well (notably the interface takes some getting use to) but the party dynamics / game play are far superior to anything else I've seen. If you have a friend its might be best to start out with them. Also it's worth noting that the endgame of ffxi puts a lot of others to shame - in some ways the game just begins at lvl75.

-Cheers

24. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

I have to admit, EVE Online is the best online MMO game I have ever played. I played WoW for 2 years, even downed C'Thun back in the day of 60s, but it couldn't stand up to EVE. Even though EVE was the best MMO I have played, it still has its problems, though... first off, the skill training is based on time ONLY. This means your character has to have high perception starting off, so only one race (Amarr) is a good choice. Gallente, I think it was called, is a second. Also, there are no universal banks, so everything has to be moved with trips back and forth in ships, 90% of the time you are required to travel through extremely dangerous space (meaning you are required to have quick jumps, you'll learn what they are if you play). The last thing I didn't like about it is what happens if you lose your ship. If you insure your ship, you get a measly amount of the money back (about 10%-75% of the ship cost back) when it explodes, but you lose half of the items immediatly (they go "poof") and the other half are up for grabs for whoever gets to the ship first.

Every game has its flaws, then again it has been three years since I played this game (I played beta to about a year into it), so some of these might be fixed (most of these had a universal hate). There are a lot of good things about the game, though, that distinguish it from other MMOs. The player base is highly mature, to the point where there are nearly no kids under 18. The coolest thing, other than the awe of being able to do anything other than leave your ship, to me was seeing how there isn't just a "good" and "bad". There are people who are pirates, people who are parts of huge corporations-- sometimes up to a thousand people, hired mercenaries, miners, etc. You could be at war with anyone, being as cruel or as honorary as you want. There were no limits.

If you do want to try an MMO, I would really recommend at least playing the 14 day trial for EVE. IF you don't like it, WoW will probably suit you.