Mac newbie questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by None Such, Aug 11, 2007.

1. None Such macrumors 6502

I just got my MBP yesterday, it's my first Mac. But a few things are annoying me, that I can't seem to figure out. And it's annoying because these things have to be easy, I'm just not seeing how to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1. How do I see what version of OSX, and other settings I have.

2. How do I maximize a window in Firefox or Safari and get it to fill up the screen? I hit the green button and it just fills the window about 3/4th of the way.

3. How do I get Firefox to stay on the dashboard? It's gone everytime I turn off my MBP.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

1.) Click the apple logo top left, about this mac.
    2.) the zoom button (green one) maximisies the window to the page content rather than the screen. I believe Opera has full screen viewing if you really want it or Firefox extensions might add it.
    3.) I assume you mean the dock rather than dashboard. Go to you applications folder find firefox and drag it to the dock. IT'll then stay there. The dock is the thing on the main screen with all of the icons on it. The dashboard is a separate layer with widgets on it accessed by F12.

3. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

1::apple: click icon, top left corner "About this Mac"
    2:Safari: :apple:same corner "Dock" turn hiding on - then maximize your windows
    3:right click on icon in dock and select "Keep in Dock"
    cheers

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

3. When Firefox is running, right click or click & hold on its dock icon, and select "Keep in dock."

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Whether or not Firefox is running, drag its icon to the Dock.

6. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

just curiously,why would someone make a browser's window full screen??
    maybe you like the white spaces on the 2 sides...i can understand you used to them in IE XD...

7. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, now how do I right click on the MBP?

8. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

Just habit I guess. I've never had or used a mac. I thought that's the way it should be and I just had something screwed up.

9. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Click and hold / Control+Click

Tip: If you want tabs in Safari, it's in preferences. I had problems with this when switching, so I thought I'd tell you. :)

10. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I do this with the MBP trackpad?

11. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you! Especially for that Safari tip. I just finished checking a box in preferences where you hold two fingers on the trackpad and click for a right click.

12. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

You can do a ctrl click, or go into system prefs (apple>system preferences), go to keyboard and mouse, go to trackpad, and enable "Two fingers for secondary click."

13. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

This is an important point.

As you become more familiar with the way OS X works you will find that many operations are designed to be drag/drop between windows. This means that you will need to see both windows. I have had to show several people (switching from Windows to OS X) why the "full screen habit" actually obstructs a lot of OS X and app functionality. (I did the same thing when I bought my first Mac 3 years ago).