Mac newbie

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hndn, Apr 2, 2009.

1. hndn macrumors regular

Well, I've been using PC for years & decided to switch to Mac. My plan was to purchase the aluminum but Micro center has the white macbook for $800 after $200 rebate (in-store pickup only), that's $600 different so I decided to get the white. I checked online & it stated "out of stock" then today I drove to the store & there were 2 left...so, don't trust the online info.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0305909

I love it already.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Congratulations on the new Mac! I'm sure that you'll enjoy it for a long time to come, and feel free to ask any questions that come to mind, the people here are very knowledgeable :)

3. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

4. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

cool man, congrats, I guess you're cool enough to be a mac person haha. I say google the hell out of your questions and make yourself at home here. Ppl are generally willing to help answer questions. Good luck! ENJOY!

5. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

i say Mroogle the hell out of ur questions because almost everyone here is willing to answer, some ppl do get ticked off when someone asks a question thats been asked to death. congrats on ur mac

6. gamer2502 macrumors regular

great choice i would have got the white one if they came with the 9400m but they were still shipping with intel graphics when i bought my aluminum macbook:apple:

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You deserve an award for this post ;)

8. KillerMac macrumors newbie

KillerMac

Dude do you live around OC I bought my aluminium macbook in Microcenter for 1000 I got $300 dollars off!!! Microcenter is the best!!! They are having a Mac Madness sell for this moth. I almost bought a Mac Mini for $399 but they were sold out, I should have gone to the store and checked. Wow im starting to sound like an advertisement lol well just wanted to inform they have some great deals this month.

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

i also just got a macbook a few days ago as well, thing is just sick...

10. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

when did you buy yours? I wanted the aluminum but haven't seen that price for brand new.

11. gungadin macrumors newbie

Congrats!

You will love it even more if you add RAM. I am at 4GB now but understand you can go to 6GB. Inexpensive and easy to do. I did it at the MacStore but felt pretty stupid when I found out how easy it was to do yourself and how much cheaper it would have been!

You will be surprised how fast you will "need" it...hehe

12. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

I have the white, 4gb max. The only info I found for RAM is DDR2 667mhz, is this pc5300? Would you please help me with more info? I'll see if the price is cheap to upgrade :)
    Thanks much.

13. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

By the way, I have 2 concerns:
    1. Does the power turn off automatically after fully charged? (my old Dell does, its green light goes out)
    2. Do I need to install any anti virus?
    Will have more along the way.
    Thanks.

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

yes.
    no.

15. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Wow, I never heard of microcenter, but I looked it up and there's one literally 2 blocks from my grandma's house in Sunnyvale, CA. I may have to go next time I'm there.

Congrats on the new MacBook!

16. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for inputs & motivation. I'm happy with the White, I still like the Aluminum for it's LCD, after all, features are the same.
    HDD is only 92GB from 120GB???

17. KillerMac macrumors newbie

KillerMac

I bought mine on December 31, 2008. It was a one day deal Microcenter sold out that day on aluminum macbooks. I out smarted a guy that was so busy looking at the price that he could not believe of $999.00 that I Just went up to one of the guys selling in the store and asked if he had any macbooks left and he said he had only one:D So of course i said ill take it :cool:

18. KillerMac macrumors newbie

KillerMac

I bought mine on December 31, 2008. It was a one day deal Microcenter sold out that day on aluminum macbooks. I out smarted a guy that was so busy looking at the price that he could not believe of $999.00 that I Just went up to one of the guys selling in the store and asked if he had any macbooks left and he said he had only one:D So of course i said ill take it :cool:

Dude you have to go they have the best prices ever! You can even order online I recomend it:cool: This month all macs are 200 dollars of except aluminium macbooks

19. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

20. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

Go to System Preferences > Accounts > "Guest" and make sure that account has permission to access the applications you want them to be able to use.

21. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

I don't see any applications listed to choose from.

22. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

Is it possible to have a separate window in yahoo IM? I'm afraid I might send the message to the wrong person.
    Thanks.

23. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

I have my white MB for a week now. (OMG can't tell you enough how much I love it) Today I just realized something: the battery was 100% charged for the first few days but has drained down 4%. It was fully charged last night, unplugged it this morning & off to school. I've been working on my MB for several hours, on fully charged power, then unplugged, the power now read 96%. I charged once a day, so there are 7 cycles so far.
    The different is not that much, I'm just curious. I searched online, there are others still with 100% after a few months.
    Anyone having the same issue?
    Thanks.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

25. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Was it the one with the Nvidia9400 chipset if not then it wasnt that great a deal. But about that battery thing read this it will explain it but its normal. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1909