Mac notebook recommend

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zoola, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Zoola macrumors newbie

Hey there Mac rumors community, lately I wonder if I should buy a Mac notebook and would like to read your opinion about it.

It all began with my acceptance for college, I were looking for an device good to bring with me for lectures. Also I knew that I would travel more often and have to work in different places. So I made the decision to leave my old friend tower PC and get myself a more mobile Laptop.

A while ago I bought myself an iPod, followed by an iPhone. I were convinced by the products from Apple and had the intention to build a circle of Mac OS's. So I've decided to get myself an MacBook.

So far so good I know what I want but what do I need?

My first mark: The MacBook Pro 2014 with Retina Display 13" and 128Gb SSD, very solid overall specs but no graphic card

My second thought was a Mac mini, but that was taken out by its immobility. After that it's a pretty good little machine isn't it?

My third intention: MacBook Air 13" without retina, lesser overall but twice Gb SSD and a battery life of 12h! Hours

It's growing late and I leave it here now, feel free to post me your feedback

Thanks, sharing your time

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What do you need the dedicated GPU for? Gaming? If not for gaming, then Intel's crap GPUs will work for your needs.

Note: I always hate Intel-branded GPUs because Intel pretty much forces us to use them.

3. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Intel Iris Pro worked great with games for me.
    Minecraft ran well on it.

4. Zoola thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I do gaming, but not much. I guess the Intel graphics will do the job for one or two hours. On Lan party's I could take my old tower anyway.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If gaming is your thing, test drive a Mac at the Apple Store. Ask the concierge to help you out and explain to them your current debacle on the dedicated GPU.

However, do bare in mind, the dedicated GPU is only available on the high end 15" MBP. Hence, you'd be shelling out quite a lot for it.

6. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

In all honesty the integrated graphics on the MacBook Pros is fairly capable - I don't think you'd have any issues with it.

Keep in mind that the MacBook Air and the Mac Mini both have weaker integrated graphics than what is offered by the MacBook Pro with Retina display.

7. Zoola thread starter macrumors newbie

Good I'm confident now about the graphics and I think I'll go with the pro model.
    But I'm not certain if I really should spend the 200$ extra for just 128GB more SSD.
    But 128GB just feels too weak to be serious, even with an external drive.
    Btw has anyone experience with the "G-technology HDD" equipped with Thunderbolt?

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Take a look at refurbs

Take a look at refurbs, the 2013 spec is almost exactly the same and the discount could give you the extra ssd for the same price.