Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What computer do you own/use?

• Mac

Votes: 73 36.9%
  • PC

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • Both

Votes: 104 52.5%
  • None, but looking to buy.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
rmhop81 said:
haha as u can tell this is the INTERNET not english class.....why do people always try to attack grammar as if i am being graded on how i type on the INTERNET.
Hey, your post's grammer bothered me too. I don't like reading posts like that. In fact, because of the grammer I didn't read your post beyond the first sentence. A post need not be perfect, but a blatant disregard of English rules smacks of dim-wittedness or ignorance or a desire to arrogantly rewrite the rules of etiquette. Now, if the latter be your goal then I can respect that, but I certainly won't read it to find out.

Your post looked like that spray-painted graffiti you see on the side of subway cars in New York in old movies. It doesn't look good, so people don't want to read your opinion. That's why people comment on your grammer (or anyone else's).

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Here's a thought: If you cannot stand people with bad opinions of Dells, then don't come to MacRumors, or any other online community where people appreciate computing experience, productivity and quality over sheer price.
the people who can't stand reasonable debate is you and OP, and i don't think you can restrict the meaning of this forum in such a way, mods are not dictators. and you are being unfair to call ppl trolling when they have valid complaints.

Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Then, both of you, take your issues back to that thread, and don't frell up this one, too...
wow, how nice, u allow op to spill his bashing to a new topic, while nobody allow to follow? if u wanna restrict the un-necessary waste of forum space, u can just lock this post.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
clevin said:
the people who can't stand reasonable debate is you and OP, and i don't think you can restrict the meaning of this forum in such a way, mods are not dictators. and you are being unfair to call ppl trolling when they have valid complaints.
I'm not a mod, and as you can see I didn't actually bother to post in that other thread, because I'm fed up with the subject... we've all heard all the complaints before... many, many times... so I call troll whenever newbies come around screaming "Macs are overpriced" usually along with a "OMG!!11!one! dells r so much cheaper"!1!!!"
clevin said:
wow, how nice, u allow op to spill his bashing to a new topic, while nobody allow to follow? if u wanna restrict the un-necessary waste of forum space, u can just lock this post.
That alone took me twice as much time to read than it should have... and, again, I cannot lock threads, or posts. (How do you lock a post, anyway?)

devincco

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
Own a old Athlon 1800, but going to make the switch from the dark side. Just need to figure out which Mac is right for me.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I'm not a mod, and as you can see I didn't actually bother to post in that other thread, because I'm fed up with the subject... we've all heard all the complaints before... many, many times...
That alone took me twice as much time to read than it should have... and, again, I cannot lock threads, or posts. (How do you lock a post, anyway?)
under the table body of the posts, there will be a icon like a lock, clicking to lock the post.
I had the wrong impression that you are a mod, sorry if that was wrong impression.
I understand the price-comparison posts has been brought up 100000 times, but as long as neither side can persuade the other side, it will show up again. and there IS a point for it being debatable all the time at the first place.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
spinne1 said:
Hey, your post's grammer bothered me too. I don't like reading posts like that. In fact, because of the grammer I didn't read your post beyond the first sentence. A post need not be perfect, but a blatant disregard of English rules smacks of dim-wittedness or ignorance or a desire to arrogantly rewrite the rules of etiquette. Now, if the latter be your goal then I can respect that, but I certainly won't read it to find out.

Your post looked like that spray-painted graffiti you see on the side of subway cars in New York in old movies. It doesn't look good, so people don't want to read your opinion. That's why people comment on your grammer (or anyone else's).
HAHA! This is the part I love. The people who rag on someone for their GRAMMAR yet can't even spell the word. I see this in almost every thread when someone has to get onto somebody about how they type. Again, this is the INTERNET.......WHO CARES.

Mitthrawnuruodo said:
What's a "typing habit"? Does that mean you actually know how to type but choose to ignore proper spelling and punctuation?

If so, think how much easier it would be for others, like me, to understand any issue you want to discuss, including this one...

English is hard enough, for frell's sake, and I don't like playing "Guess what word I'm not bothering to type".

You are not being graded... barely understood...

Then, both of you, take your issues back to that thread, and don't frell up this one, too...

how is U hard to understand? Not very different from YOU......

the OP started this thread for this certain reason or he wouldn't bash pc users in the poll...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
clevin said:
under the table body of the posts, there will be a icon like a lock, clicking to lock the post.
What good is it to lock a post...? ;)

clevin said:
I understand the price-comparison posts has been brought up 100000 times, but as long as neither side can persuade the other side, it will show up again. and there IS a point for it being debatable all the time at the first place.
What sides? You're at MacRumors... if you want sides go somewhere neutral... as for the other side... well, I won't tell you where to go... :D :D :D

rmhop81 said:
how is U hard to understand? Not very different from YOU......
Vel, det kan være ganske vanskelig å forstå, spesielt for en som har et annet morsmål enn engelsk. Og lingvistisk sett er U veldig langt unna YOU, selv om de er veldig like, fonetisk...

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Vel, det kan være ganske vanskelig å forstå, spesielt for en som har et annet morsmål enn engelsk. Og lingvistisk sett er U veldig langt unna YOU, selv om de er veldig like, fonetisk...

"Well , facts can be far more difficult to apprehend , especially for a as have a different everyday language than british. And lingvistisk am U awfully by far away YOU , although they are fonetisk awfully alike"

i understood that thanks!

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
roland.g said:
There are as expected a lot of PC/Windows/Dell bashers here on MR. There are as many (or so it seems) defenders of the other side. I came to MR to learn about what is expected and to share with other Mac users, make informed decisions and get usefull tips and software solutions.

I'm curious about what brings the Mac bashers/PC defenders here, why the spend so much time here, are they just green with envy/upset that Macs aren't cheaper cause it's what they really want, etc etc etc.

So here is a poll. What do you use? Mac. PC. Both. None, but looking to buy.

Is this type of post even legal?

PS: I assume by PC you mean windows, and I assume by "none, but looking to buy" you mean the people who are members of an apple rumor site, and post on that site, but dont own computers?..............

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Not sure what a fanboy is... something to do with a boyband like 'nsync or 98 degrees. I don't hate on PCs, I just choose not to use them if I can avoid it, that said I use a Dell all day at work. Nothing I can do about it. Nor do I hate on PC users, just those who want to tell me that Apple is overpriced, not worth the premium, etc. I would love it if Macs costs less. But they don't. I can't do anything about it. Like a said, I gave it to rmhop81 that the Dell was less expensive. I also said that I come here for info on what is coming out, etc. - the rumor part of it. I use the forums to help make buying decisions, learn about great software, third party accessories, tricks and anything else that can help enhance my computer using experience. I also try to give some advice when I can. And on occasion I enter into some debate. What I was asking however, is what makes those who so vigorously (good thing Norway and Dallas aren't down the street from eachother) get bent about why Macs cost so much, or why this or that about Dells and Windows, etc. come to MacRumors:Forums - the place for all things Mac.

I guess your answer rmhop81 is that you have and love both (which I won't try to understand the loving Windows part) and that you seem to be on a mission to deflate those who sit on their lofty Mac pedestal looking down their pointy noses at you. However, what you seem to misunderstand is that I'm not a fanboy, I don't judge you or condemn you for have a PC or a Dell or whatever. I simply like what I like and will continue to. There are actually a lot of things that Apple could improve upon, and even a few that they could take from Windows (though not many). I enjoy my Apple Experience and have never really enjoyed the Windows one.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
rmhop81 said:
"Well , facts can be far more difficult to apprehend , especially for a as have a different everyday language than british. And lingvistisk am U awfully by far away YOU , although they are fonetisk awfully alike"

i understood that thanks!
Well, I didn't...

Just be glad my English skills are a bit better than Bablefish Norwegian to English translation, or whatever it was that translated that, because that was really, really bad... :D :D

...and either way: It took you some extra time, didn't it...? Which was my initial point... ;)

Uselessdreamer1

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006
Kentucky
i have both a PC and a mac. The PC is a HP pavilion with an amd athlon 3200+ in it, 160 gig hdd, dvdrw/cdrw, i just need to buy more ram for it. Its only got 512mb:rolleyes: My mac is my newest addition. I have a beautiful white macbook 1.82 ghz and 1 gig ram with 100 gig hdd. I love it. I cant harldy stand typing/being on my PC but its there as a workhorse. I think from now on, im a MAC man though:p

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
@ work: 1.8g G5
@ home: P4 3.0c that I built + AthlonXP 2200+ HP notebook given to me, both running XP Pro

As soon as I have the money to purchase a Mac for home, I will no longer own any Windows PCs.

I don't have a (biased) favorite or fanboy gripe between either platform, but after working in OSX for over a year and a half every day, I prefer working in the Mac environment. Adding onto that is the fact that I've seen 4 XP PCs get owned by spyware within the last 3 weeks (including my desktop which I keep cleaned and updated regularly), so I've hit a period in my life where I'm ending my Windows relationship. :)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Now that would be a great switcher ad.
Someone ending their relationship with Windows.
User (woman) breaks up with PC.
PC asks is there someone else.
In walks Mac. User and Mac hold hands.
PC asks, well can we still be friends.
User hesitates a moment, then says no.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I still have my old PC around for the few Windows-only apps I run. It's almost 9 years old, but still runs just fine. :)

My 17" 1.25 GHz G4 iMac will be celebrating its 3rd birthday in December. It's running great and I don't see myself needing to upgrade for another year at least.

My wife will be buying a MacBook once they get C2D. :cool:

boxlight

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2006
At home, my 20" intel iMac and nothing else.

Used to have a P4 2.8GHz Sony VAIO desktop which was a pretty nice PC, but switched to Mac early this year. Wanted a Mac for years, and when Apple announced Bootcamp that was the clincher for me. (I need to test my Java code on Windows.)

I use a PC clone with Win XP at work.

boxlight

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Work forces the use of the PC, home is the PowerMac and there are other PC's as well - most work done on Mac - need to replace that Dell notebook - I think I need to drop it...when Leopard is out of course (that way I get the new OS and iLife07 bundled) like saving over $200...;)

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
To mac or not to mac

I own 3 macs and about the same in windows boxes and even a couple linux boxes (Old PC converts) I enjoy see strong and weak point of all three. makes for interesting talks over beers with my mac Zealot friend... so much so I started a website to express my troubles...

D

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
yellow said:
I own both. I support both as a vocation.

That's where I'm at also. I have to be proficient in both and own several PCs and my Powerbook. I absolutely fell in love with OS X though and am currently converting my programming skills from Visual Studio .NET on Windows to XCode on the Mac.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
ddekker said:
I own 3 macs and about the same in windows boxes and even a couple linux boxes (Old PC converts) I enjoy see strong and weak point of all three. makes for interesting talks over beers with my mac Zealot friend... so much so I started a website to express my troubles...

D

Ok, so I read your Mounting article on OSX.

1. you must admit it is nice being able to run a program direct from the install image and to be able to install the program by dragging it into the applications folder since many many apps are self contained. It makes looking at the contents of your drive much neater.

2. i also like to save those dmg install files to a folder or archive them to disk so that i them for later if need be or to install on another machine.

3. i personally like being able to drag to trash, or command-e to eject a usb drive or networked HDD rather than having to do the safely remove hardware routine in windows.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
I use both. PCs and Macs are both tools. When I need to accomplish a specific task and the PC is better suited towards that task, I'll use my PC. Same goes for my Mac. In the end, they're both just computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.